Flybridge Stowage Compartment from PVC Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I never could figure out what this hole in the flybridge bulkhead ("dashboard") was from. PO had covered it up with a piece of varnished hardwood, but it was looking kind of ratty already when I bought the boat:

4339-albums435-picture2854.jpg

I've been experimenting with PVC board (Starboard, Azek, etc.) so I thought I'd try something a little more complex. Here's what I ended up with:

4339-albums435-picture2855.jpg

Not bad. I still have a long way to go before I consider myself proficient with this material, but I'm learning.

I may attack that access hatch with the peeling paint (over teak!) you see on the left next.

That is a nice bit of cabinetry work. But I believe that Starboard is polyethylene which is why no cement will really work with it. I have used 5200 with screws and that works ok.

So, what did you use and where did you get it. Starboard is kind of expensive at places like Jamestown Distributers.

David

The original hole looks like a fire extinguisher insert...they were made from that cheap plastic that only lasted 5 years or so.

There is a starboard glue I believe...check their website....or good marine distributer.

Tom, your cabinetry looks good in that location. A much better look than a crummy old piece of wood. Is that lower right section a drawer?

I've used Starboard a couple of times where I had to glue it. It needs to be "flamed" before glue with adhere. That is done by moving a hot propane flame over it, holding the propane torch a couple of inches away from the surface, and keeping it moving, not stopping.

When you do that 4200 and 5200 will adhere to it.

I thought about drawers, but it's just too small. That bottom plate is just to allow me to pile "junk" in there without it all spilling out. The top shelf has a little lip, too.

I agree the hole looked about the right size and shape for one of those fire extinguisher holders.

This is made from 1/2" Azek PVC board from the big-box home improvement store, held together mostly by PVC cement. Good to know about Starboard & cement, but that stuff is too pricey for me to play with at this point, anyway.

Great improvement, Tom. Next project!

That is a nice bit of cabinetry work. But I believe that Starboard is polyethylene which is why no cement will really work with it. I have used 5200 with screws and that works ok.

So, what did you use and where did you get it. Starboard is kind of expensive at places like Jamestown Distributers.

David

Try and find a plastics supplier/fabricator in your neighbourhood.

I had a new hatch cover made by TAP Plastics, north of Seattle. They have shops along the West coast Whilst in the shop I noticed they had an 'offcuts' bin with Starboard in various thicknesses. They sell it by the pound. I got into the habit of calling in every now and then to stock up on pieces of Starboard, and still have quite a number left even after being back in Australia for a couple of years and having done quite a few little projects. I sure will miss them when I run out.....

Oh, and I asked them what to use to glue starboard together and they said 'screws'.

+1 for TAP Plastics. I had them make a new dashboard out of Starboard for my flybridge to cover all the old holes and install new instruments. I gave them a template and they cut it out and rounded over the edges at a very reasonable price. I've also bought extra pieces from their cut-off bin for various projects.

Sudbury Elastomeric Sealant is the only adhesive/sealant I know of that will stick to Starboard without a lot of special preparation. It's pretty nice stuff. It skins over quickly and completely sets in 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom