View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
koliver
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Another Dinghy Towing Question

Since 1984 I have had an inflatable. At that time it was an Achilles, Se11, soft bottom, wooden floor, with a 15 Merc on the stern. It towed well, and the painter length was just less than what would go from the cleat to the prop and back out to the bow of the dinghy. Next dinghy was a Caribe 10, hard bottom, 20 Yammy on the stern. It towed a little less well, as it needed trim tabs to run properly, so there was more drag. Same theory on the painter length, never a problem. Current dinghy is a Caribe 12 with a 40 Honda. Still tows well, heavier, so more drag, but never a problem. With air filled Hypalon tubes, no danger of damage to either the dinghy or the big boat. The only concern I have had with any of the dinghies, was checking the painter for chafe at the cleat and the bow fitting. So far none found. I have some great pix of the first mentioned dinghy surfing up to forward of the transom, as I surfed the big boat in 7 ft seas in Malaspina. Great ride, and the dinghy was never in danger of going sideways, flipping, or otherwise getting out of control.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote