Delivery to Tahiti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Arctic Traveller
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
I'm taking a boat to Tahiti in May (Nordhavan).* I hope to spend a few days there prior to flying home, but have no idea what to do or where to go.* If anyone has been there and has recomendations on what not to miss, that would be great.* I expect to be mostly land based once we arrive, so island info rather than cruising info will be helpfull. Thanks ........Arctic Traveller

Dude.

*You're my hero.

Can you do a blog or something that we can follow along.

*Do you have the technology.

SD

If you're trying to make us jealous, well, you've succeeded.

We spent a few months there in 2000. If you're going to be in Papeete, Moorea is only 10 miles away, post card beautiful with great hiking. Papeete also has a festival in July that all 3 island groups participate in. Don't miss it if you're there. The sailboat fleet from Panama and North America go through there starting in May and maybe you could catch a ride for a few days to some of the outer islands.

Are you going via Hawaii or the Marquesas? If the Marquesas, even better. That gives you a chance to go through all 3 island groups.

Tell us about your ride.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Puerto Merdero, Chiapas, MX

A+ on Moorea...
Papeete isnt a place to spend much time.. it's not the real Polynesia..
If you get a chance to stop in the Marquesas they are amazing...

When we arrived in Papeete we entered the pass after midnight and anchored off the beach.. in the morning we awoke to the sounds of the congregation of the open air church singing...
It was magical,
HOLLYWOOD

Arctic Traveller wrote:* If anyone has been there and has recommendations on what not to miss, that would be great.* I expect to be mostly land based
While not really a land based activity, the diving/snorkeling is supposed to be fantastic (if you don't mind the sharks).
I think I can fit in your sea bag (as in stowaway).** KJ

I happen to have time off in May...let me know!!!....
wink.gif

Jeff, I'd be curious to know the route, tankage and refueling plan.

Jeff; Thanks for the offer. Trying to clear my calendar. I'll let you know when I am free to join you.

koliver wrote:

Jeff; Thanks for the offer. Trying to clear my calendar. I'll let you know when I am free to join you.
You bet................* Well actually it's not my boat, and I didn't pick the crew, but if I could take everyone who wanted to go, I would. We do have some room on our Alaska spring trip though, see the classifieds for info.

The Nordhavn is currently in Hawaii, and it's a straight shot to Tahiti, non stop* fuel wise.* The current estimate is 12 to 14 days underway. I have not done a lot of research on the trip, but I wonder if anyone knows what kind of temperatures to expect when we get there?* Currently, were under a lot of snow here, looking forward to something warmer.............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

*I wonder if anyone knows what kind of temperatures to expect when we get there?* Currently, were under a lot of snow here, looking forward to something warmer.............Arctic Traveller

Tahiti is a little more than 17 degrees south of the equator, you should be comfortably warm.**** KJ

KJ wrote:

*... you should be comfortably warm.**** KJ
I'd be uncomforablly warm (and sweaty if I'd dare to lift a finger.)

skipperdude wrote:

Dude.

You're my hero.

Can you do a blog or something that we can follow along.
I'm talking to an editor about a possible arcticle for Passage Maker Magazine. I don't know if my writing skills are adequate though, we will see.............Arctic Traveller

Yep, you are going from 21N to 17S.....It can actually get cool in the evenings(upper 60s to low 70s with a breeze). I think the further South and West you go you start getting out of the trade winds and loose that cool breeze.

A.T.
When we did the run from Mexico to the Marquesas we sweat in places that we didn't even know existed!... what we would of given to be in a trawler with ac!
have a great trip... you wont believe that over a hundred miles away you will be able to smell land after a couple weeks at sea..
HOLLYWOOD

Arctic Traveller wrote:

*I wonder if anyone knows what kind of temperatures to expect when we get there?* Currently, were under a lot of snow here, looking forward to something warmer.............Arctic Traveller
Well, today's high and low were 87 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit with a current humidity of 58 percent.

I had a friend who spent some time in that area.
An interesting thought .
He spent a year island hopping he said he paid for the entire trip by trading T shirts Short pants and fish hooks.
swapped for pearls and other unique items found in the area.

Sold the stuff stateside.

This was about 20 or so years ago.

It was a great story about interacting with the locals.

He did the trip in a 32ft sailboat and he didn't even have a motor in the boat.
total trip took him 2&1/2 years. California and back.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:54:18 AM

skipperdude wrote:

I had a friend who spent some time in that area.
An interesting thought .
He spent a year island hopping he said he paid for the entire trip by trading T shirts Short pants and fish hooks.
swapped for pearls and other unique items found in the area.

sold the stuff sateside.

SD
Must have been a while back, I'd guess.* They want two arms and at least one leg (two legs for black) for the pearls there now.* Diving and sailing are splendid and hiking is fun but hot.* Not much else there but lots of Gauguin T shirts for sale.* We liked Bora Bora of course which is stunning, but check out the relatively unvisited island of Huahine.* Huahine only has tiny airport*and doesn't (or diddn't)*get the cruise ships and the people are super happy to see tourists, I highly recommend it.

You bet................* Well actually it's not my boat, and I didn't pick the crew, but if I could take everyone who wanted to go, I would. We do have some room on our Alaska spring trip though, see the classifieds for info.

The Nordhavn is currently in Hawaii, and it's a straight shot to Tahiti, non stop* fuel wise.* The current estimate is 12 to 14 days underway. I have not done a lot of research on the trip, but I wonder if anyone knows what kind of temperatures to expect when we get there?* Currently, were under a lot of snow here, looking forward to something warmer.............Arctic Traveller

this is what you do for work i am guessing..
delivery for a charter or change of owners?
how big of a crew do you take along (understand you are not in position to hire staff i am just curious).

Per wrote:

this is what you do for work i am guessing..
delivery for a charter or change of owners?
how big of a crew do you take along (understand you are not in position to hire staff i am just curious).

Your correct, we do deliverys when we can get them, but mostly we do trawler training charters on our own boat.* Currently, I'm in the middle of a delivery of a Defever purchaced by a guy in Australia who had to fly home.* Unfortunatley, were only taking it to Vancouver B.C. to be loaded on a cargo ship.* I'd rather take it the whole way, but a Defever is clearly not the boat for a trip like that.* As for crew size, it totally depends on the boat and trip.* The bigger the boat and the further the trip, the larger the crew.* For the current delivery (Defever 44) two people is plenty as we stop at night.* Interestingly, we had a lot of freezing spray on Friday, and spent much of our time working on the heater.**

On deliverys between Alaska and Seattle, I like a crew of three, so we can have two people in the pilot house looking for logs at all times. That leaves one person to attend to the engine room, cooking or resting.* Still, I've done the trip with two people lots of times, it pretty well depends on the boat.*

On off shore, over night passages, I think a minimum of three is needed, and I usually set a four on, eight off watch schedule.* That gives you plenty of time to eat, sleep or just rest.* My favorite watch is four to eight, as I get to see the sunset, and the sunrise.* I'm at my worst on the twelve to four, as about two in the morning, I seem to be at a really low ebb and have trouble staying awake.*

If it was up to me, I'd always have a crew of three or four, but many owners don't want to pay for them, so we go with the minimum.................Arctic Traveller* *

Jeff

I noted freezing spray was forecast yesterday and Friday*for QC Sound area. Is that where you currently are passing through?*

With insurance deck bladder tanks and slow RPM, many DeFevers have crossed the Atlantic and done the South Seas. Our range at 6.0 knots is about 1800 nm with 10% spare. The longest passage is generally west coast of NA to Hawaii.

Brian Calvert is keeping a good blog of his Selene 48 trip to South Seas and NZ. He used bladder tanks but was pretty conservative* on RPM so made the trip quite handily.*

Get some good pics of the Tahiti voyage. Maybe we can hook in Juneau this summer and look over your shoulder at what you did.

I may have missed it, what Nordhavn model are you skippering? Will* you use a weather router? Are you departing from Honolulu?

sunchaser wrote:

Get some good pics of the Tahiti voyage. Maybe we can hook in Juneau this summer and look over your shoulder at what you did.

I may have missed it, what Nordhavn model are you skippering? Will* you use a weather router? Are you departing from Honolulu?
I'm actually hoping I don't spend too much time in Juneau this summer, as I may have a job with Inner Sea Discovery on their first season with two new cruise boats doing the inside passage. Still, send us a note when you get there.*

As for the Nordhavn 57, we will be leaving from Honolulu, but since the owner is aboard, I'm not the Captain.* The boat has the latest electronics, but I'm unsure about the router at the moment............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

sunchaser wrote:

I'm actually hoping I don't spend too much time in Juneau this summer, as I may have a job with Inner Sea Discovery on their first season with two new cruise boats doing the inside passage. Still, send us a note when you get there.*

As for the Nordhavn 57, we will be leaving from Honolulu, but since the owner is aboard, I'm not the Captain.* The boat has the latest electronics, but I'm unsure about the router at the moment............Arctic Traveller

interesting, i would have thought that whoever is responsible for the voyage is the Captain similar to flying, one person is ALWAYS designated PIC.

interesting, i would have thought that whoever is responsible for the voyage is the Captain similar to flying, one person is ALWAYS designated PIC.
Yup, always a good idea, and in this case it would be the owner who's incharge.............Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom