what is the story with BMW?i

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspire

Vessel Name
Skolmate
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
In searching for a cruiser I found one with a BMW diesel. What is there reputation?

Older boats, like the Lord Nelson Tug used BMW diesels. Not much support here in the US for them. If I bought a LNT today with a BMW I would be looking to repower with a John Deere or Cummins if anything serious happened to it.

David

I've never owned one, but I've heard they make a very good marine diesel. Their smaller engines (up to 50 hp) are based on the reliable Hatz diesel. The larger ones are a tunnel bore design, and somewhat more complicated.

From what I understand, most (all?) parts are still available through Mercury Marine, who bought out the BMW's marine division and continue to sell an updated version of the BMW diesels.

BMW into mercruiser

I posted this on a seperate thread

The BMW 6cyl diesels of the 1980's were made by VM motors in Italy , one of the largest diesel engine makers in the world. Now making very highly rated diesels for The american pickup truck market, the ram Eco-diesel.
Their latest marine engines have been designed with almost no external hoses to reduce leaking from hose failure issues.What a good idea! Proper designing not just maranizing.
VM motors got bought and sold again and again , see wiki.
BMW got out of the marine diesel Market and sold the 6 cyl to mercruiser who marketed it in the early 1990's . But they gave up when sales were not what they wanted.
The basic engines are great, maranization is always the issue, and the parts availability of older engine a real problem, same with most older engines.

I would be interested in anybody experience with the mercruiser 180hp turbo engine of the early 1990's , I'm looking at a boat with one of these engines but worry about parts a lot! Let alone finding somebody to work on it.
Warren
Ps yes the crank cases of the 6 cyl were tunnel bored one piece crankcase , very strong design. Harder to make but if it's already done its good to have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom