The Fuel System Upgrade Project: Episode II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the way around. I use Permatex #2, but someone else mentioned Rectorseal. I don't remember which number for that one though.

I have a tube of Permatex Blue from Auto Zone. (BTW... Rectorseal reco's #7 for use with fuel connections)

In production we go halfway and the loctite gets distributed when the fitting is installed.
Leave the first two threads bare as you don't really want the sealer to get into the plumbing, only the threads.

I only say this because we gets lots of valves back to do root cause of failure when our customers install their own fittings and use poor practices, thus getting loctite into the valve. You only need a little bit and it will seal.

Do O-Ring fitting need thread locker too?

Not required but it will keep the thread from ever backing off if used sparingly so as not to interfere with the o ring seal.

Spent yesterday working on the Starboard and figuring out the mounting system.

The 120v motor is a but heavy and makes the rig a but clumbsy to move around, so I put a few handles in the Starboard to help with the chore. It will make it a lot easier to deal with. Went over to my dad's house and put a 1/4" round-over all around the edges and in the handles. Just carrying it around the house feels easier and better
smile.gif

The mounting rig will be a piece of teak with a channel cut into it that will mate up with a piece of u-track mounted to the rear of the starboard. If you wonder why it's not at the bottom edge, it's because the stern thruster hoses come right below this rig and need just a few inches to cut that corner. Once the rig is hug on the u-track, the top will push up onto something that will be a lot like a hood pin for a car. Guide pin thru hole and big clip to hold in place. Get it?

Tom-

Attachments

• handles1.jpg
    handles1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 97
  • handles2.jpg
    handles2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 98
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 87
Today is final assembly. Using Permatex Blue on all the fittings. It's pretty messy. Took the middle-of-the-road from the advice I got... One was Permatex all the way and one was half... So 3/4 was the best bet. Everything seemed to go together fine.

One possible flaw I foresee is that if there is a break, those short pieces of hose will be tricky to replace, but I sort of have a plan if/when that happens.

Anyway, I still have a couple of things to work out, but all-in-all, I am happy with the results. I'll be taking it down this weekend for it's install.I cross my fingers that all will work out.

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 06:52:47 AM

Attachments

• assembly1.jpg
    assembly1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 96
  • finalassembly1.jpg
    finalassembly1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 110
  • manifold3.jpg
    manifold3.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 101
"One possible flaw I foresee is that if there is a break, those short pieces of hose will be tricky to replace, but I sort of have a plane if/when that happens."

By the time that happens perhaps my grandson will be reading this.

I suppose my point was also for disassembly. But like I said, there ARE workarounds.

I saw the installed version today. Very impressive.

gonzofuelsolutins.com** coming soon! ;)

Final installation day begins!

1) The clean slate. I really should have painted, but ran out of time.
2) A few hours of fabrication and she hangs on its rail-and-pin system. Seems pretty sturdy. We'll see.
3) Close-up of the hood pin used to secure the top. Had to use a small piece of 1/2" hose as a spacer. I figure that it will also do a good job to keep the pin from working out (like it could anyway)
4) About halfway through the plumbing. Slower progress than expected. Typical I suppose.

Looks like it may take another weekend to get fully done and get Dr. Perky running again. Still happy with the results so far.

Attachments

• install1.jpg
    install1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 97
  • install2.jpg
    install2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 388
  • install3.jpg
    install3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 96
  • install4.jpg
    install4.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 104
Your not going to leave it like that are you?

Just kidding, looks good ,except the dangling power cord.

You might want to strap it to the overhead or something.

Like the gray metal*timer box.

Keep up the good work.

*JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 25th of February 2011 08:03:18 PM

Very exciting! I'll bet it's killing you waiting to see that thing fill up the first time. Great work, and thanks for letting the rest of us piggyback on your efforts.

Ya did a nice job. Just tie the power cord up.

Ya' know... I KNEW you guys would drill me about the power cord.
biggrin.gif
I totally plan on putting it up... You think I'd go this far trying to be neat about it only to leave the cord dangling like that?
evileye.gif
lol I had just grabbed the camera after the big step of a successful electric motor wiring test and I was taking a rest from bilge yoga.

Thanks guy... I hope to finish the plumbing today... maybe. Might have to take the first mate for a bike ride for steamed OYSTERS. So maybe sunday
biggrin.gif

SHE IS ALIVE!!!

(Lost three attempts at typing an extensive post here from wanky keystrokes. The pics will have to speak for themselves.)

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• running1.jpg
    running1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 84
  • running2.jpg
    running2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 93
  • running3.jpg
    running3.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 88
  • running4.jpg
    running4.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 84
Congrats!!* By your expression I assume no Leaks!!

JohnP

Very clean!** Nice going Tom.* I wish my system was as nicely done.

Dam, now I'll have to go and redo my system as it looks completely primitive in comparison.
Your's looks bloody good.

1 question, filters used are not marine versions with metal spill trays at bottom.Any real reason.
Would not be condoned under survey rules in Aus. (State or Society...Lloyds etc)

Benn

Benn
I believe the metal bowls are to buy time in Fire. In the states they are required on inspected passenger boats.

Thanks y'all... I'm proud and thankful for all the help the Trawler Forum community has been, with extra props going out to Delfin, Forkllift, and Rick B. for going above and beyond!

Benn, there are a couple of reasons (and BTW, they are heat shields and not spill guards)... First, the two primary filter are my old ones. I didn't want to buy all new. I needed to save some cash. Second, when I bought one new one, I wanted them to all match. Third, The bowls can be added easy enough later. Fourth, I'm really not THAT interested in following the AYBS regs to the letter. I just don't see the point. If a surveyor takes points off for it (assuming I ever want to sell), the compensation I have to give them will be minimal.

I already have someone here in the marina that MAY want to buy one. Hmmm...

Tom-

I'll put together a full parts list for those of you that want to build on yourself.

Tom-

She started, she ran beautifully, and we boated for the first time in two months on a gorgeous 75 degree day here in North Carolina.

1) Pic of Wrightsville Beach from Masonboro Inlet.
2) The *poof* of goo that filled the polishing filter upon our return.Guess I'll need to plan for a physical tank cleaning in the near future. But good to know... it works!

Attachments

• beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 90
  • nasty.jpg
    nasty.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 90
Tom, you might just try burning the fuel that's in her if its old, refueling with fresh then going through 3 or 4 filters to see how much of the crud you can remove that's in the tanks.

GonzoF1 wrote:

Ya' know... I KNEW you guys would drill me about the power cord.
biggrin.gif
I totally plan on putting it up... You think I'd go this far trying to be neat about it only to leave the cord dangling like that?
evileye.gif
lol I had just grabbed the camera after the big step of a successful electric motor wiring test and I was taking a rest from bilge yoga.

Thanks guy... I hope to finish the plumbing today... maybe. Might have to take the first mate for a bike ride for steamed OYSTERS. So maybe sunday
biggrin.gif
Gonzo
Good move....there's an old trick when working around critics -
throw them a bone and intentionally leave something in error for them to criticize !
Then they will leave you alone!

Your system looks very nice !
R.

Larry M wrote:

GonzoF1 wrote:

...But good to know... it works!
Was there ever any doubt?

Are you kidding?!?!
biggrin.gif
(I know you are) It's only been the HUGE monkey on my back since day one of this project! You can plan and plan and plan, but until you hook it up and have it not shoot fuel all over the engine bay, or worse, drip from EVERY threaded seal, I was like a long-tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs just waiting to get my tail squashed.

Carl, I think that is the plan at this point. That fuel is almost a year old. The downsides are two-fold. First, it opens the tanks up to more growth during the summer. Second, the price of fuel may skyrocket and I am stuck with an extra $500 fuel bill when it comes time to fill-up.

Tom-

"That fuel is almost a year old"

Not a problem at all.

Oh yes and the system looks great...and what Ralph said.
wink.gif

Tom, year old fuel isn't very old, so the crud you're picking up is probably mostly the precipitated gunk that builds up in virtually all diesel tanks without some proactive way of removal.* Sump drains can certainly help, but not perfectly.* Have you sump drains?* If so, start there, but you might find that you can clean out the crud that has built up over the years with a few filter changes.* Any sign of water in the bottom of the bowl?

Don't know what a sump drain is... so no, I haven't one of those No water either, but I do know what that it.
wink.gif

Like I mentioned, I'll get a proper physical cleaning once I get a little money saved up. Really, my only concern about pulling off the inspection/cleaning hatches (round and about 15" across with about 20 bolts) myself is getting them sealed back up so I don't drip 300 gallons of fuel into my bilge. I guess I could pull them off and clean them, but pay someone with liability insurance to seal them back up for me. Still, I should probably burn a little more fuel off to make sure that it will all fit into one tank before I start. That means... MORE BOATING... YAY!!!!!

Tom-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom