Engine room ear protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicbus

Since I haven't lost my hearing yet I was wondering what people do for ear protection if they go in the engine room while the engine is running. *The previous owners had what looked like a shooting headset hanging on the door but sadly took it with them. *Any suggestions?
Dave

I use a set I also use for chain saw operation, and would recommend the same thing to you.

I had a spare shooting ear protection headset and put it on the boat for just this purpose. I always put it on before going down into the engine room when the engines are running.

Ear muffs are inexpensive and available at most hardware stores, industrial suppliers, gun stores, even places like Walmart and Fred Meyers.* Get the set that has the highest DB attenuation rating, the ratings are printed on the box.* If I plan to be in an noisy environment for more than a couple minutes, I supplement the ear muffs with ear plugs, wearing both at the same time. ...............Arctic Traveller

Cylindrical foam earplugs. Roll em up, stuff em in and they expand to fit. Really helps to cover up the Admirals snoring too. Let's hope she doesn't see this.

My hearing loss is so bad that I won't even attend a live music event without them.

not trying to change the subject but was wondering if anyone have experience with acoustiblok?
its a noise insulation material used around or shielding off noisy areas.

No experience with Acoustiblok but thanks ifor the responses, I found a pair of 25 db ones for under $20.

Dave

If I got in my engine room while the engine is running, I'd have much bigger problems than my hearing. Burnt flesh and getting caught in the belt system just to name a couple.
biggrin.gif

I too often use both the foam plugs and the earmuffs. At the very least one of the other at idle.
That ringing is no fun.

Thank you Sir. I do appreciate it.

Out of the water just to remind me of this spring and what I have to do.

Oh Boy!!

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 10:55:09 PM

Cant abide the twist into your ear plugs. Muffs for me. I have several pair, on the boat, in the workshop.

I wear corded plugs both at work (in the engine room) and on my own boat.
They hang round my neck and don't get in the way.
Good quality and have the same protection as muffs but not as bulky.
They are washable so last a long time.

Don't forget to carry spare soft pads with muffs as they lose their suppleness and therefore their sound isolation
properties after a while , especially if you store them in a warm place.

Benn

koliver wrote:

Cant abide the twist into your ear plugs. Muffs for me. I have several pair, on the boat, in the workshop.
If your talking about the soft foam ones, they are designed to be rolled up as small as possible between your fingers before insertion.* Some folks find it easier to gently pull up on the top of the ear prior to putting them.* Once in, most people find them quite comfortable as they expand and mold to your ear. One advantage is they don't loose efectiveness when wearing safety glasses, like the muff's do when the seal is lifted.* I often sleep with them in and have no problem as they are quite soft..........................Arctic Traveller

I wear them sleeping while we are ice breaking in the Hudson River. Steel and the ice makes for loud noise. After a day or two VERY tiring. Soft ear plugs help tremendously.

I do not wear ear protection or plugs.* The engine and engine room are not that loud as the exhaust is heat wrapped including the muffle to raw water muffler.* Most of the noise is the engines running.* The 671 rpm is about 1200 to 1500.* The Perkins gen set engine makes as much noise as the 671.* Non of the mechanics have wear them either.

P/F The engines are also pretty darn quiet when your on the dock as well. My engine hasn't made a peep for a couple of winter months. We'll be crankin' up the noise maker hery soon though!

Capt Carl ... Why do I think that handsome dude in the wheelhouse is looking at my crew through a two way mirror? By the way, you installed it backwards!

I like your wheelhouse a lot better than mine. The stove is a nice touch also. She is ready for adventure on the St Johns' river and points south.

Back
Top Bottom