Crown toilet will not empty bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calimari

Veteran Member
Have a Raritan crown head that will not empty bowl completely when flushed. What and where should I look, Thanks for any help.:blush:

If it flushes into a holding tank, the first thing to check is the tank vent for a blockage, especially if the toilet is "burping" and backing up.

If discharge is just sluggish, low voltage to the toilet is the leading cause.

You're in salt water...sea water mineral buildup can reduce the toilet discharge hose to 1/2", which would definitely slow down discharge.

Depending on the age of the toilet, it may just be a worn out discharge impeller...or a failed pump wall (part in the pump that looks like a CD)...in which case I strongly advise putting a whole rebuild kit in it, not just the one or two parts that have already failed 'cuz the rest aren't far behind.

Check all those possibilities...and if it's not one of 'em, give Raritan tech support a call: 800-352-5630

Thanks for the reply, suspect clogged hoses. How would you sugest cleaning out the discharge hoses. Thanks

Take them off and:
replace with new
Or
take them out on the dock and bang them a few times on the dock.

If there is build up the stuff will break up and fly out. Just do it so the stuff goes into the water. Plug the hose end nearest you or you will wear some of it.

Then flip the hose end for end and do it again.

Run a whole bunch of fresh water through before disconnecting any hoses as there will be water escape and you do not want fouled water.

Do not ignore the tank vent. I've had that happen.

Thanks for the reply, suspect clogged hoses. How would you sugest cleaning out the discharge hoses. Thanks

I can't imagine why anyone would willingly go through all it takes to pull hoses out--remove hose clamps, warm the hose to get it off the fittings, drag 'em through the boat to the dock to beat them, and then do it all again in reverse to put them back!

There's a product called Sew Clean Sew Clean ® | TRAC Ecological that will clean them out when used according to directions.

However, if your hoses are at least 10 years old , it's time to replace them. 10 years is the average working life of any hose--water, fuel, sanitation, exhaust--because the rubber or plastic (flex PVC) dries out over time. The hoses become hard and brittle and start to crack, leading to hose failure that can sink a boat if the thru-hull is open.

In my case it's quite easily done. Very short and accessible. Hoses were 5 years and they goofed up in the middle of nowhere. I now carry enough new hose for replacement.

YOu are correct though that for many installations my suggestion may not be a good one.

Ignore it since I cannot delete it.

Back
Top Bottom