Replacing Screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmiii

Vessel Name
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Make
Mariner 40
I have a very nice forward hatch screen that needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not able to replace the screen after removing it. The groove that the spline goes in to hold the screen is inside the frame and not accessible with the normal roller tool.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get the screen back in and tight?

I'm trying to add a picture of my hatch screen

Attachments

• 20160421_162335.jpg
    20160421_162335.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 145
Wow, A lot of views, but no ideas.
That's kinda where I am as well....

Greetings,
Mr. Wm. Yup, I DID do some cogitating on possible methods of reassembly but other than inching the spline in little by little using a thin slat of wood as a "pusher", no ideas. The big problem will be keeping the screen taut while trying to insert the spline. If someone made an offset roller tool, that might work but where to find such a beast? Still thinking. I haven't forgotten about ya'.

"If someone made an offset roller tool"

Look at the tools used to install windshield rubbers,

I'm pretty sure I can get the screen out as well as the old spline and have a clean channel to replace it.
But, like you, the only way I know is just ease it in a little at a time and hope for some amount of tightness.
Oh for that 'Offset roller' (I'll check an auto repair shop)

William Mayberry

Oh for that 'Offset roller'
William Mayberry

Wmiii
OK - came up w/ 2 possibilities...

Looks like Everhard is a leader in screen tools and mentions an offset fork.

"Everhard Products is a USA manufacturer, fabricating and assembling all its screen rollers at its Ohio facility. We were the first and only manufacturer to incorporate ergonomic improvements into our screen rollers by adding the cushion-grip sleeve, the offset fork, and now the soft grip, plastic handle. Our relationship with our customers and our engineering capability allow us to develop and produce special rollers that match the screen industry's needs"

From the pics it looks like the wheel may be offset slightly to one side - enough to enable you to work the spline - not sure?? Also might be worth a call to see if they have / can provide more of an offset? Seems like you should be able to work w/ the tool at a slight angle and still put some force on the spline.

Second possibility - Phifer Screen Mouse - seriously not a computer tool - this one is for window screens - video shows vertical use but may have enough of a grip to lay it flat and still exert some pressure on the spline in your situation

Last edited:
Awesome, Great ideas.
I'll run out to Home Depot and see if the Phifer Screen Mouse is the thing that will work.
Thanks,
Wm

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom