Shaft Struts 34 Californian LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Salted

Vessel Name
Knot Salted
Vessel Make
1981 Californian 34 LRC
1981 34 LRC

Just pulled my starboard shaft strut as it was bent 12 years and two owners ago. Noticed that these are not flat on top, but a shallow v as if they are meant to be single at centerline, not tandem. On both sides, the v was/is filled with lots of epoxy as filler and shim, more fore than aft to meet the required angle on the shafts.

8 3.5 inch 3/8 16 SS Bolts hold them each to the hull. Both have been solid, The only issue is the bent stbd side strut. Mounting bolts were bent as well, but no loss of seal, or it was re-sealed years ago after grounding. The port side was re-bedded 3 years ago for prior owner with no comments by servicer.

I will try to post a photo of the stbd strut with epoxy removed.

My question is: Are these factory original, or a later funtional misfit?

Attachments

• IMG_7879.jpg
    IMG_7879.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7886 (1).jpg
    IMG_7886 (1).jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Identical. I knew I could count on you!

Thanks FlyWright!!

Sorry, but your shafts, propellers, and rudders appear so very vulnerable.

Last edited:
May do something when I can study it hard. Right now it's almost May in Michigan, and this baby is going in asap. They've held up well for decades. - will try not to put her in sand or rocks. Thanks all, for the input.

Sorry, but your shafts, propellers, and rudders appear so very vulnerable.

I agree but accept the risk for the handling and redundancy advantages. I REALLY wish my boat had bilge keels to protect the props and stabilize roll. That would be the best of both worlds.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have tweaked props 3 times including a curled strut. Those original struts no longer reside on FlyWright. That's why I have insurance. I will say that after every insurance claim on my boat, it has emerged as a better boat that it was before the claim. The USCG Vallejo lost a vessel one night behind us and it hit my slip neighbor's boat. Put a hole in his transom that costs some bucks to fix right. If they had hit mine, I'd have a new swimstep. There's always next year!

(A shout out to the Vallejo USCG! I know you're watching. You guys rock!)

Last edited:
I wish I had seen this thread before last weekend when the boat got wet. I do not know if my struts have a vee mounting surface. I would not be surprised either way. If the are V'eed I would guess it was a decision to eliminate the need for an additional pattern and the cost of maintaining two part numbers. It is not a big deal if the v is there and need not be. Epoxy is magical stuff, and in this case, at least poses no risk.

Back
Top Bottom