Sheared off pipe nipple in block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes to the notch cut with a hacksaw. One notch and try the easy out or several and pick out. Try one then the other.

Either heat cycles (to loosen corrosion grip but brass really shouldn't have much in a coolant hose) or cold to shrink and losen...either will work...in this application I like the cold but if heat is handy, start with that.

The internal pipe wrench is nice too if easy to get and not too much $$$$.

Home Depot. Pretty inexpensive. I bought a single but the link is for a set. I used one to extract a broken off shower arm in my home. Worked like a champ.

I would replace the brass pipe with either SS pipe nipple or galvanized pipe or plain steel pipe nipple. SS is overkill for this, regular galvanized steel is just fine, your block is not SS.
Plenty of auto engines use steel pipe nipples for hoses.

Last edited:
Or as Ski suggested use a hydraulic fitting. Heavier wall, better quality steel. Plus they usually have a hex machined on them so you can use a simple open end wrench, NOT a pipe wrench.

Attachments

• Dormanpipenipple.jpg
    Dormanpipenipple.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nipple dilemma solved. I went with a steel hydraulic nipple (with hex in the middle) as a replacement.
For the extraction of the old nipple I used a tool (don't know what you call it) that is about 5 inches long with a square cross section and sharp edges on the square shape. After a good soaking in PB Blaster, I tapped in the tool and slowly but surely removed the obstinate nipple. It really grabbed the soft brass well and never slipped.
The spiral easy out tool that would have worked wanted to bottom out before making a good grab.
While I already have half of the coolant drained it seems like a good time to drain the rest and clean and service the heat exchangers. Never done that before either.
One thing, One thing leads to another. Now I cant get that 1980's song from The Fix out of my head.

Maybe Aussie ex Olympic swimmer Grant Hackett has some tips, he reportedly tried shearing off a nipple on a recent domestic flight. Oh wait, different kind of nipple.:)

Had to google that one. I did not see a nipple tweeker at my favorite tool store but I would have to say he is a bit of a tool. Although I have found that it usually takes two tools to create an altercation.

Gaston. Why do my drill bits tend to think ss is harder than hell. Rockwell hardness of 304 is 90-100, tool steel somewhere near 70.

Gaston. Why do my drill bits tend to think ss is harder than hell. Rockwell hardness of 304 is 90-100, tool steel somewhere near 70.

SS work hardens... So the cutting action hardens it.
Use sharp Cobalt bits and a cutting oil w slow speed and firm pressure..should make things easier.

Back
Top Bottom