Rant on boats for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A boat broker being honest ? ... LOL, surely you jest ! Just look at the class ( type ) of people that are in the boat brokerage business. At 10% commission they would sell their Grandmother(s) if they could. my rant also ..... as sadly, there is no integrity whatsoever in our fraternity.

Love all the virtues of the VHS radio :banghead: and the globe trotting
LORAN installation.
EVENRUDE dingy motors
Single engine listings where the pix obviously show twin controls.
NEW batteries installed in 2004.
Sleeps ...

love all the virtues of the vhs radio :banghead: And the globe trotting
loran installation.
Evenrude dingy motors
single engine listings where the pix obviously show twin controls.
New batteries installed in 2004.
Sleeps ...

lol....:)

Everyone that's hung up on appliances.

Maybe I should be more specific. I'm not so tight as to put in a 99.00 fridge in a boat that had a dual fuel fridge. It devalues the boat. Water heaters that use engine cooling system to heat water should be replaced with the same. I see listed boats that have the lines plugged from the engine and a Home Depot 6 gallon installed.

If your insurance company writes a policy for replacement then shouldn't you keep the boat as original as possible?

As far as hair dryers, coffee maker and microwave I could care less. Use whatever you want.

This thread was about the dirty, inadequate pictures, and overall pricing of boats. What you choose to do in your boat is your business.

When posted on an open forum....you kinda make it everyone's business....:D

Why'd you purchase a "dirty mess" boat at 1/4 million dollars if it was such a dirty mess?? Either you saw through the clutter and decided it was a good buy... or you are telling tales just to keep your story on line. From your previous posts, I read into it that you greatly disliked messy/dirty boats... so do I. However, instead of purchasing - I usually walk, in search of a better cared for vessel. Feel I must ask; why didn't you do so in this case? :facepalm: :confused:

It was a 42 Lagoon catamaran. I made the mistake of falling in love with the boat and didn't see how dirty it really was. Since your questioning my integrity I still have purchase contract laying around somewhere. It was in 2000 and only owned the boat for a short time.

Thank you for restating my point in different terms. :thumb:

And...I'll bet EVERYONE knows they are free to do what they wish. :dance:

Art is one of the nicest guys on the forum so be easy on him if you think he was trying to question your integrity. :socool:

Now me on the other hand......:D

When posted on an open forum....you kinda make it everyone's business....:D

15 posts in and he's already picking fights. Smh.

We need a remedial section where new posters have to go for a period of time to learn how to post before they are released out into the general population. ?

We need a remedial section where new posters have to go for a period of time to learn how to post before they are released out into the general population. ?

Had no intention of being combative. It was an opportunity to see how other people view the advertising of boats and the conditions. Art insinuated that I might be making up a tale. If I offended Art I'm sorry.

I hear you. That's the trouble with forums-- what we say in print doesn't come across correctly sometimes.

I have found this group to be extremely patient and willing to help most anyone with any problem. Lord knows I've asked and have had answered more than my share of stupid questions. The long-timers will poke fun sometimes and try to get your goat, but you gotta just roll with it.

You haven't been paying attention, Art. I've chimed in on two or three "headless" threads recently. Doesn't happen very often 'cuz I do try to remember the difference between having something to say and having to say something.

"... extremely patient and willing to help most anyone..."

giphy.gif

When we sold our Catalina 42 my wife staged it, I took the pictures and sent them to the broker. It made the boat look good, which it was. There were 5 for sale that year on the Bay, I was the only one that sold, for 90% of asking. During the survey EVERYTHING worked.

The ones that look crappy in the pictures are so because the owners don't care anymore. Most brokers don't care if you don't care. I remember my broker requiring a professional cleaning (after removal of personal belongings) of those sellers that had filthy boats.

Some brokers don't care enough to get their facts right and then barf a bunch of hyperbole in the listing. I really wonder how they stay in business.

"Nicest one on the Market"
"This one won't last"
"These engines will outlast all of us"
"Sips fuel"
"Perfect Liveaboard"

and on and on.

Last edited:
If your insurance company writes a policy for replacement then shouldn't you keep the boat as original as possible?

That depends... Obviously you don't want to DEvalue a boat by replacing top quality with junk...but unless you're restoring a museum piece, it makes no more sense to keep everything original on a 25 + year old boat that it does than it does to keep everything original in a 25 yr old house. Yet I continually come across countless boat owners looking for the original upholstery fabric for settees and dinette cushions on a 1970s boat...or the original cabin hardware.

I know that's not what you meant...but I've also known insurance companies to consider "identical replacement" to be something that may have been state of the art 20 years ago, but not today and that's all they'll pay for. Unfortunately a lot of owners settle for what the insurance company will pay for.

And btw...don't let this bunch of old crocks get to you...they're just putting you through what passes for this site's initiation ceremony.

Last edited:
My iPhone6 takes excellent photos and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for many situations including photos of my boat. It's only limitation is that it doesn't have a wide enough angle for interior shots. (I have a Nikon D7000 with wide angle for those shots.)

The iPhone captures great "wide angle" images by using the "pano" feature.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1461103168.840106.jpg

That depends... Obviously you don't want to DEvalue a boat by replacing top quality with junk...but unless you're restoring a museum piece, it makes no more sense to keep everything original on a 25 + year old boat that it does than it does to keep everything original in a 25 yr old house. Yet I continually come across countless boat owners looking for the original upholstery fabric for settees and dinette cushions on a 1970s boat...or the original cabin hardware.

I know that's not what you meant...but I've also known insurance companies to consider "identical replacement" to be something that may have been state of the art 20 years ago, but not today and that's all they'll pay for. Unfortunately a lot of owners settle for what the insurance company will pay for.

And btw...don't let this bunch of old crocks get to you...they're just putting you through what passes for this site's initiation ceremony.

99.99% of them have clauses that state if you change the boat you have to tell them, obviously so they can reconsider the boats value based on current equipment.

Ill also add that my own insurance company floored me with a letter stating that I should reconsider the amount I insured my rv and other boat for because their internal valuation was less than the policy was written for. I considered it kind of extraordinary of them to tell me I was throwing money at them for nothing.

I've said it a couple of times before - I love crappy selling brokers, boats that haven't been "staged", and lousy pics. I'd love it even more if there was a sign on the boat saying "Go away!". But then I'm probably looking for the "diamond in the rough" and not one in a Tiffany setting.

Yup, me too. I have happily bought cars, boats and houses that other potential buyers have rejected because of poor presentation or preparation on the part of the seller.

The iPhone captures great "wide angle" images by using the "pano" feature.View attachment 50945

There you go - I haven't used the pano feature but it looks great for scenery. It might give too much of a letterbox look for interior shots but as Peggie mentioned there are all kinds of accessory lenses available nowadays.

The point is that a current cell phone in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing can provide excellent photos.

It was a 42 Lagoon catamaran. I made the mistake of falling in love with the boat and didn't see how dirty it really was. Since your questioning my integrity I still have purchase contract laying around somewhere. It was in 2000 and only owned the boat for a short time.

You sell it at a loss, gain, or push? Maybe a fair trade?? :ermm:

Thank you for restating my point in different terms. :thumb:

And...I'll bet EVERYONE knows they are free to do what they wish. :dance:

Art is one of the nicest guys on the forum so be easy on him if you think he was trying to question your integrity. :socool:

Now me on the other hand......:D

Damn that's nice of you. Right back at cha! Recall that Aussie a-hole on OTDE, bout two or three years ago. We all simultaneously sliced and diced him into pretty fine pieces... went on for a few months, till the owners banned him from posting. He deserved it and we had fun! - Cheers! -Art :dance:

You haven't been paying attention, Art. I've chimed in on two or three "headless" threads recently. Doesn't happen very often 'cuz I do try to remember the difference between having something to say and having to say something.

A fine (yet clear) distinction... indeed!

I hear you. That's the trouble with forums-- what we say in print doesn't come across correctly sometimes.

I have found this group to be extremely patient and willing to help most anyone with any problem. Lord knows I've asked and have had answered more than my share of stupid questions. The long-timers will poke fun sometimes and try to get your goat, but you gotta just roll with it.

Yup!!

Damn that's nice of you. Right back at cha! Recall that Aussie a-hole on OTDE, bout two or three years ago. We all simultaneously sliced and diced him into pretty fine pieces... went on for a few months, till the owners banned him from posting. He deserved it and we had fun! - Cheers! -Art :dance:

Wasn't that dude from Vanuatu?

Had no intention of being combative. It was an opportunity to see how other people view the advertising of boats and the conditions. Art insinuated that I might be making up a tale. If I offended Art I'm sorry.

Naw - Worry not! I have thick skin. You must too; as I was just poking at your ribs. :dance:

You can 100% bet if a boat is presented in a mess and dirty the maintenance history would also be appalling .

We need a remedial section where new posters have to go for a period of time to learn how to post before they are released out into the general population. ��

Yea - Like a very gentle imitation of "hell-week", then, a "hell-night"... in a 1960's NY HS Club (i.e. a Gang)! Ahhh the memories of the Marquis, Centurions, Spartans, Olympians... I well recall it all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom