Matching Darker Varnish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clynn

Vessel Name
Ivory Lady
Vessel Make
46 Jefferson
My next boat project is to refinish a few aft cabin doors. The existing varnish is a darker, somewhat reddish color. It matches the interior color, so I don't want to just strip and refinish with cetol or epifanes. Are there options for color like you can get with stains or do you have to mix your own? Thanks varnish experts!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460913950.428148.jpg

Test try cherry stain. I've had that be a good match when the teak has that reddish look.

Is that stain like from the hardware store? Would that be for a base coat and then perhaps epifanes on top?

Pretty sure that's what Bill meant. I agree that cherry stain often works well, then whatever top coat is used. If your pic is color accurate, a cherry stain should be a good match. For sure do a test area first.

I bought a small can of Cherry stain this weekend based on the recommendation, but it didn't quite match. I then discovered that I have a local woodworking store in town, so I paid them a visit. They said that it looked like spar varnish was used originally, but recommended that I go back with General Finishes Exterior 450 Stain (Cedar) and several coats of gloss clear. He sanded a smaller door that I brought in and applied a quick coat and it seemed to match pretty well. It will be a few days before I can get back to it, but I'll update the thread as I make progress.

Minwax Gunstock IS A good match

I have had good success with Minwax stain and sealer. Available at Home Depot and most Ace Hardware.Gunstock is likely good match.

Min wax and Bear have colored varnish sold at lows and home. You can also mix and match. Apply a couple of coats of varnish.

You can try Awl-Wood by Awl-Grip, they do have a red pigmented primer which will darken the wood, intermixing a little primer with the clear finish will darken it more. when you achieve the color tone you like, then go with straight clear finish.

Update: I tried lots of stuff, but ended up with spar varnish. After many coats, I installed them last night.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463584871.170263.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463584885.931181.jpg

Back
Top Bottom