Swim Platform "Staples"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
More and more, I'm seeing these swim platform stanchions and rails (nick-named staples), first with only the mega yachts where the platforms were actually hull extensions, then with sub-50 vessels with add-on platforms, and now even on Ranger Tugs. I just completed my own platform last year and was wondering about the functional value. Striking one while docking would be a lot of leverage on a thin piece of fiberglass. Does anyone have them? How do you use them? Underway, do you remove them? Are they worthwhile additions?

Pictured is a Ranger Tug application.

Attachments

• ranger tug staples.jpg
    ranger tug staples.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 258
I just recently installed a staple on our swim platform. The primary purpose is to make it easier for my wife to exit her kayak. Due to a transom door that opens out on the starboard side and a swim ladder on the port side we chose a single 2" diameter staple centered on the platform, 34" high and 44" wide. It is permanently thru bolted as I see no future need to remove it. Looks damn good, too.
If you walk the marinas you will see a variety of configurations. Good luck.

I installed some a couple weeks ago after having an unintentional swim while getting off the dink. I now have something to secure the dink to while at anchor, no longer do the undignified crawl from dink to platform as you have something to hold onto, gives you an outside area to fish from and as mentioned, they look cool.

Marine liquidators, Ft Pierce, $250.00 plus an exorbitant finders fee charged by Moonstruck!

Uh oh. You mean Don's collecting commissions again?:rolleyes:

Was the 250 for one staple? Does it come with stanchion mounts or those inserts so you can remove them? How about approximate dimensions? Thanks for the tip.

We have them.

While I haven't needed to use them yet I can see where they would be useful if you wanted to troll a line while running off shore, safely storing beer coolers, etc.

Because of the way the stern is raked I will have to pull one and place to one side when exiting the tender.

P1000535.jpg

I installed some a couple weeks ago after having an unintentional swim while getting off the dink. I now have something to secure the dink to while at anchor, no longer do the undignified crawl from dink to platform as you have something to hold onto, gives you an outside area to fish from and as mentioned, they look cool.

Marine liquidators, Ft Pierce, $250.00 plus an exorbitant finders fee charged by Moonstruck!

I remember that purchase. You were shameless and embarrassing to your TF companions in your beating down of the price. :D Good find.

Larry, I bought two "pair" for $250. Each pair is two staples, hinged together, with one being flanged and fixed and the other being the door, which fold flat and gives access to the swim ladder. Each piece is 21" wide by 31" high.

Pic #1 shows the hinge. There is a slide piece in the leg to hold the door either open or closed.
Pic #2 shows the door folded back out of the way of the swim step.
Pic #3 is how I spaced them. I get in and out of the dink through the center. I plan on adding a piece of SS safety chain with a bull snap at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 303
Staples

More and more, I'm seeing these swim platform stanchions and rails (nick-named staples), first with only the mega yachts where the platforms were actually hull extensions, then with sub-50 vessels with add-on platforms, and now even on Ranger Tugs. I just completed my own platform last year and was wondering about the functional value. Striking one while docking would be a lot of leverage on a thin piece of fiberglass. Does anyone have them? How do you use them? Underway, do you remove them? Are they worthwhile additions?

Pictured is a Ranger Tug application.

I had mine custom made by a local firm (Tanner Mfg). They cost about $800 each, but are works of art. I view them as essential safety items, especially for docking, playing and landing fish, and boarding dinghy. Mine are permanently through bolted to substantial backing plates. Are they worthwhile? Definitely yes!

Attachments

• IMG_20150803_142732403_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150803_142732403_HDR.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I installed some a couple weeks ago after having an unintentional swim while getting off the dink. I now have something to secure the dink to while at anchor, no longer do the undignified crawl from dink to platform as you have something to hold onto..
That validates why they are sometimes called "Granny Rails" here.

Some staples have a second pocket at the base to allow you to stack a staple when you want to have a gap to walk through. Also, If your staples are not sealed, you should make sure they are foam filled so an accidental drop won't deep-six them.

Had our "Granny Bar" made up two years ago or so. Very simple. Because our platform is only about 2" thick/deep, used a diagonal fore and aft brace for strength. It doesn't interfere much with platform use as I thought it might. Whole rig can be removed quickly (Delrin lined sockets and pull pin on the brace) for hauling dinghy up on davits.

Admiral loves it. Makes dinghy boarding and embarking safe and easy. Also good safety for doing what a man has to do after a few drinks.

Attachments

• Staple.jpg
    Staple.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 263
Had our "Granny Bar" made up two years ago or so. Very simple. Because our platform is only about 2" thick/deep, used a diagonal fore and aft brace for strength. It doesn't interfere much with platform use as I thought it might. Whole rig can be removed quickly (Delrin lined sockets and pull pin on the brace) for hauling dinghy up on davits.

Admiral loves it. Makes dinghy boarding and embarking safe and easy. Also good safety for doing what a man has to do after a few drinks.

Yours looks like it would be much sturdier with that brace. Seems like the ones without would be easy to bend/break/get loose after time from tugging on them.

Seems like a good idea if the platform is deep enough. Something sturdy to grab/hold is always appreciated

Yours looks like it would be much sturdier with that brace. Seems like the ones without would be easy to bend/break/get loose after time from tugging on them.

Exactly, and that's why I show the Ranger tug on the first post. You can see that the outside staple is angled back 20° or so. The stability of such a design, it seems to me, would be much improved over a straight-up unit, and more forgiving to a thinner platform. Mine is only two inch thick.

Something sturdy to grab/hold is always appreciated

I was going to make a remark about my wife, but decided discretion was the better part of getting fed and, well, you know.

I saw something like that just recently for the first time. I believe it was on a Cutwater.

My first thought was that if you backed into an overhanging dock, the damage would be pretty expensive. My second thought was, these could make boarding much easier and more importantly, safer as there would be something to hold on to when boarding.

I'm thinking a single removable pole in a socket might be a good compromise for boarding safety.

Larry, I bought two "pair" for $250. Each pair is two staples, hinged together, with one being flanged and fixed and the other being the door, which fold flat and gives access to the swim ladder. Each piece is 21" wide by 31" high.

Pic #1 shows the hinge. There is a slide piece in the leg to hold the door either open or closed.
Pic #2 shows the door folded back out of the way of the swim step.
Pic #3 is how I spaced them. I get in and out of the dink through the center. I plan on adding a piece of SS safety chain with a bull snap at some point.

Blue: Those installed great!

I'm thinking a single removable pole in a socket might be a good compromise for boarding safety.

And certainly could encourage some entertainment when tied up next to the Tiki bar!

I have two and they are great for getting in and out of kayak, on off the dock, landing fish on the swim step, and anything else on the stern. A very worthwhile investment. I don't plan on using them in bumper cars since the swim step will go first.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom