This will really stop the pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delfin wrote:

Ooooh - I want one of those.

YIKES, and to think, I was looking forward to a return visit to your boat.............Arctic Traveller

I'm still looking for an operating 20 mm cannon with ammunition.* With that, I won't have to worry which way the wind is blowing.* (Intelligent pirates will approach you from upwind.)

I see another sailing yacht has been seized by Somali pirates. This yacht was on a 7 year odyssey. Why do some boaters* not get the *message? My sense is braving storms and braving perilous waters merged as a concept.

Sunchaser,
I agree. SV Quest with 4 Americans on board. Even though they were 275 miles offshore they were still seized.

The Islamic world has always been a great place to be a pirate, what with the enthusiasm for returning to the idyllic 12th century so many yearn for.* When I make a complete list of the places I want to visit in a boat, Somalia ranks right below Death Valley.

Wow. *A 410 handgun. *I had a 410/22 over-under rifle, but the 410 shell had a bit of kick. *In a handgun....I dunno about holding the kick, but the sound would be convincing.

It's a 2 handed piece. I've fired it off handed; the recoil is about like a .45 magnum, and my hand comes up over my head single handing. It is an impressive piece.

Remember that when you take the boat up into Canada that they don't allow the Personal protection Pepper Spray. Be sure that it is labeled as Bear Protection Spray. The Shot Gun shouldn't be any problem though. Jeff, I think that about three gallons of the Bear Spray otta cover the Traveler.

Rob Hays
"Lady Anne" Willard40PH
La Conner. Wa/Girdwood, Ak

-- Edited by Rob on Saturday 19th of February 2011 11:06:39 AM

A *slug from a 45 *will *after all *:-

Pick you up.

Turn you round.

Knock you back 6 feet.

Change your mind.

Send you on your way.

Oh ! *& makes allot of noise.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Saturday 19th of February 2011 11:17:40 AM

SOMERS wrote:

A *slug from a 45 *will *after all *:-

Pick you up.

Turn you round.

Knock you back 6 feet.
You watch too many movies.* If the above was true, the same would happen to the shooter (for every action, there is an equal and opposite action).

It is time to change the subject over to bilge pumps.

SOMERS wrote:

It is time to change the subject over to bilge pumps.
Boy, I don't know if any respecting pirate would be deterred by being threatened with having bilge water pumped on them.* Unless perhaps you swung it over your head on its cord whilst making grimacing faces.*

However, defending yourself with soft fruits and vegetables is also an option, as this video shows:

By Sunchaser "
I see another sailing yacht has been seized by Somali pirates. This yacht was on a 7 year odyssey. Why do some boaters not get the message? My sense is braving storms and braving perilous waters merged as a concept."

While cruising and minding our own business in the Alaskan Inside Passage much to*our surprise, the "Lady Anne" gets raided by the local Pirates of Anan Bay.
Talk about Shock and Aw! We were able to survive our raid by offering Hot Dogs and Beer.

Attachments

• img_1017.jpg
    img_1017.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 75
  • img_1024.jpg
    img_1024.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 80
Kids, you might rethink that strategy..

look at the holes in this boat, from pirate attack..

-- Edited by Per on Monday 21st of February 2011 01:12:35 PM

Attachments

• samho_jewellery_holes-03.jpg
    samho_jewellery_holes-03.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 79
Pirate incidents are one thing. Bad for those involved. But state supported "incidents" can be much worse. Look what a torpedo did to "my boat" in 1967 (over and above what Mirage jets had done to her). I was 15' from where it hit. This incident ended up with 34 or so killed and 100 or so wounded out of a total complement of about 175. And then there is all out war... even worse. What we need re the pirates is a return to 18th century methods ....every country is free to catch 'em and hang 'em wherever they may be. Sorry for the incoherent, spontaneous rant and this should probably be moved to OTDE. I'm usually fairly left leaning.

Attachments

• hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 76
  • hole3.jpg
    hole3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 77
Taking a torpedo and having the story to tell to your grandkids - glad you made it David.

David, being from Denmark I hear much of the news related to pirates of the worlds largest container line Maersk Line.
There are big discussions going on currently whether or not to arm the vessels or place weaponed guards onboard.

Likewise there is a huge controversy with what to do with captured pirates.
Where they can be tried and under which country law and which imprisonment etc.
pirates improve their life expectancy by many hundred percent by being captured and tried in a western civilized country.

btw, i dont disagree with you.. Piracy must be dealt with fiercely deadly force, inevitably this will discourage criminals to go this route.

Going to the depths of my warm and fuzzy side with regards to pirates, I must insist their boats be burned and their corpses fed to the sharks. Instananeously. 5 minute trial at sea and we're done.

dwhatty wrote:

Pirate incidents are one thing. Bad for those involved. But state supported "incidents" can be much worse. Look what a torpedo did to "my boat" in 1967 (over and above what Mirage jets had done to her). I was 15' from where it hit. This incident ended up with 34 or so killed and 100 or so wounded out of a total complement of about 175. And then there is all out war... even worse. What we need re the pirates is a return to 18th century methods ....every country is free to catch 'em and hang 'em wherever they may be. Sorry for the incoherent, spontaneous rant and this should probably be moved to OTDE. I'm usually fairly left leaning.
David, what a horrible experience.* How was the ship saved with so many of the crew as casualties?* It must have been just horrific!!!!!

If the video is actually what it appears to be I like the way the Russians deal with pirates....

And have the balls to put it on Youtube!

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 wrote:
If the video is actually what it appears to be I like the way the Russians deal with pirates....

And have the balls to put it on Youtube!

HOLLYWOOD

No court appearance necessary!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom