Varnishing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
While hauled, I stripped the transom off of old flaky varnish, had to wood it due to stains etc. Also did the aft cabin top. It wasn't horrible but it sure looks prettier now with two coats of varnish. Transom is shaping up with 4 coats so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 87
Thank you! I think teak looks better with something on it. The bright work (and pretty much everything else) on this boat has been let go for some time due to the loss of its owner.

78P-T, doesn't it feel good to make significant headway? I don't have the teak deck or transom but can relate to the effort involved.
Nice work!

Looks great!! Did you remove the old varnish with a heat gun or chemicals or just sand it?

Greetings,
Mr. 78. Wonderful transformation! A question...Have you or are you planning to add a non-skid to the deck, walk upon area? I'm pretty sure there are "grit" materials you can add to your varnish (in selected areas, appropriately masked off, of course) to minimize slippage when wet that will not detract from the "aura" and allow safe, non slip, walking.

To make a non-skid varnish surface put a coat of varnish on, sprinkle sugar onto the varnish. Let it cure then wash the sugar off. The result is a mild non-skid surface.

Thanks to all for questions and comments. I plan to add a little silica to the finish coat or so in the area going to the flybridge. The jury is still out on what to do with the main deck. The flybridge area itself is in better shape than the rest but will at some point sand and recoat it. On the transom I used stripper to remove the bulk of the old varnish, then sanded the rest. On the little cabin top deck, I used a DA sander to remove what little finish remained and to wood it. On the nameboard question, as they are bedded in some type of rubber and look pretty well sealed I opted to leave them and varnish around them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom