Maxwell Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Any one have this 3500 model, or one with the same or similar clutch system?

I am trying to disengage the clutch from one side of the windlass so that both anchors do not lower. I put the lever into the clutch nut but it only moves about an inch or two.

If you have this set up, how far down the outside plate have to turn to disengage and engage?

Attachments

• P1000100.jpg
    P1000100.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 81
I had one similar, but with the drum on only one side. You should be able to back it off at least one whole turn or more. Those are great windlasses, wish I had it on my current boat.

Cheers, Bill

The clutch is not budging - do you think it is safe to thump a rubber mallet on it?

Contact Maxwell. They've always promptly responded to any question I had with great information.

I'd carefully increase the force. It should ultimately unscrew all the way.

I think people almost never disassemble, clean, and grease the clutches as you are supposed to. Mine was seized when I took delivery of my boat because it had never been greased. Getting the clutch cones separated when they are seized can be a trick.

Bingo! I put a large rubber mallet on the clutch handle and she loosened! We dropped and recovered the other anchor at the dock to make sure.

All good!

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom