Another bonding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
There are several bronze through hulls above the waterline on my boat that are connected to the bonding system. They range from a few inches to almost a foot above the boot stripe. Don't know if the factory or the PO wired them together. I can see some possible rationale for the one closest to the waterline being bonded -- although I've never seen it submerged, I also haven't had the boat fully loaded yet with the tanks topped off. I'm thinking the ones a foot above the waterline just add several unnecessary terminations and that the system is better off without them. As I understand it, metals have to be submerged in the same electrolyte (seawater) to create currents that lead to galvanic corrosion.

Am I missing anything? (Besides the ability to rotate this picture?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 94
Is there raw water running out of either of those hoses continually at any time?

That is not that cheap white corrugated on the inside plastic hose is it?

Bonding out of the seawater fittings is pointless. to my understanding.

Thanks, all.

Is there raw water running out of either of those hoses continually at any time?

That is not that cheap white corrugated on the inside plastic hose is it?

Good thought. Raw water runs out of one of them (the one closest to the waterline, but still normally not submerged) when the AC pump is running. Having a hard time imagining it running enough to waste a seacock, but it probably can't hurt to leave it bonded. The others are bilge pump hoses and, yes, it's the cheap crap somebody doubtless thought was a good deal. :banghead: Replacing it is on my list.

I added two Rule 3700.
The hose I used was our blue pool cleaner suction hose. The hose is actually very durable and reinforced. The inner ribbing is flattened so smoother. Consider pool pumps have no troubles with flow and these hoses get lots of sun exposure and seem to last forever. The size was 1.5 inch and was perfect for those pumps.

A rule 2000, I got some 'liquid tight non metallic grey conduit, 1.25 inch. That also been perfect.
Just like this here.
http://conduit-solution.com/1-2-1-flexible-non-metallic-conduit/185121

Last edited:
Looks like it is wired as part of a "circuit", so I'd be hesitant to break it. I'd just leave well enough alone. Have you checked with DeFever?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom