Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet Paul!!! Pick up a Go-Pro and give me a link to your YouTube account. I've got to see the Rose back under her own power again. How exciting for you:thumb:

Sweet Paul!!! Pick up a Go-Pro and give me a link to your YouTube account. I've got to see the Rose back under her own power again. How exciting for you:thumb:

I'll gladly take some pictures but the boat bucks are going fast. Nothing in the budget for a go pro

Will do

Great news Paul . The engines look good . Can't wait to see the Rose on the
move .

Paul, that will be a big day. If you will, try and post a video of the run.

Thanks Pack. I have to hook the fuel tanks up, controls and steering. It's close

Well the pictures don't do it justice buuuuttttttt! They both run and the drives work on both. I have big plans for a short run in about a week or so.
View attachment 50719

Major Coooolllllll! :D

I don't often post... I do always follow.

Congrats in getting to this juncture!! :thumb:

Paul, that is amazing!! You've come so far. Wish I was there as a stowaway. Keep us posted.

Ok, besides me sounding like hillbilly here is a video. I ran the starboard engine for about 20 minutes to try to bring it up to temperature. It never got over 130 but the oil pressures stayed good and the gear worked great. I plumbed the fuel tank. Enjoy
http://youtu.be/P9DxGSpGkYQ

Last edited:
The link won't let me see the video...says it is private...

It says public on the settings

Now it worked :thumb:

Man, you've got a couple acres there in floor space don't you?

Last edited:
The link worked for me. Congrats on the milestone

Thanks, Paul. She sounds sweet. Are you going to put a riser on the exhaust system?

Riser? I need some education.. That set up is what the boat had unit when I bought it.

OK I'm trying to educate myself on 6-71 . Where are the fuel injectors ? Is the hole in the center of the head the injection point ?

Yes, There is a tube, that is the bottom of the tube in the picture. The injector sets into the tube.

Riser? I need some education.. That set up is what the boat had unit when I bought it.

Risers are just an upward turn in the eshaust usually containing the mixer on a wet exhaust system. They are to prevent water being sucked up into the engine. I will try to post a picture of one of my risers. If you have a dry stack exhaust with a keel cooler they would not be necessary.

img_434200_0_55d1e4c156d67c8bd9dd227b9b0be1fb.jpg

Don, I checked the gensets and they both have risers. The mains do have dry stack so that makes sense that they don't have them. The exhaust is pretty loud, thought maybe it was something to dampen the noise. When insulated and covered up I hope its not going to be so loud.

On a dry stack is there a heat exchanger or is the keel cooler the heat exchanger . Sorry guys I'm just trying to get my head around it .

On a dry stack is there a heat exchanger or is the keel cooler the heat exchanger . Sorry guys I'm just trying to get my head around it .

Marty, the keel cooler is the heat exchanger.

Ok thanks so I guess you don't have to winterize .

Next week we will finish plumbing the port engine and work on the steering. I will let the port engine run for about 30 minutes tied to the pier before we embark on our maiden voyage. We will run about 3-4 miles and come back, hell maybe I'll go back and forth. Very exiting times in the build.

Worked on the steering, when the fire burned through the floor it cooked a steering rod and the cabin fell on it damaging it beyond repair. I bought some steel bar and two u joints and voila,
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1461024680.072504.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1461024692.682521.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1461024707.525535.jpg
Of course when I beat the u joint on the old bar i beat the **** out of the ears and I oblonged them so the caps wouldn't fit. Back to the parts store tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom