ideal ocean crossing trawler yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm probably right but post some pics and show that I am wrong. May not work though as we may still disagree.

And since most of the boats on here I'm not directly familar with and the average guy would be familar w fewer than that.

Does the Fleming have more deadrise than a Classic GB?

You missed my entire point. You want to cite your definitions of science and examine the bottom, and look at pics. I cite their continued success and record of oceanic cruising. Not one boat, not one owner, not one set of conditions. I've had conversations with Fleming owners, all praising their boats and many having been through some incredibly rough conditions.

You have zero basis for your assumptions other than looking at pictures of the boat from the back.

I don't have a need to prove it to you, as one most certainly could never do so.

But I base mine on statements like these following too.

Our Fleming 55, 'ANDANTE,' is just over four years old now and has completed 21,500 nm of ocean cruising around the East coast of Australia and overseas. This includes nine 700 nm passages through the notorious Bass Strait located between the SE corner of Australia and Tasmania. Passing through the Strait is always a challenge and an exercise in weather watching and timing. The extreme weather that comes in from the Southern Indian Ocean - one stretch is ominously named 'The Shipwreck Coast' because it presents a lee shore to all shipping and is a coastline dotted with many shipwrecks.​

Thanks - that all makes sense I guess. I guess I'm thinking of how I could keep it for 10 or 15 years or longer - but that must be far from reality for most people.

Reality for perhaps 98+% of boat owners is they will never spend more than $50K on a single boat in their life. That's why I find arguing over the cost of premium blue water pedigreed boats to be humorous. I'm willing to bet the average TF member won't have $100K wrapped up in their rig. Don't get me wrong as I know full well there's members here that as a practical matter do not have a "budget" per se(several come to mind) and I love living vicariously through them. Plenty of room at this forum for all budgets.

Reality for perhaps 98+% of boat owners is they will never spend more than $50K on a single boat in their life. That's why I find arguing over the cost of premium blue water pedigreed boats to be humorous. I'm willing to bet the average TF member won't have $100K wrapped up in their rig. Don't get me wrong as I know full well there's members here that as a practical matter do not have a "budget" per se(several come to mind) and I love living vicariously through them. Plenty of room at this forum for all budgets.

Arguing about the price of fantasies is a bit humorous. This thread wasn't intended to reflect what one might actually ever buy.

As to "budget," I'd correct you slightly. I don't know anyone without a budget, they're just at different levels. They still find themselves faced with budgetary decisions regularly. Also, when those with extremely high budgets let their spending get out of control, they have the same problems as anyone else. Paul Allen is one of the richest men in the world and his toys include professional sports teams. But he has very rigid budgets for the Seahawks and the Blazers.

Arguing about the price of fantasies is a bit humorous. This thread wasn't intended to reflect what one might actually ever buy.

As to "budget," I'd correct you slightly. I don't know anyone without a budget, they're just at different levels. They still find themselves faced with budgetary decisions regularly. Also, when those with extremely high budgets let their spending get out of control, they have the same problems as anyone else. Paul Allen is one of the richest men in the world and his toys include professional sports teams. But he has very rigid budgets for the Seahawks and the Blazers.

U.S. "thinks" it plays on a budget... look what happened! Pay back will be a bitch... unless astounding item occur... which it [they] may; after all this is the USA!!! :thumb: LOL

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

U.S. "thinks" it plays on a budget... look what happened! Pay back will be a bitch... unless astounding item occur... which it [they] may; after all this is the USA!!! :thumb: LOL

Has a budget, just does a lousy job of managing it.

stronoway7,
Really like that 1st picture.

Thanks Manyboats,that was taken off the bottom of South West Tasmania in the Southern Ocean.Funny how the camera smooths the water.That was the least bumpy day for about 10 days.Normally you get a swell of 4 to 6 metres with a sea of a couple of metre on top.Not a place to hang about.
Here's the local waverider buoy graph for a big one. 20 metre wave (66 feet) with a 30 second dwell(peak to peak).Extreme pucker factor.
The 160 km/h wind that day probably helped too.
I wonder how the Dashew's bow would go into a wave like that.Up periscope !

Attachments

• wavegraph.png
    wavegraph.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 73
stornoway7,
I think I saw a boat similar to yours at Horseshoe bay off Magnetic island around july/aug last year and admired her from a distance. I wondered when I saw those portlights and her height above waterline how much she rolled underway, now I know you have those nifty stabilizers.:)

With my little boat I use a stern anchor and almost defeat that terrible tide swell that is about my only irritation with cruising Queensland only.:mad:

My long winded question is when you drop the anchor, kill the motor and ride up square onto the tide swell, is that also 'when the fun begins' or can you use a generator to power the stabilizers.

Those boats are attractive for transoceanic cruises, but how practical are they for coastal/inland-cruising which is all I need (employing ships for overseas cruising)?

RE: Number of FPB's for sale....

From the "Set Sail" site for the FPB's...

"At present there are three FPB 78s under construction, all for previous FPB owners"

SetSail » Blog Archive » FPB 78: The Dream Machine

Probably not that different than other significant manufactures who have their fans. Also, kind of speaks to the idea posted earlier of "buying your second boat first".

Having an idea on price range would be good.
For the price of a Nordhavn 40 or 46 we bought our Cheoy Lee 66,not as good in a lot of respects however she has long legs 3000 miles @ 8.5 knots,we use about 23 lph at that speed,goes up to 35 lph at 10 knots.Max speed is 13 kts.
Plenty of H20 2700 litres.2 gennys.2 engines.Laundry with dryer.Heaps of room,3 double cabins,1 quad cabin.Proper bridge with settee.Lounge room and a dining table area.
Not as new as the Nordhavns however they are very livable.I find the Nordys in my price range too squeezy inside.
Oh,and one I can't leave home without is a walk in engine room with a workbench.So many boat have tight engine rooms.I was going to buy a Nordy 46 till they showed me the ER on a really hot day.
Actually the other thing that a round bilge boat like this really cannot be without is stabilisers ,Naiads in our case.We rarely roll much more that 10 to 15 degrees,turn them off and the excitement starts.
Nice looking Cheoy Lee 66 there and I do agree very much with the engine room situations. Far too many so called stand up engine rooms keep you bent over and squatting for the most part.

I just got three 66's and two 55 Cheoy Lee
Postings tonight to go check out.
Enjoy every single minute you can.
Thanks
Jim

Fish Catcher Jim, only thing keeping you looking at nearly 70'+ boats is your tender requirements. Throw those out and either a KK42 or N46 would fit the bill. It would probably be cheaper to buy a 17' center console at every port of call and throw it away when you leave than to carry two across oceans on your deck.

Either way it's not a bad problem to have.

No problem ..... it's an adventure. Lol
I will find it and we have a KK 52 and 55 and 58 in thought as well as several n55 and n62
Perhaps renting a fishing boat...lol
Thanks
Jim

It might seem like there should be a definitive answer but much depends on what you want and how you want to do it. Personally I've crossed the Pacific at least 7 times, the Indian 6 so I can certainly claim to have much afloat experience. The qualifier is of course the ships I was on range from 433 to 866 ft and 4,300 to 48,000 tons. A darn site bigger than what you're looking at I'd expect.

Reading the design philosophy sections of the Dashew and Watson sites will provide quite a lot of insight as to the why. Length limits apply in terms of crew requirements and in some locations, navigation requirements including pilotage. Obviously to a point, bigger is better, but many crossings have been made on much more modest vessels.

Fuel requirements, electrical generation and distribution, water, cold storage and your demand for amenities will shape your search. As you address those, I think you'll find exactly what you are looking for in terms of a transoceanic cruiser.

Looking forward to seeing what you come with! Happy hunting!

Thank you and that is kind of the direction we are heading. Some say I am too picky but what they don't grasp is this will be home for indefinitely and I will not be one of those guys who end up sitting around mumbling should of ... wish I had .... why did i....lol

Thanks again and will keep you posted
Jim

I do like the KK 52, was on one of the first ones in Seattle when they had the new boat promotional pricing. They are not cheap now, and I suspect hard to find used. Would definitely be on high on my shortlist for boats up to 18m (59').

The KK 55 is not something I could ever warm to. Had one berthed near me in Port Townsend for a while. The KK 58 on the other hand looks very nice but I've never been aboard one.

Had a quick tour of an acquaintance's N62 a month or so ago. Damn nice, its a lot of boat. Draft not that good if you plan on spending much time in tropical waters where coral reefs and sand build-up around them limit depths. Lots of room on foredeck for tenders, but loading and unloading them from there might not be all that simple, particularly when there are some swell or waves.

Wow I am to the point where I don't want to see another cookie cutter plastic shining looking trawler. Don't get me wrong here, I am not looking for old wore out scrap.

A simple salty look and blending in with all the other Northern trawlers is my desired direction. I mean it is easier to find a torch and such vs glass mechanic up there. Lol

Some of these new trawlers look like play pens for those with more dollars then sense.
Ok now I feel better. Bring on the next contestants

I do like the KK 52, was on one of the first ones in Seattle when they had the new boat promotional pricing. They are not cheap now, and I suspect hard to find used. Would definitely be on high on my shortlist for boats up to 18m (59').

The KK 55 is not something I could ever warm to. Had one berthed near me in Port Townsend for a while. The KbyK 58 on the other hand looks very nice but I've never been aboard one.

Had a quick tour of an acquaintance's N62 a month or so ago. Damn nice, its a lot of boat. Draft not that good if you plan on spending much time in tropical waters where coral reefs and sand build-up around them limit depths. Lots of room on foredeck for tenders, but loading and unloading them from there might not be all that simple, particularly when there are some swell or waves.

The thing with the kadey krogen 52 and 58 is the length of the solon. Seems boxed in at times to me and the 55 is an enquired taste.

The draft and air draft on the nordhavn does bring up some more concerns. Those dry exhaust stacks take up some room.
Jim

The thing with the kadey krogen 52 and 58 is the length of the solon. Seems boxed in at times to me and the 55 is an enquired taste.

The draft and air draft on the nordhavn does bring up some more concerns. Those dry exhaust stacks take up some room.
Jim

If being boxed in bugs you then I'm not sure you will like the master cabin on the N62. Its large enough, but has very little natural light entry. But I thought the dry stack was reasonably unobtrusive.

If being boxed in bugs you then I'm not sure you will like the master cabin on the N62. Its large enough, but has very little natural light entry. But I thought the dry stack was reasonably unobtrusive.

Sleeping would be fine and the boxed in feel is not that bad in all truth. The stacks limit the bridge clearance is what I was meaning.

Jim,
Don't recall it mentioned but a custon build could be perfect.
Two designers in Beebe's book Voyaging Under Power Charles Neville and Steve Seaton offer designs obviously up to the task and very propper looking boats. One in paticular called "Sluggo" by Seaton.

The best 65' Boat I've ever Seen!

I have seldom, if ever, sung the glory of a particular vessel ....until now! A good friend of mine has just put his Outer Reef on the market. The boat is currently lying in Mexico but will be arriving in San Diego in May. The boat , IMHO, is the literal definition of the word "bristol." Oh, I know....many yacht brokers use this term to attract potential buyers and when you finally see the boat it has more warts and pimples than a 15 year old teenager! Not this boat! It is truly a thing of beauty and has been immaculately maintained by a very knowledgeable owner. :thumb:

2008 Outer Reef Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Hi Bogranjac,I like the Finn 7's and 8's the centre cockpit would be good when fishing with little kids.In regards to the stabilisers,they are big fins that stick out and you need some boat speed (min about 5 knots I reckon) to make them work.They use 24 volts in my case so no penny required.They make no difference when stationary.
Some sort of flopperstopper system is what most round bilge boats need to tame the swell.Just out one side is usually enough.
Cheoy Lee must have built quite a few 66's as they seem to pop up all over.
Here's a pic of the stabilisers (approx in the middle of the boat),they're not that big however seem to work well enough.
Also a good reminder to those that want bigger boats that they seem to get bigger when out of the water,especially when lying underneath with a roller in your hand.:)

Attachments

• DSC_0866.jpg
    DSC_0866.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 172
I have seldom, if ever, sung the glory of a particular vessel ....until now! It is truly a thing of beauty and has been immaculately maintained by a very knowledgeable owner. :thumb:

Wow, Walt. You are not wrong. That is one incredible vessel. I wonder what it is like to be able to own one of those..? You'd really have to live aboard though, to justify having something like that. But that thing could go anywhere...:socool:

Jim,
Don't recall it mentioned but a custon build could be perfect.
Two designers in Beebe's book Voyaging Under Power Charles Neville and Steve Seaton offer designs obviously up to the task and very propper looking boats. One in paticular called "Sluggo" by Seaton.

Many Boats,
We have been thinking about a custom build alot lately
and yet when I know the time is right to make the purchase, well just not sure I want to wait another year or so for thee trawler.

Sure would enjoy finding something like this 60 foot pilot house ( indendance shipwrights ltd )(LeCleark hull )in steel and not glass. Thank you for the confirmation
Jim

Attachments

• 4719832_20140524140623066_4_LARGE.jpg
    4719832_20140524140623066_4_LARGE.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 4719832_20140524140623656_3_LARGE.jpg
    4719832_20140524140623656_3_LARGE.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 4719832_20140524140624198_2_LARGE.jpg
    4719832_20140524140624198_2_LARGE.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 97
  • 4719832_20141014121607403_6_LARGE.jpg
    4719832_20141014121607403_6_LARGE.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 4719832_20141014121607742_4_LARGE.jpg
    4719832_20141014121607742_4_LARGE.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
"We have been thinking about a custom build alot lately
and yet when I know the time is right to make the purchase, well just not sure I want to wait another year or so for thee trawler. "

Purchasing a new plastic cookie , you may still have that year outfitting the boat to your desirements.

I have seldom, if ever, sung the glory of a particular vessel ....until now! A good friend of mine has just put his Outer Reef on the market. The boat is currently lying in Mexico but will be arriving in San Diego in May. The boat , IMHO, is the literal definition of the word "bristol." Oh, I know....many yacht brokers use this term to attract potential buyers and when you finally see the boat it has more warts and pimples than a 15 year old teenager! Not this boat! It is truly a thing of beauty and has been immaculately maintained by a very knowledgeable owner. :thumb:

Outer Reef has a very broad line of what appear to be some very nice boats. They also have a nice presence in the US and slightly less impressive network around the world. I've seen some of their boats walked through and actually perform on a television show we have occasionally watched called "Selling Yachts" and was quite impressed.

Here are some fuel charts for their 65 MY.

http://www.outerreefyachts.com/photos/yachtDocs/30.pdf

They have many models for different purposes as by their own words, 95% of their purchasers are coastal cruisers. I think they're well worth consideration.

As an aside, they have one staff member who holds a position I don't believe I've ever seen in an official title before. They have a "Director of First Impressions."

Walt you are right. Great vessels and a good designer builder.

I have a friend who is selling his OR 65. It is equipped with the smaller Cat C9s. Ocean rated and 3000 nm range. A trip through the ER shows lots of smarts in putting systems and things together.

This guy is selling because he is moving up, not an uncommon story for buyers of higher end vessels as evidenced by Nordhavn, Dashew and Fleming.

Walt you are right. Great vessels and a good designer builder.

I have a friend who is selling his OR 65. It is equipped with the smaller Cat C9s. Ocean rated and 3000 nm range. A trip through the ER shows lots of smarts in putting systems and things together.

This guy is selling because he is moving up, not an uncommon story for buyers of higher end vessels as evidenced by Nordhavn, Dashew and Fleming.

You'll also see a lot of them moving up within the same brand until they reach a point that brand makes no larger. That's why so many brands have kept extending their line into larger sizes. They just do not like sending a customer elsewhere. There are some brands with a huge percentage of repeat buyers. Every Nordhavn owner I've ever met was always thinking about their next Nordhavn. Ocean Reef seems to have a lot of upward movement. Fleming has some of that. It's the reason Sea Ray has come out with their L Series, that they have very loyal customers but were losing them when they wanted bigger. It's also why Sea Ray had "Yachts" years ago, although they were not that successful.

Thanks PeterB,
Looked for 5 min but see no hull pics. Some profile pics but the hulls are all black and not form revealing. The profile pics and all the other pics look like the boats are much like the GB Classics only bigger and a bit better looking. Apparently Fleming feels people interested in his boats don't care much about the hull. More interested in layout or floor plan. Beautiful boats to be sure but not what I consider to be ocean crossing and not even close to the OP's post #1 IDEAL ocean crossing trawler yacht.
The kind of boat I see as filling the OP's requirements is much more like a boat designed by Seaton or Neville. No comparison IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom