Anchor in dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Iam curious to know how many of you carry an anchor in your dinghy. We will be cruising to Fl. soon and I plan on doing some fishing drom the dinghy so will need to anchor.* I'd probably would use it at beach stops too. The dinghy is*a 9' Livingston cat
Steve W

i have a small 5-7 lbs "collapsible" steel galvanized anchor which we take along if docking on the beach.
works great and i would think you really cant do without it.

Yea I have anchors in all my skiffs and dinghies. Mostly on the dinghies I just take the anchor and line way up the beach behind a log or whatever so I can go walk around without worrying about the tide. We have 23' tides so when I do stuff like that I try to have my wife w me of to do it on an incoming tide. Mostly I do my beach landings w my 16' skiff and that's ONLY on a rising tide.

Hi Steve
i am an Anchor nut case.
My favorite saying " is if all else fails should the anchor"

You will never know when you may have to drop anchor in at short notice.
It is sort of like having brakes on a car in an emergency.

Here are my list of our anchors.

I will leave it to you as to where each anchor goes.
2 folding grapnels = 1 medium +1 small = this is what i use if we loose the boat hook
( we have 2 ) in the water coming up the swing moorings.

2 Lumar claws * * * *= 1 very big *& 1 medium
3 Danforth anchors = 1 big *& *2 medium
2 *folding grapnels.= 1 big *& *1 small

I hate a lee shore and always have an anchor ready at a moments " no notice " .

Here is a great tip, we hope !

We keep all of our anchor rode in a separate tube bags with a draw string at each end.
All we need do is bring the Mavis home made bag on deck tie off bitter end and launch the anchor ,the rode comes out of the bag without any kink or tangles.

Just like a sky divers parachute.

Donald & Mavis
Mainship 400
Andromeda

-- Edited by SOMERS on Friday 18th of February 2011 08:15:57 PM

Steve
this is a PS .

Go Texas style.

To much rode is not enough.
To big a rode is not enough.
To big an anchor is not enough.

Donald

-- Edited by SOMERS on Friday 18th of February 2011 08:07:48 PM

Per wrote:

i have a small 5-7 lbs "collapsible" steel galvanized anchor which we take along if docking on the beach.
Ditto

Steve wrote:

Iam curious to know how many of you carry an anchor in your dinghy.
Like some of the previous posters we carry a small, heavy-for-its-size,*folding-fluke anchor on a hundred feet of line or so in the dinghy.* One advantage of this particular type of anchor is that it can be used (sort of) as a grappling hook when you drop something in the water.** Another possibility--- we've not looked into it--- is to carry a small Fortress.* Lightweight, very effective in sand and mud bottoms, lies flat.* In fact the more I think about it the more sense it makes than what we have now
smile.gif
* Perhaps with a wee bit of chain on it to assist it in setting.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 18th of February 2011 07:08:32 PM

dwhatty wrote:

Per wrote:

Ditto

Ditto x 2

FlorIdaho Chris wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

Per wrote:

Ditto

Ditto x 2

One of those 10# or so coated mushroom anchors for me. All rope rode, easy to clean and doesn't chip up the bottom of the dink.

Steve*When it comes to anchors , i am a nut case.
Andromeda has Four Anchors and one folding grapnel.

One of my favorite sayings is " If all else fails should the anchor".
The other saying i say is " I hate a lee shore".

It is my opinion *no mater what you have be it a kids 8 ft boat or the QE11
each vessel *should carry at least two suitable anchors with the appropriate line.

You can have a gold plated" Q" or a silver plated " L " if you cant launch it *at *a " no moments notice " , you are in deep trouble *my friends in River city.

Not withstanding that most of you have a big anchor with chain over a roller.

We *will play the" What if Game".
"What if" for some reason you cant launch *your pride and joy .

Then here is plan "Mavis".
For an emergency quick deploy second anchor, we store rode in a 24 " x 14 " diameter tubular *bag with a heavy draw string at each end, Mavis made it .

Tie off the bitter end.
The anchor goes over the side *the rode comes out of the Mavis tube contrapsion like the shot our of gun.
No knots, no twists, no tangles, in less than 10 giga bites.

While i am at it , we carry a 75 ft x 3/8" heaving line with monkey fist with an enclosed golf ball for weight.That is a life saver.

If you live on an small island 600 miles from the nearest land, you go rock happy.

Donald & Mavis
Mainship 400
Andromeda

THere were about four of us anchored out one night. My friend jumped in his dink to take the dogs to do their buisness. It started getting dark and we all were wondering where he was. Long story short, his dock line got caught in the prop and the tide was going out and thank goodness for the anchor. Otherwise, I don't think we would have found him. SOme currents are to swift to row against. It is better to be safe than sorry.

We carry a small mushroom anchor and this anchor buddy. The dinghy tow line becomes the painter and we are held of the rock shore while the tide goes out. It does work. If the little anchor looses its hold, the dinghy is still tied to shore. It has lasted 7 or 8 summers.

http://tuggyproducts.com/anchorbuddy.html

1 KG Bruce (real cute), thrown on the beach. Never actually anchored the dinghy, just piece of mind when hiking.

One of our cruising buddies has an "anchor buddy" so we have seen it work. I want one.

I keep a small folding grapnel in the dingbat permanently.
It has a small snap shackle attached so it can be clipped easily to the various lines aboard. Each of those lines has a small snap shackle attached so they can be clipped together.
I've never used it to anchor the dingbat but use it to quickly secure the bat when going ashore.
The ability to throw the thing (anchor) ashore and have it hook behind a rock or log has made getting ashore a much pleasanter experience as it can be
used to hold the dinghy up to the shore.
Our shores are usually a steep rocky incline so it's not always easy in/out particularily when the bat wants to scoot out to sea as you prepare to disembark/embark.
Also now our C.G. regs. seem to demand that even in the dinghy one keep an anchor aboard along with other gear.

I have a 8 lb coated mushroom anchor and about 20 feet of 1/4 rode.
When in NY waters it is required along with a noise making device. I have been stopped several times and asked to produce those items.

Here's a somewhat related thing. Here in Thorne Bat we have lots of skiffs that are used to go from one's residence to town and to fish or tend pots for crab and shrimp. So when some come to town and tie up at the float they tie w a special rig that's like (or is) a monkey's fist. It's a ball of line wraped around a weight and connected to the boat a-midships w a specific amount of line*** ....about 5 or 6'. They pull alongside the float, take a turn around the bull rail w the monky's fist and drop it in the water between the skiff and the float***** ....boat secured**** ...one line,* several seconds.

Steve, in over 20 years of serious cruising, we have always carried an anchor in the dinghy. We carry a small Danforth with a short piece of chain and 100 feet of nylon rode in a plastic bucket with the rode flaked to keep it from tangling. We use it while snorkeling, fishing and trying to get the outboard restarted in a strong current so as not to be swept out to sea, to name just a few occasions. We do not carry it when tying to a dock somewhere that it might get stolen. Chuck

We carry a small Danforth with 10 feet of chain and 50 feet of rope rode in an army surplus bag. The heavy cloth bag keeps the pointed Danforth flukes from puncturing the Zodiac. The handles on the bag make it easy to toss the anchor/rode into or out of the dingy, and the army green bag camouflages the contents from would be anchor poachers.

Like Eric, we can have 20' tide swings so we will typically carry the Zodiac up on the beach on an incoming tide.

Obviously on our 20' CC 'dinghy' we carry one (actually two) a lightweight fortress in the bow and a small folding grapnel in the stern.* On the 10' dink we just carry a folding grapnel.* In the Bahamas* it is standard practice to throw out a stern hook and tie the dinghy painter up to the dinghy dock leaving room for more folks at the dock.* We always toss out the*hook even in Florida when coming in to the beach too,*it makes it easier to get off in a falling tide and the we don't have to drag*the boat up and down the beach either as we use an 'anchor buddy' to hold the dinghy just off the beach.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom