Old 04-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #6
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
If you wanted to use a DT466 just get the SAE adapter from the #2 truck bellhousing to the marine gear of choice, all standard. But why ? I have only seen one boat with the DT466s, it was a sportfisher and had TD gears. The guy built the "manicoolers" and did a very good job. On the downside, no one makes marinization parts, especially exhaust manifolds. The wet liners are a problem, o rings tend to go bad. Turning up the older inj pumps is not a big deal (7100 pump) but newer electronic engines are pretty much standard at around 210 HP, not enough for most boat applications. It would be cheaper, better, more cost efficient and did I say better, to go with a Cummins C series.
Somehow I have been thinking IH 466 are much cheaper to get a used engine, rebuild it, and DIY the coolant system. I was thinking keel coolers and dry wrapping the exhaust manifold. If that manifold was too close to block, then create 6 port extensions from head to space it outwards. Still have no dry stack, it would have a dry riser and water injector and exhaust exit like normal boats.

Are the turbos heat wrapped?
This is just me learning something new, not that I would do any of this. Who knows the future.

Does anyone have the height width length of a 466?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote