Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:thumb:Howdy mate! Good to have you back. Last time I checked this thread you were still building. where are the pix you said were here somewhere I would like to see what she looks like. Going fishing for a couple of weeks, I'm jealous. will you be targeting any special species?
we had a boat the first of the week a commercial 62 footer cross the bar then enter the dead calm flat seas of Charleston Oregon turn over and sink in a heartbeat in 35 feet of water. The two crew members washed up on a beach above Reedsport Oregon and the divers trying to refloat the vessel found the captain still in the boat. That's number three this year so far for Coos bay and Charleston. Your lucky your waters are soo calm and safe:).....

Gday Mate. Nice to hear from you. Im still building mate. Link to pics is in Post #2225. There was 200+ pics so easier to post a link than upload every one of them.

That's sad to hear. We have some gnarly bar crossing in Australia but luckily none where I am.

We had a similar incident in the north of the state. This vessel went down with the Capt. Three were souls lost.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...t/news-story/60fc9d7e448d99e4081cf72c3445a2c3

Fishing trip wise; it's a different ball game up there mate. It's so untouched. The islands are 2hrs out from the mainland and everything is big and colourful and plentiful. I'll be posting pics of Flic and My adventures

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460245992.267618.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246005.827370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246023.129571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246035.530300.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246047.897874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246060.385112.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246072.928659.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246086.517674.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246098.685449.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246111.486789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460246124.854289.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Fishing trip wise; it's a different ball game up there mate. It's so untouched. The islands are 2hrs out from the mainland and everything is big and colourful and plentiful. I'll be posting pics of Flic and My adventures

Wow looks great, or as mom would say...bloody ell mate, your gonna need need a few pints to go with that mountain of fish & chips! . Two hours so maybe 30 miles, close. Your gonna stay out there for the two weeks or do the back and forth thing? I like to go out and stay for at least a couple of days don't care the race out and back thing anymore.
I sold my ranch in Oregon yesterday will take 30 days to get things in order on the ranch but also have a standing offer from three different people to buy another property i own. No more bills headaches or anything to stop me from droppin by

Matt:
Good to have you back. I've enjoyed your trials, tribulations, successes, and "not so muches" from the beginning. I'm looking forward to catching up and reading more!

Wow looks great, or as mom would say...bloody ell mate, your gonna need need a few pints to go with that mountain of fish & chips! . Two hours so maybe 30 miles, close. Your gonna stay out there for the two weeks or do the back and forth thing? I like to go out and stay for at least a couple of days don't care the race out and back thing anymore.
I sold my ranch in Oregon yesterday will take 30 days to get things in order on the ranch but also have a standing offer from three different people to buy another property i own. No more bills headaches or anything to stop me from droppin by

Nah so the plan is to drive up Exmouth from Perth spend a week doing that. We'll be swimming with whale sharks abd dolphins and camping and fishing. We'll make our way down to Geraldton and leave from there for five days fishing at the Abrolhos islands on a live aboard boat. I'll be doing some scuba diving and spear fishing too. All up we are taking two weeks off on holidays (roadtrips/fishing) etc.

Congrats on the sales mate. Sounds awesome to have people lined up.

Matt:
Good to have you back. I've enjoyed your trials, tribulations, successes, and "not so muches" from the beginning. I'm looking forward to catching up and reading more!

Thanks mate and thanks for following and helping

Nah so the plan is to drive up Exmouth from Perth spend a week doing that. We'll be swimming with whale sharks abd dolphins and camping and fishing. We'll make our way down to Geraldton and leave from there for five days fishing at the Abrolhos islands on a live aboard boat. I'll be doing some scuba diving and spear fishing too. All up we are taking two weeks off on holidays (roadtrips/fishing) etc.

Congrats on the sales mate. Sounds awesome to have people lined up.

Ah...chuckle, i thought you were going to the islands in your boat and spending two weeks....:)....
As for the ranch sale this guy wrote me a letter 12 years ago saying he was interested and i never replied. Yesterday i went over to his nursery and asked him if he wanted my place. He said yes and would i like him to write me a good faith check. Took me totally off gaurd but i said yes. Monday we will do the papers
Whew. Anyway mate, thanks for the updates and wish you a grand holiday. You will have to drop in someday and sit a spell. I'll show you a REAL bar or two.....chuckle....

Thanks for the help mate. Unfortunately the door setup I'm running is the hinged cap rail then the outward swinging door. It's too late to change. I will have to look at securing the mitre joint end of the rail. Perhaps some sort of pin or wedge like you have suggested or a lock to secure it. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming mate!

Actually Matt, on that door, now I've had a chance to go through ALL the photos - quite a marathon - agree with the choice of beer by the way, Hahn Super Dry one of my favourites also - I just wonder, accepting you were planning the transom door will open outwards, I think, from what I can make out, it could go either way, as it is square cut. Is it too late to go for opening inwards..? I've had boats with both, and hands down one that opens inwards, so you can click it back out of the way, and it does not obstruct, or have to traverse duckboard space to open and close, (thinking you may well end up with a dinghy on there at times like many of us - or possibly small Honda genny, or even dive compressor), is preferable in my opinion. Even when just hopping aboard with an armload it's good not having a door to make way for. Either way you'll have to screw on some kind of jamming strip for it to close against, and the hinges could go either side. Unless the non-hinge end is chamfered, and I can't see that.

Not wanting to stick my oar in if you have already thought it all through, and have specific reasons for opening out, but just in case you have not thought of it, I thought it best to throw it in there now, rather than when it is totally too late, mate... :popcorn:

Last edited:
Actually Matt, on that door, now I've had a chance to go through ALL the photos - quite a marathon - agree with the choice of beer by the way, Hahn Super Dry one of my favourites also - I just wonder, accepting you were planning the transom door will open outwards, I think, from what I can make out, it could go either way, as it is square cut. Is it too late to go for opening inwards..? I've had boats with both, and hands down one that opens inwards, so you can click it back out of the way, and it does not obstruct, or have to traverse duckboard space to open and close, (thinking you may well end up with a dinghy on there at times like many of us - or possibly small Honda genny, or even dive compressor), is preferable in my opinion. Even when just hopping aboard with an armload it's good not having a door to make way for. Either way you'll have to screw on some kind of jamming strip for it to close against, and the hinges could go either side. Unless the non-hinge end is chamfered, and I can't see that.

Not wanting to stick my oar in if you have already thought it all through, and have specific reasons for opening out, but just in case you have not thought of it, I thought it best to throw it in there now, rather than when it is totally too late, mate... :popcorn:

Hi bud,
Couple of valid points there. Originally I made a door but it was really heavy so I scrapped it for safety reasons. Didn't want the boat listing etc and having this door flying open etc. I decided to just have a 20mm think panel as a door and it had to swing outwards because I wanted a flush transom. The hull extension extends out1800mm from the transom so I'm not too concerned about manoeuvring backwards on the deck when opening the door, however; my intention is to slip the tender on the hull extension when underway which will create and issue now that you've made me to think a bit more at the logistics of it. Seeing as I want a flush transom and need to have an inward swinging door I'll have to make up another full thickness door to allow it to work but this time I'll look at lighter weight materials to reduce the weight.

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it mate.

Facebook sent me a message. It is two years today I pumped my face full of gun wash thinners. Was a hell of a day getting rushed to hospital in an ambulance. On the flip side, it's been two years since I painted the hull in Highbuild primer lol

Last edited:
Hi bud....however; my intention is to slip the tender on the hull extension when underway which will create and issue now that you've made me to think a bit more at the logistics of it. Seeing as I want a flush transom and need to have an inward swinging door I'll have to make up another full thickness door to allow it to work but this time I'll look at lighter weight materials to reduce the weight. Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it mate.

Ah, well...thank goodness Matt. I was not sure whether to say anything at this stage or not, now I'm glad I did. Thank goodness not too late, eh?

I can't think of anything much more annoying than getting out there at the dock...boat finished...maiden voyage and all that...champers poured, (note not broken), over the bow...dink on the duckboard...(to ferry folk ashore at Rottnest Island or wherever)...turns to invite guests to step aboard...ah, bugger, can't get the door to open enough to get people on. "I had a feeling we shoulda made that door open inwards"... :facepalm::D

Ah, well...thank goodness Matt. I was not sure whether to say anything at this stage or not, now I'm glad I did. Thank goodness not too late, eh?

I can't think of anything much more annoying than getting out there at the dock...boat finished...maiden voyage and all that...champers poured, (note not broken), over the bow...dink on the duckboard...(to ferry folk ashore at Rottnest Island or wherever)...turns to invite guests to step aboard...ah, bugger, can't get the door to open enough to get people on. "I had a feeling we shoulda made that door open inwards"... :facepalm::D

Hsha that's exactly how it would have gone too lol.

Mate I am glad you did say something and to anyone else reading this please; please DO tell me if I'm doing something wrong or something doesn't look quite right. I get so caught up in the finer details of what I'm doing at the time I sometimes lose track of the bigger picture or how things would be better if I did it differently, case in point this door. I might call this area "Pete's Passage" :)

Thanks again mate!

Ok, Ok, OK!!! :D

Not meaning to rush things... but... Here's The BIG Question: :hide:

Matt me mate... Do you have an inkling of "Splash" date????? 2016 / 2017 ??????? :popcorn:

I'm (obviously we're all) wishing you best successes leading to that very exciting day! :thumb:

Your Chum, Art :speed boat:

Ok, Ok, OK!!! :D

Not meaning to rush things... but... Here's The BIG Question: :hide:

Matt me mate... Do you have an inkling of "Splash" date????? 2016 / 2017 ??????? :popcorn:

I'm (obviously we're all) wishing you best successes leading to that very exciting day! :thumb:

Your Chum, Art :speed boat:

Lol.

Purely based on and driven by a financial position at this stage mate, possibly 2017; more likely early 2018.

Lol.

Purely based on and driven by a financial position at this stage mate, possibly 2017; more likely early 2018.

Thanks for input... Matt... Mate!! :thumb:

Facebook sent me a message. It is two years today I pumped my face full of gun wash thinners. Was a hell of a day getting rushed to hospital in an ambulance. On the flip side, it's been two years since I painted the hull in Highbuild primer lol

I read that on FB, and thought, "How'd he squirt thinner in his eyes again? What a moron!"

Then I realized I was the moron, and it was a two year old post...

PS: To the more sensitive members on the forum who lost their sense of humour over in the humour thread, I do not wish to offend actual morons or those who self identify as a moron on the site. I am using the term "moron" figuratively, and in jest.

Last edited:
I read that on FB, and thought, "How'd he squirt thinner in his eyes again? What a moron!"

PS: To the more sensitive members on the forum who lost their sense of humour over in the humour thread, I do not wish to offend actual morons or those who self identify as a moron on the site. I am using the term "moron" figuratively, and in jest.

Well.... that's jest fine, and KO with me!! :whistling:

Haha what did I miss? Has someone thrown the baby out with the bath water?

Moron here. Not offended.

Welcome back Matt!

Went down to SOLSTICE today. Thought I get a couple of days in before I leave for up north.

The pics are in order and is a standard process in the fairing stage.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702474.278482.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702536.291794.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702547.042185.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702559.241853.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702575.194380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702588.947675.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702604.265455.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702633.001212.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702656.503300.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702668.154464.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460702679.770020.jpg

Matt, definitely finished to a high standard. She will be a real beauty.

Man, you are a glutton for punishment. Filler on, sand off, repeat.

Back
Top Bottom