ideal ocean crossing trawler yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eric

Unless I read your implications incorrectly; I believe you look through a glass darkly, to an extent, regarding sea-kindly hull designs available for ocean crossing "small" yachts.

You consistently imply how you feel hard chines, on any portion of a hull, makes for poor handing in wind/storm disruptive seas. I believe that hull designs incorporating forms/shapes of both round bilge displacement type and hard chine planning effects in different hull sections can be excellent for small yacht handling in sea conditions... short of hurricane fed, breaking waves above 30' tall.

Properly mixed hull design I just stated IMO would in general be applicable to boats in the below 100' dimension. Boats larger than that become a weight mass that alters bad weather handling capabilities. Big Ships are a completely different item... in that their deep draft, wll, and enormous weight shifts the entire paradigm for handling in disruptive deep sea conditions.

Art

Let's note too that boats like Flemings have stabilizers, have hulls that have been refined over decades, have very low centers of gravity.

ok I'll ask. What does a new Watson 72 run ? And are they new? Cant find any used ones for sale...

ok I'll ask. What does a new Watson 72 run ? And are they new? Cant find any used ones for sale...

My best estimate is $5 million. That may be low. They were quoting around $3.5 plus export in 2009.

I saw this on one forum - a 2009 posting:

"A few months ago Pete Watson gave a bid to construct a new Watson 72 for $4,800,000.00 NZ and a Watson 79 for $6,250,000.00 NZ plus an export fee of 12 ½% for a foreign buyer."

Cape Horn Yachts - Cape Horn Yacht | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!

But that seems way low. I seem to remember seeing a review article in a magazine (PassageMaker?) on the Watson 72 and think it was more like 2 to 3 times that price.

Not many on the used market only means the owners tend to hang on to them. There is a 60' on the web site being tentatively open for offers of interest as apparently the owner is considering a new Watson build. It is encouraging to see the builder state all Watson's new or used receive full factory support for life.

How many used Dashew FPB's do you find on Yachtworld?

Last edited:
Back in the earlier days of the internet, before the world wide web, forums existed on Usenet :)oldman:). Actually it still exists. I used to participate regularly in a group called rec.photo. One of the questions that frequently came up from those new to the forum was "what is the best camera/lens for taking photographs of xyz?" The answer that invariably came back was "the one you have with you!" It turned out that this answer transcended a whole manner of criteria including cost and portability.

I feel that the same is somewhat true for this thread. The question posed without constraints has almost no meaningful answer. I've watched the youtube videos of the N120 delivery from Hong Kong to Vancouver on more than one occasion. It seems to fit the bill. In the case of (the other) Richard, a Krogen 42 was "the one he had with him!" - and it served him well.

I'm not saying that you should take any boat you have across an ocean. But in the end it's about motivation and not equipment. As a sailor I remember it was clear that there were two types of people who wanted to be full time cruisers - those that went and did it and those that stayed at the dock saving up enough money to go.

Richard

I saw this on one forum - a 2009 posting:

"A few months ago Pete Watson gave a bid to construct a new Watson 72 for $4,800,000.00 NZ and a Watson 79 for $6,250,000.00 NZ plus an export fee of 12 ½% for a foreign buyer."

Cape Horn Yachts - Cape Horn Yacht | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!

But that seems way low. I seem to remember seeing a review article in a magazine (PassageMaker?) on the Watson 72 and think it was more like 2 to 3 times that price.

That was about $3.3 US Million. So, I think the $5 US Million is low. I'd revise my estimate to $6-7 US Million. That is including the export fee.

Last edited:
"The Fleming hull is a semi-displacement design with moderate deadrise, a fine entry forward and a hard-chined, modified V aft - all adding up to a yacht optimized for running most efficiently at 9 to 10 knots, but which can also cruise comfortably at up to 18 knots. A long keel provides directional stability as well as protection of the running gear. The generous flare of the bow and soft forward sections contribute to a comfortable, dry ride especially at passagemaking speeds. The hard chines not only provide lift at higher speeds, but they have an added benefit of creating a more stable boat when at anchor or at the dock."

That pretty much sums up the underbody shape of my previous boat, a 65ft Burger. Combine the above with lots of windage and big picture windows. It was absolutely NOT the ideal ocean crosser.

Yet, with a couple of 50 year old 6-71s it sailed Wisconsin to Hawaii a couple of times, the South Pacific to Australia. Under my ownership we cruised LA to Seattle back and forth and battled 25ft+ seas too many times.

Nobody told me or the previous owners that we couldn't do it. Or maybe I was just young and stupid???

big blue water boat

What about a Northern marine 80?
Great sea boat.. around 3.5 to 4mil.
space for two skiffs

HOLLYWOOD

That pretty much sums up the underbody shape of my previous boat, a 65ft Burger. Combine the above with lots of windage and big picture windows. It was absolutely NOT the ideal ocean crosser.

Yet, with a couple of 50 year old 6-71s it sailed Wisconsin to Hawaii a couple of times, the South Pacific to Australia. Under my ownership we cruised LA to Seattle back and forth and battled 25ft+ seas too many times.

Nobody told me or the previous owners that we couldn't do it. Or maybe I was just young and stupid???

Supposedly Burger actually has another recreational boat under construction. They've had a few years with only commercial boats. A 103' Explorer Model. We chartered a 113' Burger three years ago. The quality of workmanship was beyond reproach. We could never live with the speed or lack thereof. They did go astray in one boat around 2010-11 when they agreed to some things they had never done and never should have taken on. They've survived since with some tour boats and commercial boats. If I was looking for a steel boat, I'd strongly consider Burger. Don't know if they would ever again build anything under 100' though and that's a shame.

I hope this build goes well for them.

I have made a number of offshore sail passages in the spring and fall from New England to the Carib.

Yes there are some days that are exquisite , but mostly its just 10-14 days of work.

If I win the lottery A "box boat" is in my cruising future.

A "box boat" will fit in a sea land big container,

while we will fit in seats in the aluminum overcast and greet the boat wherever we chose world wide.

I would use a Atkin style Sea Bright hull with box keel and reverse dead rise aft.

The box keel would allow a EZ loading or allow the boat to take the ground with ease.

Built in aluminum with a DL of 100 or less would allow higher transit speeds with realistic fuel burn.

A bow cockpit , a drop down transom , and a lowering Pilot House would be included.

Yes the boat will be 40 ft long and under 8 ft wide , but it should fit the bill.

Visit 10, feed 8 , sleep 4 and cruise 2 .

Let the boat spend time on the empty vast ocean , not the crew!

Last edited:
Having an idea on price range would be good.
For the price of a Nordhavn 40 or 46 we bought our Cheoy Lee 66,not as good in a lot of respects however she has long legs 3000 miles @ 8.5 knots,we use about 23 lph at that speed,goes up to 35 lph at 10 knots.Max speed is 13 kts.
Plenty of H20 2700 litres.2 gennys.2 engines.Laundry with dryer.Heaps of room,3 double cabins,1 quad cabin.Proper bridge with settee.Lounge room and a dining table area.
Not as new as the Nordhavns however they are very livable.I find the Nordys in my price range too squeezy inside.
Oh,and one I can't leave home without is a walk in engine room with a workbench.So many boat have tight engine rooms.I was going to buy a Nordy 46 till they showed me the ER on a really hot day.
Actually the other thing that a round bilge boat like this really cannot be without is stabilisers ,Naiads in our case.We rarely roll much more that 10 to 15 degrees,turn them off and the excitement starts.

Attachments

• DSC00087.jpg
    DSC00087.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Lounge aft view.jpg
    Lounge aft view.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Lounge fwd view.jpg
    Lounge fwd view.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 91
Stornaway, I have always had a soft spot for those Cheoy Lee 66s. To me they are more like small ships, and the layout and engine room are great. In my next incarnation, if I'm born a bit richer than this time round, I think I'll buy one.:smitten:

I am kinda surprised that many are for sale. Sara Sara was/is for sale too.

At least one of the boats is being sold since the owners are buying one of the larger FPBs.

Later,
Dan

stronoway7,
Really like that 1st picture.

dannc,
Most really odd things are a fad that will pass. The owners probably sold them and bought boats more like the Hatt. And there are very few multihull boats.

Last edited:
I would choose to cross in a Fleming 65 or 78 over a KK 42 any day and that is not a slam against the KK 42. Now, I personally wouldn't choose to cross in either. Still, I know enough about Fleming and it's proven passagemaking to feel comfortable. So you can have your ideal and I'll have mine.

My actual ideal would be a 164' Westport.

BandB,
Prolly never should have mentioned hard chines .... and made assumptions about the Fleming's hull form aft. Most similar boats however have a big flat and wide deeply emersed stern that is easy for a sea to lift up and toss around. Hard chine boats w an appropriate QBBL aft are very seaworthy if otherwise propperly designed. Countless fish boats are of that form. But I don't think the Fleming has the appropriate QBBL.

I was kinda hoping someone would pop up a picture.

Last edited:
Delta 70's are pretty stout boats. There are two for sale in Seattle, here is one of them:

1988 Delta Marine Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The other one is 2.6m. I have been on Sea Lion, very nice. I have 7,000 ocean miles as crew on a Delta 70, although I haven't crossed an ocean unfortunately. The boats are built for it, no doubt.

Stornaway, I have always had a soft spot for those Cheoy Lee 66s. To me they are more like small ships, and the layout and engine room are great. In my next incarnation, if I'm born a bit richer than this time round, I think I'll buy one.:smitten:

I'm a Cheoy Lee fan in general. They make boats for all purposes. A huge shipyard and manufacturing facility and one of the very few builders in the world that builds with all materials. Huge complex where the employees live on site, including the managers and executives.

They are a well run company that builds good, solid boats, built for various purposes. Their Serenity 68 would be much the current incarnation of the 66's.

BandB,
Prolly never should have mentioned hard chines .... and made assumptions about the Fleming's hull form aft. Most similar boats however have a big flat and wide deeply emersed stern that is easy for a sea to lift up and toss around. Hard chine boats w an appropriate QBBL aft are very seaworthy if otherwise propperly designed. Countless fish boats are of that form. But I don't think the Fleming has the appropriate QBBL.

I was kinda hoping someone would pop up a picture.

You probably shouldn't make assumptions about a boat you know little about. I'll go on the basis of their proven record of seaworthiness.

Only touched upon but the reality. - desires of the owner, capability of crew, budget and schedule/time allowed to upend one's life and blue water travel are the biggest decisions to be made IMHO. Many good boats with after life complications.

Seeing smaller (50 to 80 feet) blue water power boats that are fairly new and now on the market is an interesting phenomena. Whether Northern Marine, Dashew, Nordhavn or Cape Horn there are lots of choices to consider. But who needs that expenditure and capability if the above reality items are brought into play. Not too many.

My wife and I came close to finalizing purchase on one or the other of the above mentioned vessels. But we could not get our head around what is the game plan when 3 or so years of world wide cruising come to an end.

For those with no family, unlimited funds, youth and good health the answer is obvious, blue water cruise forever. But how many fit this mode? Not too many and that is why capable and expensive but the dream has ended vessels are on the market - all the time. High turnover goes with the territory.

So while fussing over whose is best is tantalizing, the reality of the decision is in a quite different arena.

Last edited:
I am kinda surprised that many are for sale. Sara Sara was/is for sale too.

At least one of the boats is being sold since the owners are buying one of the larger FPBs.

Your'e right - Sara Sara still for sale here (see below). I wonder if the 64 is just the ugly ducking of the range.

I think Dashew is finally paying a little more attention to the exterior esthetics and the newer designs are starting to look better.

Perhaps the 64 is just too small for the price?

It seems unusual that so many of these first run boats are all being for sale at the same time after 5 years of use. (then again, the average length of time a house is held is only 7 years, so perhaps not so unusual, and some of the users are moving up to the larger FPB lines).

Sarah-Sarah, an FPB 64 – Black Swan Yachts

Last edited:
It seems unusual that so many of these first run boats are all being for sale at the same time after 5 years of use.

Not so, re-read Sunchasers most excellent post directly above yours. The answer is in the last 3 paragraphs.

Not so, re-read Sunchasers most excellent post directly above yours. The answer is in the last 3 paragraphs.

Thanks - that all makes sense I guess. I guess I'm thinking of how I could keep it for 10 or 15 years or longer - but that must be far from reality for most people.

You probably shouldn't make assumptions about a boat you know little about. I'll go on the basis of their proven record of seaworthiness.

I'm probably right but post some pics and show that I am wrong. May not work though as we may still disagree.

And since most of the boats on here I'm not directly familar with and the average guy would be familar w fewer than that.

Does the Fleming have more deadrise than a Classic GB?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom