Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
BandB,
The Fleming is obviously a good boat and can go offshore but it is far from ideal. People do it all the time but light, shallow and fairly flat bottom boats belong close to shore. How close? ... Depends on the boat and the water. And when you need conditions to that question that type of boat is not the "Ideal Ocean Crossing Trawler Yacht". This thread title is not made of the right words. Ocean crossing is a job for Passagemakers not trawlers. But if you're going to take off accros an ocean aboard a trawler it should be done w a more "ideal" hull than a Fleming. A KK 42 for example.
Eric

Unless I read your implications incorrectly; I believe you look through a glass darkly, to an extent, regarding sea-kindly hull designs available for ocean crossing "small" yachts.

You consistently imply how you feel hard chines, on any portion of a hull, makes for poor handing in wind/storm disruptive seas. I believe that hull designs incorporating forms/shapes of both round bilge displacement type and hard chine planning effects in different hull sections can be excellent for small yacht handling in sea conditions... short of hurricane fed, breaking waves above 30' tall.

Properly mixed hull design I just stated IMO would in general be applicable to boats in the below 100' dimension. Boats larger than that become a weight mass that alters bad weather handling capabilities. Big Ships are a completely different item... in that their deep draft, wll, and enormous weight shifts the entire paradigm for handling in disruptive deep sea conditions.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote