Short Shakespeare antenna - what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianSmith

Vessel Name
Smartini
Vessel Make
2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Recently purchase Trawler #2 (this is the "real" one - #1 was the "practice boat").

Removing a giant mast whose main purpose is to make the boat look more like a ship, but whose secondary purpose is to hold all the antennas. So I've removed them all. But I don't know what one of them is. It's a white Shakespeare, fiberglass, round - but it's short - only about 2 1/2 feet tall. It's also kinda "stubby" (doesn't taper much over its length). The cable going to it was an RG8X, which is apparently just a coax cable - so it could be a VHF antenna, but I've never seen one short and stubby like this. And, there's a "normal" (tall and thin) Shakespeare VHF antenna as well.

(I've tried to attach an image using "Add Video" button - but it might not show up.)

Any ideas what this short, stubby antenna might be, if it's NOT just a second VHF?

Shakespeare make a 3' AM/FM antenna maybe that?

With RG-8 cable, it may be a wi/fi antennae. If it has a very small thread-on end on other end it may have gone to a router or amp.

Sounds like a Sirius or XM satellite radio antenna. Have you tried contacting Shakespeare?

Kinda sounds like a marine CB or old Loran-c antenna.

What equipment no longer receives? :D
Could be an old cell phone antenna. I had one that was 8 ft. I cut it open to look inside. The top 6 ft was empty air! The working part was only 2 feet above the mount. I found an old Motorola 3 watt cell xmtr hidden above the dash connected to nothing, wires cut and left in place.

Trace the wire, if connected you have an answer.

If not connected and no markings, you have no idea what it is...or that it works, might as well toss it.

Cable size tells you nothing.

Rg-8 used for higher frequencies, RG58 for most vhf applications and if it came from factory, Shakespeare in this case, I would assume it was for something other than radio.

Rg-8 used for higher frequencies, RG58 for most vhf applications and if it came from factory, Shakespeare in this case, I would assume it was for something other than radio.

Maybe a rule of thumb...but browsing a catalog, either size can be on a variety if antennas as some have no factory installed cable, you add one.

Our AIS VHF antenna is short and stubby.

-Chris

Could be an old cell phone antenna. /QUOTE]

Agree - My guess

I had one about that size on last boat when I bought it... from the early cell phone days. No longer needed and I removed it & mount...never missed it

I think the connector was a BNC won't swear to it...too long ago

That would be my guess, too, but it's relatively easy to find out.

Make a short jumper to connect the antenna connector core with the outer cable. Disconnect the lead from the antenna (connector or dikes...your choice) and test the coax at the other locations. Pay attention to the outer cable cover and markings to improve your chances of identifying the cable down the road.

Disconnect the antenna from the radio and test continuity between the inner wire and outer cable feeds. When you get continuity, you found your radio.

PS. Make sure all your transmitters are off before you try this. Not so important with receiver-only radios.

Last edited:
So... it's an AM/FM/wifi/cell/VHF/AIS antenna! Cool! :)

I know - I didn't provide much info, and yes, I was just being lazy. I'll trace the cable and see what it plugs into.

BTW, Flywright - your Custom Google Trawler Forum Search is AWESOME!!!!

Back
Top Bottom