I hate losing posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
There must be a timeout function on this forum that deletes posts if I take too long to hit the submit button.

Being thoughtful and helpful may take some time yet the forum deletes posts before posting without any recourse.

No other forum I uses does this and it limits usability of Trawler forums.

Are you speaking of the "full site" mode or the App?

I know for a fact refreshing the screen will cause a "lost post" on the App.

After you write a lot , copy & paste (Ctrl + C ) will save it before you try to post it..

I'm with FF,
When I write a long post ... especially one that takes a lot of careful thought I copy about every other short paragraph or every long paragraph. It's much easier on my i-mac than this i-pad. There is probably a command for the i-mac but I don't know it.
I really don't think it's the site that delets it. The lightest touch on an add will take you out. They put the adds on the right because most are right handed and will frequently touch the right side of the screen. They may be able to increase the sensitivity there too ?? Clicking the "back" arrow may retrive a post and perhaps other "history" functions as well. But I usually just copy. Click the mouse, drag the content and copy via the edit function. Remembering to do it is often my problem.

I'm sorry you have lost posts - especially thoughtful ones. The forum software resets your connection after about 30 minutes of inactivity. This is a security thing so that a member won't leave their login open and unattended (hacker prevention) and to ensure that those on mobile connections and thin data lines won't run up unanticipated data use. It's worth noting that some internet providers do the same thing so you might check your settings...

Typing a response is a period of inactivity as far as the server is concerned because you aren't refreshing pages, navigating around the site, etc. Some suggestions:

1. Depending on your browser if you hit submit and your post is lost, use the back arrow on your browser to return to the last screen - it should recover your post text and then you can copy/paste.

2. Copy your post before you hit submit. The fastest way is to highlight all text and hit ctrl and C on your keyboard. This will copy your text to your clipboard and then on the off chance that your post is lost you can paste it into a new reply window and repost.

Here is one I have never seen before. While responding to a long post, a complete paragraph disappeared from the post. It was the only paragraph I wanted to quote. I tried several times and it disappeared each time. The only way around it was to copy that paragraph before quoting, then paste it in.

Thanks for the replies.

Using IE on a laptop not mobile. The posts are there until I hit submit then they vanish and are not retrievable using back button or any other way. I doubt it is 30 minutes but it is often easily 5 or ten.

Again this is unique to this forum IMO.

Thanks for the replies.

Using IE on a laptop not mobile. The posts are there until I hit submit then they vanish and are not retrievable using back button or any other way. I doubt it is 30 minutes but it is often easily 5 or ten.

Again this is unique to this forum IMO.

Sorry Bayview, but it never happens to me, (laptop or iPad), unless our modem goes awol, or some other obvious glitch. I suspect therefore, with all due respect, it is unique to your set-up, not TF as such. I suggest you do the Control-C thing at intervals, as others have suggested. It might well be an issue with your modem or ISP even.

And now I'm curious - where are all these thoughtful posts? Is there a subforum I'm missing? ?

Keith

I have occasionally had the experience of posting something and then finding it missing when I revisit the thread later. Not usually but sometimes.

I 've done that a time or two posting it on the wrong thread.

Oh, such troubles we have being "Pleasure" Boat Owners!

What will we dooo ...

What will we ever dooooooooooo........

PS: Janet H - I love your avatar!!!

As indicated above, your back button will generally recover it. Most of the time you can even just submit it from that page, but I'd still copy it just in case.

perhaps you will respect this users comment more: from Wxx3
OK. I lost what I had written, so now you get the short version.

All of the above. Pretty much whatever you do or don't do, will make very little difference.............../quote]

Bayview

My experience is the same as yours. Janet gave me the same answer when I complained.
I find that I no longer try for the " Thoughtful post", as the "knee jerk" is so much faster.

I have occasionally had the experience of posting something and then finding it missing when I revisit the thread later. Not usually but sometimes.
Moderator intervention is a possibility.

I disdain/avoid verbosity. :banghead:

Yeah, baby.

When answering a technical question thoroughness and accurate review are, to me, more important than brevity.

When answering a technical question thoroughness and accurate review are, to me, more important than brevity.[/QUOTE]

All three together are excellent!

Wifey B: We lost track? :rolleyes:

He who hesitates is lost? :)

Those who lose submission get into too loose transmission to those who are alpha in tech doings... and in other think[g]s!! :ermm: :D

Horse-Meme.jpg

Back
Top Bottom