110 AC convenience outlets _ Mainship 390 - 2003

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtimmons9942

Anyone had outlets on the port side in the mid-ship and V berth stop working? Another user group mentioned a bad outlet. Are these outlets available anywhere?

If multible outlets at once went dead it sounds like a GFI, breaker or feed wire is the problem.

If you are talking about standard electrical receptacles like on would find in a home or business, they are available at home centers and hardware stores. They rarely "go bad" as in stop working, usually failure is that they get loose inside and the contact with the plug becomes intermittent.

If several have stopped working, it's likely that the GFCI protection has tripped or a circuit breaker has tripped.

Wires rarely fail or fall off the connectors by themselves.

Anyone had outlets on the port side in the mid-ship and V berth stop working?

Have you checked other receptacles on the same circuit?
Like homes boats usually have more than one receptacle on a circuit and they are usually fed by the first one that is likely GFCI - try the test / reset - next check the wiring behind the bad one & the GFCI that feeds it.

I just had the same problem on the land yacht... wire was apparently loose behind the load side of the GFCI unit and melted the wire insulation.

If none of the obvious issues mentioned then start at the breaker w/ a digital VOM to find where you have / lose power in that circuit.

GFCI is the usual suspect. Some are well hidden by the makers. Check the breaker first then other sockets on the boat.

Our Mainship does the exact same thing, it is a tripped GFI somewhere. The circuits are not real obvious though, some GFI are connected to outlets in parts of the boat a long way away from their location.

I love my Mainship, but its wiring schematic is not real well thought out.

At your local big box store sockets can run from 69c (contractors special) to $7.00 industrial or hospital grade.

There IS a difference.

I replaced the GFI and the receptacle in the mid-ship bedroom. Everything is working great now.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom