Getting out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great day today but we have moved down to Moon Point in case the northerlies blew up, nice here with 5 boats. Off to the marina tomorrow where they will load test my house batteries but I know what the verdict will be. They have 3 new 260 amp ones on standby so hopefully out of there by lunchtime a few thousand poorer ��. We will probably overnight on Woody to hide from the N & NW winds. What's the east coast of Fraser north of Moon Point like in the 25 knot SE forecast?

Look forward to catching up and finding whales and fish!

Sometimes we forumites from down under actually manage to run into each other.
Met up with Andrew and his wife Tamara the other day at Moon Point (inside Fraser Island) cruised up to watch the whales, poor conditions but heaps of whales then back down to Moon Point for a few days .
Winds are tending to the North but not strong which is good.
Quick photo of Andrew's Clipper 45 taken as I was going for a fish this morning, note the crappy weather.

Attachments

• Bluechip 3.jpg
    Bluechip 3.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 65
Getting ready for the cruising season. Down at Gold Coast City Marina. Ready for haul out on Monday.
New set of davits going on the stern as we are getting a bit old for hoisting the dinghy on to wheelhouse top.
Paint sides as well as anti foul and some other general clean up work.

Holiday in Europe, and then home early June and then start to head north.
Actually doing a cruise in the Medi, never thought I would end up as a paying passenger on a cruise ship after 45 years at sea on everything from ULCCs to rig tenders and harbour tugs.

Sounds good Benn! Sounds like retirement also.

I'm hoping to head north myself this year, all going well. Really struggling at present with a sciatic nerve problem that wont resolve, but still hoping to avoid surgery.

Benn, we`re looking at doing our fourth cruise. It can be a lot of fun but it is different to land touring. Hope the haulout goes well, with no surprises.
Brian, Sorry to hear of the sciatica. Depends on the precise cause and the advice, but swimming helped me a lot. Good luck with it.

Hi Benn, sounds like an exciting few months coming up for you. We arrive GGCM tomorrow so look forward to catching up.

Hickers and I have been crossing paths a bit of late. Both have been hauled out at the Gold Coast City marina. He is getting a bit of electrical work done re his flexible solar panels , mine are yet to be checked out.
I have done the bottom, refurbishing my stabiliser arms and adding a new set of stern davits. Back in the water a couple of days ago and hope to be finished next week and heading north.
Attached are a few photos, old girl is looking a treat, especially with the new green anti foul.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 52
Very nice Benn! Sounds like a good yard visit, lots of improvement to show and not too much financial pain.

How did your flexible panels checkout in terms of performance versus spec?

Brian,
My flex panels have not been tested yet but plan to do that this week and see how they are performing. They have been up for 3 years now and appear to be ok.
Actual figures may be different.

Thanks John, my davit resistance is over. Will post a photo on final completion.

Boofy davits fitted , dinghy in test position and locking device to be welded in.
Newstabiliser arms being welded up and should be fitted next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 131
Had to look up the word boofy. Not a common word here in Texas.

Nice davits! Very, um, boofy!

I find the stabilizers on the sides of the dinghy even more boofy!

The "Air O Floats " as they are called are a great addition to a dinghy , especially if you use it for free diving. Makes getting back into the dinghy so much easier and with the added buoyancy the boat stays pretty upright. Also good protection for the big boat when dinghy is alongside.
Most of us who sometimes travel north into croc country don't have rubber ducky's.

Hi Benn,
Looking the part mate really like the green anti foul and looks like the prop speed is holding up good also what anti foul is the go in your opinion still have a while to go before needing it but can look around for a good price in the meanwhile.
Troy

Have used Altex this time as they appear to be the only ones doing a green now.
Used to use international Copper Kote Extra , but no longer made.
Slipping every 12 months does take the real fussy requirement out of anti foul requirements.

Flex Solar panels tested yesterday and pumping out 5 amps each pait at 24 volts, more than happy. I think the failures may have something to do with the installation as these were the cheaper Chinese panels.

Thanks Benn

It's a getting closer to once again heading north.
All going well will head out Thursday night after refueling and head north ready to cross the Wide bay Bar at about 0830 on Friday, then up across the Sheridan Flats to Kingfisher Bay for a couple of beers and a pizza. After that it is off to the top of Fraser Island and anchor up at Rooney Point ready for an early morning departure 0100 hrs for Fitzroy Reef.
May be a day or 2 there and then off out to the Swains for about 9 days of fishing and free diving, into Mackay on about the 7 th July.
Will now get to test out my new davits and also the hopefully improved stabilisers.
With the new Victron solar regulator will have a good idea on how my lay flat (chinese) solar panels are working, it is winter but I hope they are still producing well.

Sounds like big fun Benn, check in when you can and post up some of those fish or cray pictures :thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom