New Owner...1977 Heritage West Indian 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedted

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Castoff
Vessel Make
77 Heritage West Indian 36
Well, It's official. We own a 1977 West Indian 36 Trawler. There were only about 75 built by Both Morgan (of sailboat fame and Chris Craft).
It's been re powered with a Perkins Range 4 240 hp turbo diesel. The previous owner states he gets 2.5 mpg @ 9 knots. That make me really happy.

Any ways, I was wondering if there are any Heritage West Indian 36 owners lurking around that can give me any information on the care and operation of these good ol boats. The previous owner says there's another one on the great lakes and the rest are scattered along the east coast and gulf. The boat has some leak issues in the cabin and it would be interesting to know if other owners have confronted the same problems. There'll be some deck replacement for me to do also. That just goes with owning a "vintage" boat though.

If you have any input, I'm all ears. Thanks, Ted

I am a proud owner of a 1978 Heritage Yachts West Indian Trawler. This coming season will be my ninth with "The One". I bought the boat in Portsmouth NH and sailed it home to Prince Edward Island, Canada. I'm very happy with the boat. I still have the original 6-354 Perkins in her and it works great. The previous owner had her for 23 years and kept her in great shape and I have continued looking after her. I'm sure that you will love the boat. I am very happy with mine. Cheers!

One of the best looking trawlers around, and a great layout in my opinion. I camped out next to one over in Stuart, FL for over a year. I was told that only 11 or so exist, some twins and some singles. This one had twins, but was pretty far gone. The Marina owner told me it hadn't moved in 14 years.

Best of luck with your Indian. Keep us informed.

Hello Trawler One, Have you found any wet core in the decks and cabin top? It seems this one has some problems in the walkway around the deck fills and possibly in the cabin top due to the railing not being bedded. The wet core may be due to the wet and freezing conditions of the great lakes. The freeze/thaw that goes on continually in the southern parts of the Lakes during the winter plays havoc on boat decks. When there is a small deck leak water enters the deck and when it gets cold it freezes. The ice expands and separates the core from the glass, then melts with a tiny amount more room for more water. The process can continue till large areas become delaminted and the coring turns to mush.

I haven't been able to verify the extent of the damage, but it will all be repaired as soon as possible. Wet and soft coring is a real is a real hang up for me. Nearly all older boats around these parts suffer from it, bur I just can't seem to live with it.

Have you found any issues that I should take a look at? We'll be bring the boat down the Detroit River and across Lake Erie. The water right now is frigid and it's tough to get a nice weather window so I want to make sure I'm covered as far as things to consider. Thanks, Ted

Tedted, I haven't had issues with wet decks anywhere. No real issues except normal ones with an older boat. I get a lot of compliments on her and I'm sure that you'll enjoy yours. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460490881.815580.jpg

Tedted, I haven't had issues with wet decks anywhere. No real issues except normal ones with an older boat. I get a lot of compliments on her and I'm sure that you'll enjoy yours.View attachment 50684

I see you have radar set up on your boat. How and where did you mount it. I bought radar and will be mounting it soon. It would be nice to see how you went about it. Thanks, Ted

It is bolted to the aft, port side of the flybridge. Had the mast built, powder coated, with two plates welded to the mast with 4 bolt holes in each. Bolt thru the side of the bridge with a backing plate inside. It doesn't rest on the sole of the flybridge. Very easy to lower if need.

On the mast I have also a vhf speaker, wifi extender, anchor light and aft facing flood light. Cheers!

On the mast I have also a vhf speaker, wifi extender, anchor light and aft facing flood light. Cheers!

Hi again trawler one, I looked at the photo of your boat. The mast looks really nice. Was wondering how thick the plates are and the diameter of the tubing. I'm a die hard DIYer and am going to built a tower. Is the mast designed to hinge down?

I plan on using aluminum for the mast and would like to have it powder coated. I never thought about hanging other goodies up there.
Thanks, Ted

I haven't been to the boathouse in a week or so, but I will be going in the next week so i will get the measurements for you. Cheers!

Care of West Indian 36

I'm a 20-year owner of a Chris Craft version of the West Indian 36. In my experience, the leaks into the cabin have been caused by leaks at all the screw hole holding the teak trim on the side of the cabin top. These can be easily caulked. Leaks also come from the trim around the hull/deck joint. My boat has three pieces of teak covering that joint. You may have to take of the outside piece and dry and caulk everything on the inside. It means removing a lot of screws and teak plugs but it may be necessary.
I solved the water intrusion problem by doing all of the above. It's a great boat by I have to sell mine because of age (mine) and arthritis. Good luck with yours.
Marshall Muller

Well, It's official. We own a 1977 West Indian 36 Trawler. There were only about 75 built by Both Morgan (of sailboat fame and Chris Craft).
It's been re powered with a Perkins Range 4 240 hp turbo diesel. The previous owner states he gets 2.5 mpg @ 9 knots. That make me really happy.

Any ways, I was wondering if there are any Heritage West Indian 36 owners lurking around that can give me any information on the care and operation of these good ol boats. The previous owner says there's another one on the great lakes and the rest are scattered along the east coast and gulf. The boat has some leak issues in the cabin and it would be interesting to know if other owners have confronted the same problems. There'll be some deck replacement for me to do also. That just goes with owning a "vintage" boat though.

Proud new owner Morgan 36 FT West Indies as of May 2019. Currently being restored at Huckins Yacht Corporation Jacksonville. Repowered Perkins 135 HP. Rebuilt Generator. Would like to network with other owners care and operation.

If you have any input please reply. Jim

I am a proud owner of a 1978 Heritage Yachts West Indian Trawler. This coming season will be my ninth with "The One". I bought the boat in Portsmouth NH and sailed it home to Prince Edward Island, Canada. I'm very happy with the boat. I still have the original 6-354 Perkins in her and it works great. The previous owner had her for 23 years and kept her in great shape and I have continued looking after her. I'm sure that you will love the boat. I am very happy with mine. Cheers!
Proud new owner Morgan 36 FT West Indies as of May 2019. Currently being restored at Huckins Yacht Corporation Jacksonville. Repowered Perkins 135 HP. Rebuilt Generator. Would like to network with other owners care and operation.

Tedted, I haven't had issues with wet decks anywhere. No real issues except normal ones with an older boat. I get a lot of compliments on her and I'm sure that you'll enjoy yours.View attachment 50684

I'm a 20-year owner of a Chris Craft version of the West Indian 36. In my experience, the leaks into the cabin have been caused by leaks at all the screw hole holding the teak trim on the side of the cabin top. These can be easily caulked. Leaks also come from the trim around the hull/deck joint. My boat has three pieces of teak covering that joint. You may have to take of the outside piece and dry and caulk everything on the inside. It means removing a lot of screws and teak plugs but it may be necessary.
I solved the water intrusion problem by doing all of the above. It's a great boat by I have to sell mine because of age (mine) and arthritis. Good luck with yours.
Marshall Muller

Does anyone know of any others for sale at this time?

Back
Top Bottom