Cruising Spare Parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Aside from filters and impellors, what kind of spare parts do you carry?

I'm assuming gaskets, belts, spare injector(s) etc.

How often have you had to use them?

Woody, with twin engines no spares needed!

On a more serious note, how long should one keep spares before they become suspect - say water pumps, impellers, hoses, belts and anything else rubber based?

Lift pump.

Raw Water Impeller, fuel filters, belts.

I'll add to the above...A/C pump, shower sump pump, hose washers, cable TV splitters and double male fittings, Water/gas separator filter for dinghy OB, fuses and all sorts of light bulbs, hose clamps, electrical connectors and strippers/crimpers, ss screws and bolts, bicycle spokes, bilge pump and float switches. and on and on...

Egregious wrote:

Aside from filters and impellors, what kind of spare parts do you carry?

I'm assuming gaskets, belts, spare injector(s) etc.

How often have you had to use them?
It depends a lot on how far from home you will be cruising, availability of parts away from home, the tools you carry on board, and your ability to understand what is needed and how to do the work.

I have*a spare impeller, belts, filters (one or more of each), oil, and coolant (pre mixed).* Fuses, a small selection of wire, various screws, bolts, nuts, washers, electrical terminals, electrical tape, duck tape, and chemicals and lubricants.* Also, two shore power cords and adapters to 50 amp and 20 amp.

I keep a pretty well equipped tool box onboard so I don't have to take tools back and forth from home.

Doc wrote:

I'll add to the above...A/C pump, shower sump pump, hose washers, cable TV splitters and double male fittings, Water/gas separator filter for dinghy OB, fuses and all sorts of light bulbs, hose clamps, electrical connectors and strippers/crimpers, ss screws and bolts, bicycle spokes, bilge pump and float switches. and on and on...
I think I carry all that except the bicycle parts, plus I probably have the fittings and clamps Doc is missing.*
biggrin.gif
Sometimes I think I am a floating hardware store.
Main engine wise I had to change a V belt once while underway and of course fuel filters. I once chafed thru a turbo oil hose, that wasn't fun but I was close to home.
I've topped off coolant and oil, but "knock on wood" never had anything major break.

I do keep spare impellers and belts, and I rotate them every 2 years, ie spares go on the engine and I buy new spares.

Our boat is pretty well equipped with spares, so we can cruise to remote locations in BC and SE Alaska and keep things running.

When I bought this boat, I was unfamiliar with the 210HP Cummins engine which only had 424 hours over the previous 9 years.* But the boat came equipped with a spare starter, FW pump, SW pump, FO pump solenoid, FO lift pump, thermostat, belt tensioner and alternator.

Within 3 months, I had replaced the running parts with the spares for two main reasons:* To find out how to do it (and to make sure I had the tools to do it), and to make sure that all of the spares fit and worked.* The*removed parts were rebuilt/reconditioned and brought back onboard as the new spares.

Jay N wrote

Within 3 months, I had replaced the running parts with the spares for two main reasons:* To find out how to do it (and to make sure I had the tools to do it), and to make sure that all of the spares fit and worked.* The*removed parts were rebuilt/reconditioned and brought back onboard as the new spares.
***********Good point- What good are spares if you are missing a tool or fitting to make the swap?

********** JohnP

Must agree with most of the above.
Spare impellers for all pumps, spare belts for all driven equipment, spare starter motor for main engine, a couple of spare injectors for both main and gen engines, a kit for making up
replacement high press fuel lines, a spare drive plate.
If you have room in the engine room carry it as long as you have the nouse to do the repairs.

Benn

All of the above, except maybe the bicycle spokes. My spare starter is new/rebuilt, spare fresh and sea water pumps for the engine, every belt & hose, clamps, 2 changes of oil and trans fluid, fuel pump, injector pipes, exhaust elbow, drive plate, zincs, prop, filters, trans and eng heat exchanger, rad cap, alternator, etc. I also carry tools to repair/replace all of the above, including bolts to pull the flywheel. (If you've ever done one on a Lehman you know what I mean) a combination wrench of the proper size to change the prop, prop puller, etc.

None of my spares are half worn out like the twin engine guys are.
wink.gif
Most are painted to match, (if needed) and sealed airtight in seal a meal bags until needed.

2bucks wrote:

wink.gif
Most are painted to match, (if needed) and sealed airtight in seal a meal bags until needed.

2bucks- Thats a good one.** Got to love your single!* JohnP

2bucks wrote:

wink.gif
Yeah, but you have to put your spares on while your boat's rolling and pitching like a son of a bitch in a seaway and the current's carrying you*toward the rocks.* The twin guys just keep going and make the fix in the peace and quiet and no-pressure, no-urgency calm of the slip.
smile.gif

I know which situation I vote for.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 08:41:24 PM

Most spare parts just rust away in some damp corner anyway.

A boat that is not underway or manned constantly is a horrible warehouse.

A boat that is underway and manned constantly is just a bad place to store spare parts until they are lost or useless.

AS a Cruising Sailor the rule was a spare part was an operating part (like an alternator or starter) that was removed and replaced with the spare.

This assures the spare works , and that you have the tools and skills to replace it .

While its not a spare part , the concept of spraying much of the engine with fogging oil (stays in place), and WD40 on the electric terminal ends seems to help.

FF wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS a Cruising Sailor the rule was a spare part was an operating part (like an alternator or starter) that was removed and replaced with the spare.

This assures the spare works , and that you have the tools and skills to replace it .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with FF. We try put on our spares such as alternators, voltage regulators, starters, etc. when we get them and then put the working part in inventory. We have found a lot of new spares suffer from SID (sudden infant death). More than once we have installed a "new" or rebuilt alternator only to have it not work at all or fail with in the first few days.

Marin wrote:

2bucks wrote:

wink.gif
Yeah, but you have to put your spares on while your boat's rolling and pitching like a son of a bitch in a seaway and the current's carrying you*toward the rocks.* The twin guys just keep going and make the fix in the peace and quiet and no-pressure, no-urgency calm of the slip.
smile.gif

I know which situation I vote for.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 08:41:24 PM

I suppose if you don't maintain your boat or have no mechanical skills that may be a problem. Have you had many starters fail while underway*in the middle of a seaway? Regular maintenance and visual inspections allow me to make the repairs at the dock without the problem of finding a mechanic or a spare part. Is locking that non-running engine shaft a problem while pitching violently?

It's amazing how bad the conditions you boat in are. Violent seas, unpredictable hurricane force winds, swift currents always sweeping you towards the rocks, extreme amounts of seaweed, logs and stumps everywhere, contstant breakdowns. I now understand why it takes two of you on constant watch to run your boat and why you disconnected your autopilot, and have to constantly retune your radar so as not to be lost at sea.

"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

Wow, I asked a simple question.* And what I got was priceless.*

It is amazing, all this brouhaha over pieces of wood in the water. *Wood that thousands of vessels avoid every day, and a few don't.* Sometimes a good riposte is all that is needed.

sunchaser wrote:

It is amazing, all this brouhaha over pieces of wood in the water. *Wood that thousands of vessels avoid every day, and a few don't.* Sometimes a good riposte is all that is needed.
Sort of like the broughaha over fuel polishing systems that thousands of boaters don't use ever and a few do, wouldn't you say Tom? *
smile.gif

I hear you Marin. Ripostes would*have helped*on that thread*too.

One spare part I am now carrying onboard is a lehman-Jabsco water pump drive!

This was donated by a generous member of the Trawler Forum.

JohnP

But with a single engine you'll be changing it in unpredictable winds, with logs and stumps and eelgrass floating around you, clogging the intake, while in a hot cramped engine room, being swept towards the rocks by a swift current. Or at least that's what I'm told........

Ken, *I could be anchored off the channel in a calm spot. With the engine cooled down after a simple lunch or refreshing swim.

You never know.

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 21st of February 2011 09:03:04 AM

JohnP wrote:

Ken, *I could be anchored off the channel in a calm spot. With the engine cooled down after a simple lunch or refreshing swim.

You never know.

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 21st of February 2011 09:03:04 AM
Well that spoils all my fun. I guess if you were in Bellingham Bay instead of that mill pond in New Jersey, you'd know how dangerous it was all the time, totally unpredictable conditions out there. I read a book once where a whale attacked a ship, so I keep a sharp lookout for them now too.

Yours truly, tongue in cheek
Keith

Keith, I will keep a sharp watch for them. Do whales swim in 6' of water?

JohnP

Marin wrote:Sort of like the broughaha over fuel polishing systems that thousands of boaters don't use ever and a few do, wouldn't you say Tom? *
smile.gif
Though it pains* me greatly....I have to agree!

SeaHorse II wrote:

Marin wrote:Sort of like the broughaha over fuel polishing systems that thousands of boaters don't use ever and a few do, wouldn't you say Tom? *
smile.gif
Though it pains* me greatly....I have to agree!

Walt, We are just having a little fun.* When and if the day comes I have to change out my newly aquired spare part- regardless of conditions- I will have to credit Marin for saving the day for without his input I would not have been prepared to fix the issue.* Also major credit goes to the*member who gave me the part.

Great folks all-- Awesome Forum!

JohnP*

SeaHorse II wrote:Though it pains* me greatly....I have to agree!

I didn't mean it pains me to agree with Marin but rather it's what he said! I often agree with Marin!

This G--D--- English language is a bitch to make one's true intent known. I wish I knew how to speak and write in Greek as the interpretation is quite literal in that language.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom