Whale Watcher Hits Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Half way out of the slip, the wind pushed the stern around in about 10 seconds....

I still have to replace a bent dock post (2" galvanized square pipe) from last season, same scenario. Caught the dock post with the bow pulpit, creased it over like a soda straw. Happily barely a mark on the pulpit though, and thanks to a strong marina neighbor I didn't take out the salon windows of the boat next door. Just as you say, I should have been more assertive.

This happened to me when entering the berth and the drive shaft fell apart. Was unable to engage the propeller to slow down. When shifting from neutral to reverse, heard a "kerplunk" when a section of the shaft dropped. :eek: Rammed the dock but no damage to steel boat or dock. :blush: Was going dead slow.:thumb:

Last edited:
A couple of shots from the bow mounted canon should have slowed you down, assuming it is not recoiless... :)

A couple of shots from the bow mounted canon should have slowed you down, assuming it is not recoiless... :)

Takes about five minutes to deploy the cannon, and its mount is not set up for a bow shot.

Last edited:
The only time I hit another boat, when i damaged my fashion plate, I was trying to be cautious. Too cautious it turns out.

The wind was blowing from the stern and we had to back out. I "hot dogged" it out previous times and it worked fine.

So this time, having all the confidence in the world, I figured I could go slower and be "safer".

Half way out of the slip, the wind pushed the stern around in about 10 seconds.

I love TF, I have learned so much. :popcorn: But too many here think there is only ONE WAY to do it.:facepalm: Whatever IT is. :eek:
Every docking or departure can be different, but the longer it takes, the greater the exposure to adverse wind or current, with a greater chance of the boat going somewhere not intended. Not suggesting high speed maneuvers, just getting the job done as quickly as is safe. Though on occasions, some speed might be indicated, like in your reversing move.

Back
Top Bottom