Injector Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
My injector pump has just started dripping a small amount of oil from what I think is the vent; the sheet metal dome thing on the side of the pump. It only drips if I run above 1600 rpm; I think. I've never went down an checked it when underway. Any suggestions? Oh, engine is a FL 120. I changed the oil in the pump about a year ago; no oil drips till now.

Thanks

Have you checked the oil level? There is a plug on the side. Open it and let any extra oil/fuel out.

Hope it's as simple as that.

Well I filled it to the correct level about a year ago when I changed the oil. Everything has been fine up till now. That's what has me confused, this just started a couple weeks ago. But I will check it anyway for peace of mind.

I change the oil in my pump every 50 hours. The old oil is thinner and I am guessing some fuel is getting by the seals in the pump?

Buster that makes sense. I haven't changed it in approx. 100 hrs. That will be corrected this weekend. I'll let everyone know if that solves the problem. Thanks everyone.

This is probably the correct thread to ask this question. Over the weekend I am changing the injector pump oil on my new to me Albin. I've looked over the manual, etc. and cannot see a place telling me what oil to refill it with. Engine is FL120 2715E.

Yup. The spec is to use the same oil as is used in the engine.

Ken

Thanks. From a temperature standpoint at my latitude (Chesapeake Bay), they call for either 10W40 or 20W in the engine. I know it has 20W in it now. Any opinions?

Whatever wt. you use in the eng. goes in the pump; as per LF book.

Greetings,
Mr. Id. Does the Lehman manual call for multi grade (10W40 for example)? I'm pretty sure my manual calls for single grade (30 or 40 depending on temperature). Best to follow the manual.

Here you go.

Attachments

• SimmsPump.JPG
    SimmsPump.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 68
  • InjectorPump.JPG
    InjectorPump.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
The Lehman 120 is supposed to have oil in the injector pump changed at 50 hours due to fuel dillution. At 100 hours, the oil is probably dilluted and overflowing. Each engine has its own personality and some are able to go longer than 50 hours, some are not. I would change at 50 hours reguarly due to the cost of rebuilding the injector pump versus the small cost of a quart of oil.

Located it. PO was using 20W. 32-90 degree weather calls for 30W and over 90 degrees requires 40W. JL is right. Not sure when the injector oil was changed last, so it will get done this weekend.

This is why I am logging everything in a logbook - date, engine hours, etc. Just located doc that adds 2100 hours to what is reading on the lower helm - and I have the receipt for the new tach / hour meter. I knew the hours were off but not by how many.

The boat is a '78 and total hours are 3008. Must have sat at the dock a lot.
-----------------
mike

Changed injector oil last evening. It was very low. Anyway, when I removed the level plug, there was the evidence of teflon tape on the threads of the level plug. On closer inspection, someone in the past had obviously over tightened the level plug (which explained a length of rubber hose and a hose clamp over it). I need to inspect the threads on the pump side more closely, but the threads on the plug are worn.

I am guessing I'll have to eventually remove the pump and clean the threads at the end of the season as long as nothing is leaking, unless there is a good way to clean the pump housing threads without getting any crud or metal back into the injector pump...

Remember the housing is aluminum when checking threads. I had a valve on my drain. Drained the oil and filled with 14oz oil. No need to remove the overflow screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Synthetic on an older Lehman injector pump?

Greetings,
Mr. Id. "Synthetic on an older Lehman injector pump?" I stand by my statement in post #11. Best to follow the manual regardless of anecdotal "new and improved". It will be YOU paying for any damages done by listening to dock rumors, NOT the dock "experts".

Last edited:
RTF- Over the weekend I did the change with 30W. Was wondering about the divergent suggestions.

The manual also suggests 40W for operation between the 60's and 90's F. Anyone using 40W in their Lehman?

I am using 15W40 as I had it left over from using it in the engine. Changing every 50 hours and you cold usee ANYTHING including KY jelly.

I put over 2000 hrs on my supposedly rebuilt Lehman over the last 5 years. It doesn't make a drop of oil increase from fuel dilution so changing every 50 is insane....checking every 50 by pulling the overflow plug maybe, but changing every 50 is a waste of time and oil..

Last edited:
I am using 15W40 as I had it left over from using it in the engine. It doesn't make a drop of oil increase from fuel dilution so changing every 50 is insane....checking every 50 by pulling the overflow plug maybe, but changing every 50 is a waste of time and oil..

I agree and also use 15W-40 and have changed my interval to 100 hours based on the fact that I drain out exactly what I put in.

Back
Top Bottom