Noisy electric heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I understand it, in both fresh water and raw water set ups, the maceration or grinding happens as it exits the head before it ever gets to the head tank... at least that is how it works with our electric raw water Jabsco system.

In my system freshwater volume depends on how long you hold the switch.
We use more water in the aft head because it has a long run to the holding tank.
The macerator is at the bowl exit and runs whenever the flush solenoid is open, therefore everything going into the holding tank is macerated.
So everything that is pumped out via the pump out station.
I have no means to pump overboard at the moment and will*keep it that way as long as pumpout stations (and pumpout boat services like we have in the northeast) ) are available and convenient and affordable.

jleonard wrote:

"Is there any problem with having two different systems?"

NO. I almost went that way but decided to go freshwater with both. And....I carry 240 gal fresh water and have never been close to running out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to go with just the freshwater system for both heads (if we decide we can afford to change both heads at once) *... it sounds like it is the quietest and least smelly option..

When you say you were never close to running out of fresh water, what was the longest time you were away from fresh water access and with how many people?

I really should monitor our water usage a little better .. so far we have never rationed our water... we actually have a shower/tub which probably uses a lot ..

Delia Rosa,
I don't remember who made the quiet flush kit unfortunately, but might be worth a Google.

The conversion is really easy to do - may be 4 hours work if you already have a sea-water wash-down pump. You just need to wire in a solenoid valve and get some hose and clamps. Our is also connected to a Lectrasan which made the wring a little more complex - but still quite easy. Cut the disk out of any flat piece of plastic - it doesn't need to be a precise fit.
Cheers,

-- Edited by Bendit on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 02:40:38 PM

Per wrote:

how much freshwater does the newer freshwater systems use each flush?

also, i am wondering where in the system the macerator fits in.
it seems to me that in a regular electric marine head, the flush goes into the holding tank without any grinding.
if you dump out, then the macerator does its job, but if you use a pump out station to vacuum the waste out, no macration has been done?
Starting one* at a time.
how much freshwater does the newer freshwater systems use each flush?
Approx 2 quarts

also, i am wondering where in the system the macerator fits in.
It's just a blade, not unlike a the blade in a blender, in the toilet.

it seems to me that in a regular electric marine head, the flush goes into the holding tank without any grinding.
That depends on the type of toilet.* Most electric toilets macerate...manual toilets, incnluding those who've replaced the pump handle with a motor, don't.

if you dump out, then the macerator does its job, but if you use a pump out station to vacuum the waste out, no macration has been done?

Yes...no...but it really doesn't matter...'cuz some (most electric) toilets macerate...some don't.* Some pumps that dump tanks macerate...some don't. It's not a big deal because solid waste dissolves very quickly in water and so does quick dissolve TP..so there's not--or shouldn't be- much in the toilet or tank that needs macerating,* If there is, somebody flushed something they shouldn't have..

Btw...anything named "quiet flush" is a Jabsco (read: bottom of ANY equipment food chain) product.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 07:56:43 PM

Peggy wrote:
Tecma toilets are made in Italy...one of the best on the market.*

Peggy,* I have to differ with you.* The well documented problems I have had with the Tecma Silence continue to this day, and as you are aware, this has been going on for several years.* Despite the known design flaw, and the factory fix for this problem, to date, I have been unable to get the correct part.* About once a year, a dealer contacts me after seeing my posts about the problem, and offers to help get it fixed, but then never follows through.* This happened again about three months ago, and after a few back and forth emails, the communications stopped.* At this point, I would recomend folks stay far away from any Tecma products, their customer service is awfull.* I'm so fed up with the Tecma, I'm about ready to send it to a land fill, despite having spent a LOT of money on it.................Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 10:30:42 PM

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 10:37:26 PM

"When you say you were never close to running out of fresh water, what was the longest time you were away from fresh water access and with how many people"

About 10 days with 2 people aboard. I boat in the LI Sound area. Water is easy to get if I need it.

Jeff, in all of my travels and all the sites I'm on, you're the only person I've ever heard complain about the Tecma. If I were that unhappy with ANYTHING, I'd have put the d'd thing up for sale on eBay or Craigs list and replaced it long ago!

Meanwhile, since all your problems are a result of silt in the local sea water, have you considered replumbing it to use fresh water. That can be done safely by adding another tank. The easiest way to do it would be to find a space into which you can stuff an unvented bladder...connect the head intake line to it...connect a fill line to a sink drain line using a y-valve. That's the only plumbing needed. When the water in the bladder runs low, run water down the sink and turn the y-valve to fill it. Totally safe because there's no head plumbing connected to any fresh water plumbing.

HeadMistress wrote:

Jeff, in all of my travels and all the sites I'm on, you're the only person I've ever heard complain about the Tecma.
Hi Peggy,* I don't think I'm the only one to have these problems, here is an email I got from a Master Tecma dealer:

Hi Jeff,

My name is Noel Dyne and I am the agent for Tecma in Mallorca, Spain.** I have just seen your emails on "Passage Maker".

I am sorry to hear that you have had a lot of problems with your Tecma toilet

I have had this problem with the breather*many times before. I agree that it*is a nightmare when the breather hose gets blocked because the toilet acts as if it is blocked but when you strip it you cannot find any problem with the toilet. There is a new inlet hose which is simular but*may stop this problem.

The underlining was done by Noel, not me.* Here is a second email I got from another dealer a few months ago, admitting he has seen the problem too.*

I saw a post on trawlerforum.com regarding a Tecma discharge hose airlock issue.* We are a distributor and service center for Thetford/Tecma products.* In the years we have been servicing these toilets, we have only come across this issue a few times.

He may have only seen it a few times, but he is only one dealer, and plenty of others have seen it too, so I think it's safe to say I'm not the only one to have the problem.* As for doing a major overhaul of my system, it's not in the cards.* I just wish I could get the proper re-designed part, but no dealer has ever followed through.** Again, I highly recommend staying away from Tecma due to known design flaws, and lousy customer service.........Arctic Traveller

The flush toilets at home are noisy.* So ... why shouldn't marine toilets be noisy too?

markpierce wrote:

The flush toilets at home are noisy.* So ... why shouldn't marine toilets be noisy too?
*********The noise level of a home flush toilet is what most electric heads hope to achieve.* The Raritan Marine Elegance seems a little quieter.

markpierce wrote:

Different noise.* Home toilets work by gravity and siphoning.* The most noise comes from breaking the siphon.* That is the part that is hard to quiet down.* Marine toilets have a prolonged pump and grind noise that resonates through the structural members of the boat.* Spaces are small and hard to isolate noise wise.* It makes it a very difficult problem to solve.* Even though some are advertised as quiet flush, they are not quiet.* The Vacuflush is the quietest head that I have had, but they are no fun to change the duckbill valves.*

Maybe we should work on a human system that uses food to 100% efficiency and produces no waste.
no.gif

Moonstruck wrote:The Vacuflush is the quietest head that I have had, but they are no fun to change the duckbill valves.
Couldn't agree more.

Moonstruck wrote:

...* Spaces are small and hard to isolate noise wise.* It makes it a very difficult problem to solve.* ...*
Aaahhh, the intimacy of a small boat.

Marine toilets have a prolonged pump and grind noise that resonates through the structural members of the boat.

That may have been true of the original macerating toilets, but the discharge pump and macerator are NOT what makes all the noise in today's macerating electric toilets It's the INTAKE pump on toilets that use sea water that does.* Toilets designed to use pressurized flush water are actually quieter than most household toilets.

The vaccum pump in a VacuFlush is an exception .* Only someone who's never had the vacuum pump installed under his berth would think that it's quiet...A "night switch" in the head to turn off the pump when you retire for the night is mandatory!

HeadMistress wrote:A "night switch" in the head to turn off the pump when you retire for the night is mandatory!
Well said!* (And so true...)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom