Tell Me About My Rudder Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarlinLA

Vessel Name
Boatless
Vessel Make
Dreamer
Crawled back a few feet into the lazzerette to study the rudder stock.

There appears to be a large-ish metal box that is bolted to a couple-inch thick pad made flat against the deadrise of the hull which the rudder stock sticks up through...

Is there a packing gland somewhere?

Is the inside of the box filled with seawater?

Is the top of the box at about the waterline eliminating the need for a packing gland?

Is there a technical drawing of such a rudder arrangement?

Information would be appreciated...

Attachments

• 2016-04-02 02.30.06.jpg
    2016-04-02 02.30.06.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 2016-04-02 02.36.26.jpg
    2016-04-02 02.36.26.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
My packing is under the box.

The back is cut out for access.

Appreciate the heads-up.

Should have looked at the box from the aft too. Will do so at the first opportunity.

Bet that box supports the weight of the shaft and rudder. No real weight on that little skeg at the bottom of the rudder.

I'm learning.

Attachments

• 20160307_084649.jpg
    20160307_084649.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 106
exterior looks exactly like my boat

Back at Satori today. Went back in for pictures from the back side of "the box".

Obviously its not a box... more like a shell.

And it looks it's age... 30 years sitting back there year after year with no complaints but no maintenance.

Since it's such a fundamental component and can't easily be removed - it's not getting any service until a 2017 haulout.

Bummer. Wish I could Samantha twitch it back to new.

Attachments

• 2016-04-09 12.20.04.jpg
    2016-04-09 12.20.04.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 154
Back at Satori today. Went back in for pictures from the back side of "the box".

Obviously its not a box... more like a shell.

And it looks it's age... 30 years sitting back there year after year with no complaints but no maintenance.

Since it's such a fundamental component and can't easily be removed - it's not getting any service until a 2017 haulout.

Bummer. Wish I could Samantha twitch it back to new.

Looks similar to mine. I had it "Samantha-twitched" back to new in Mexico this year for $650. Great deal. Salt was starting to accumulate around the packing, which told me it was starting to fail. It probably could've just been a packing replacement, but I figured since I only have one rudder, might as well re-build the whole thing. They built me a new bracket out of stainless, re-machined the rudder post for smoother operation, and re-packed the seal.

Before:
RT0Yhe3.jpg

After:
1ReeuVo.jpg

One of the major design (or build) flaws in my boat is the inability to replace rudder shaft packing without a partial disassembly. Apparently that kept the PO from maintaining them. I'm considering gore packing on my rudder shafts in the hope I'll never face this again.

Looks similar to mine. I had it "Samantha-twitched" back to new in Mexico this year for $650. Great deal. Salt was starting to accumulate around the packing, which told me it was starting to fail. It probably could've just been a packing replacement, but I figured since I only have one rudder, might as well re-build the whole thing. They built me a new bracket out of stainless, re-machined the rudder post for smoother operation, and re-packed the seal.

Before:
RT0Yhe3.jpg

After:
1ReeuVo.jpg
Vic... looking good... at the risk of thread drift... how did you and your 36 foot trawler find yourself in Mexico last year?

One of the major design (or build) flaws in my boat is the inability to replace rudder shaft packing without a partial disassembly. Apparently that kept the PO from maintaining them. I'm considering gore packing on my rudder shafts in the hope I'll never face this again.

Angus - there should be an award for the most heroic retrofit and you desearve it... before picture is shocking and after picture is encourging.

Back
Top Bottom