Seahorse 52 LRC anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seahorse

[FONT="Arial Black"[/FONT][QUOTE="jimnche, post: 36333, member: 1518"]Yes, we own her now, bought her in May 2010. Builder is Seahorse marine

-- Edited by jimnche on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:35:54 PM

-- Edited by jimnche on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:36:32 PM

-- Edited by jimnche on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:36:59 PM[/QUOTE]

How do you like your seahorse? I have not heard any negatives out there . I an considering this boat. Have seen several. I am partial to the signal screw versus twins. Your opinion is appreciated.

I see this is an old post however I just purchased a 52 with 2'ext swim deck. I believe it's the 2011 sister to the' avatar.

Thought folks might be interested in the following from the NordHavndreamers forum:

Re: Heat - Batteries - Explosion - Sunk
Posted by: "marc.siedenburg" marc.siedenburg@yahoo.com marc.siedenburg
Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:03 am (PST)

I have had a experience like this, but we were in time to stop a potential disaster just in time. I am happy to share this information. On my Stentor Yacht I have 6x 200Ah Mastervolt Gel service batteries outside of the engine room, charged by two Victron Phoenix inverter/chargers (4-step charging). During delivery of the boat the installation was checked by Victron. A very crucial part of the installation is the thermo compensation, and there was one sensor mounted to the first battery.

Three years later, after a long trip and on a hot summer's day, we moored in our Marina and attached the shore power. After dinner my wife noticed that the floor around the battery compartment was warm. I opened the hatches to the batteries to find out that two of the six batteries were "cooking" and seriously venting gases and moisture (sulphuric smell) trough the safety-vents. The batteries were to hot to touch by hand. I opened all doors and to vent the area, shut down the main switch (which could have lead to an explosion!, but I had shut down the inverter/chargers and all onboard 24Volt systems, so there was no load) and disconnected the two batteries from the other four. Those two batteries have been hot for an entire week! The cases were deformed from the heat, but did not open up in any way. I now think we were just in time to prevent a disaster.

Later inspection of the system revealed that the thermo sensor was not connected to the Phoenix chargers (this is a requirement) but to the battery monitor only...
And still then one sensor would not be enough. In a series-parallel connected grid, there are always small differences between the batteries and in my opinion all batteries should have a thermo-sensor connected to the charger(s) for thermo compensation. However; most chargers don't have this capability.

I spoke to Victron about the two hot batteries. They explained that during heat-buildup, two lead-plates in the batteries can "warp" and make a internal short circuit, thus progressing to even more heat. They called it a thermal runaway.

I concluded from this that the thermal compensation for charging is very, very important. Not only the chargers should have this compensation (reducing the absorption voltage when heat is measured) but also on the DC generators of the main engine.

Stay safe,
Marc
Arlinde redirect page

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 2003 Seahorse, which is on it's way back to my house on the Chesapeake Bay near Baltimore/Annapolis. It's reaching Myrtle Beach now with a hired crew and I'll meet the boat in Norfolk. I wanted to go with on the trip, but my job didn't allow the time and wanted to get it home.

I have hull #12 and I've been in touch with the builder already to get some of the diagrams of the boat. We went through a long purchase process with the broker, but ended up getting an allowance for a potential engine issue that could be easily solved.

We loved the boat and it was surveyed in the past in Oct, and they did repair many of the issues. The problem with this boat is that it just sat in a marina for a year and a half, so the lack of use is going to cause us to work out some bugs like dirty fuel, clogged injectors etc... We'll get through it and I'm excited to get it home.

Ours has a larger engine set than normal and they have Cummins 370B's in this so it's maybe a little over powered, but good for the Chesapeake Bay.

If any owners have any diagrams of where the water, general waste and wiring go, I'd be happy to receive any advice as well. I've already had some issues understanding the fuel system and tank system on this boat, but I'll study it.

Just ran across this old thread when looking for information on Seahorse Marine 52. Looks like a good value and a nice looking boat. There are a few for sale at reasonable prices. Anyone with an update on how they are holding up?

Also, I'm very curious as to what happened to Kekada, I don't have access to the Diesel Duck site so can't get the details. There doesn't seem to be any other information on the accident.

Any light that could be shed on this would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom