Perkins T6.354 heat exchanger anode p/n

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgdavis

Veteran Member
We hauled out today for bottom paint. I plan to several maintenance items while we are on the blocks. One of those items is replacing the pencil zinc in the heat exchanger. I realized when I sat down to order a replacement that my engine books are on board, a 60 minute drive from home.:facepalm:

Does anybody have easy access to a part number for a replacement pencil zinc for my T6.354? The help would be much appreciated.

Man I was just at the boat this afternoon . My book is on the boat as well . I'm sure I'll go back one day this week and I could get it for you then if you still
need .

I can get it for you tommorow where all my receipts are i think they are 3'8 but mine dont go in the heat exchanger they go in line

If this helps, my bill from the marina says CAM-E1ZP Penzil Zinc 1/2 x 2 3/8 PLU. One for the heat exchanger, one for the intercooler.

I haven't been able to find ANY zincs on my 1982 T6.354's.

Any clues as to where to look?

This is the zinc in the heat exchanger.

img_430597_0_b352fef1f876fffd05584ca0f3f1f44b.jpg

This is the zinc on the intercooler. It is the middle bolt. It is on the end that faces forward.

img_430597_1_1b95c59b17540a6594b8363d2674c52d.jpg

Thanks for the replys. I haven't had time to do anything about them yet. I did get the chance to rretreive my engine manuals yesterday after work. I'll post what I end up doing to add to the knowledge base.

After thoroughly reviewing my engine manuals and parts book I have been unable to find any mention of anodes. I did discover a hand written note stating "Air Pro says no zincs in engine, none necessary". I also spent time climbing around in the engine room and did not see anything that looked like an anode for the heat exchanger. I am going to press forward with the assumption that this T6.3544 does not have pencil anodes in the engine unless I get hard evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for the responses, and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

My 1984 non turbo'd 6.354's do not have pencil zincs

After thoroughly reviewing my engine manuals and parts book I have been unable to find any mention of anodes.... I am going to press forward with the assumption that this T6.3544 does not have pencil anodes in the engine unless I get hard evidence to the contrary.

Same here. Asked an old-time diesel mechanic and he said a lot of those Perkins' didn't have them. Asked me some questions about my configuration and his conclusion was that mine probably didn't.

Mine were installed in 1982, if that helps.

I am going to press forward with the assumption that this T6.3544 does not have pencil anodes in the engine unless I get hard evidence to the contrary.
Thanks for the responses, and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

That is correct. As long as the engine is freshwater cooled, either heat exchanger or keel cooler, there is no reason to have an anode in the Antifreeze/freshwater cooled block.

There should be one pencil zinc in saltwater side of the heat exchanger and if equipped with a turbo cooler a pencil zinc as well. If you have an aftermarket combo oil cooler there will most likely be a pencil zinc there as well. My factory oil coolers did not have zinc's, but replacements do.

On a 6.354T I had in an old Mainship 34 the previous owner had inserted in the incoming saltwater hose a pencil zinc holder similar to one shown by Sendure in their current catalog. It has incorporated a lug for a grounding lead. The very expensive combined engine and tranny heat exchanger had no provision for a zinc because the manufacturer said it "didn't need one".

Zincs for Perkins 6.354

Our '81 Californian's Perkins engines are bonded to the main anode on the transom. Still seems like a good idea to have something sticking into the cooling water....
We are fresh water ops, so I am changing main zinc transom anode to magnesium, and adding mags to shafts, and tabs which have not been present before. I will be looking for pencil anode locations or potential locations next time at the boat (in winter storage now).
Knock wood, but no apparent metal loss in many years with the one big zinc in use.

Back
Top Bottom