I am impressed with this product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
After seeing this stuff on Ship Shape TV, I decided to order the kit, $70 and try it. On the hull, I have a black strip that is severely oxidized and no matter how much I scrub, it never really shined.

I ordered the Poli Glow and all I have to say is wow! Has anyone else tried this product? If the strip holds up this summer, I will apply it to the rest of the hull on the next haul out.:thumb:

Attachments

• 20160405_151522_resized.jpg
    20160405_151522_resized.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160405_151432_resized.jpg
    20160405_151432_resized.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 206
Used it for 6 years on a 1980 Hunter. Will make anything shine with about 6 easy to wipe on coats. Can rub off if wet fender rubs it a while; but, then reapply on that area. Needs two or so coats every year and after few years, remove and start again. Not sure I'd use it on a boat with a good finish to start with.

Used it for 6 years on a 1980 Hunter. Will make anything shine with about 6 easy to wipe on coats. Can rub off if wet fender rubs it a while; but, then reapply on that area. Needs two or so coats every year and after few years, remove and start again. Not sure I'd use it on a boat with a good finish to start with.

The reason I started with the strip. If it holds up then I will use it on the hull, but not the rest of the boat.

Zap floor polish is the favorite of the rv'rs. A lot cheaper and just as nice of a shine.

Ive use both. poly glow on a boat I had way back and zap on an rv. Both shine real nice, both have the risk of "pulling" the product because you let the applicator start to dry. Both are an acrylic.

My boat's flat white appearance has grown on me. Gloss is so highly over-rated. :hide:

I'm with you, Al. Once upon a time when I first bought her, I actually thought I would polish my boat...ha!

Life's too short, besides, I'm kinda fond of the patina now.

PoliGlo if you do a search on several boating forums, has a terrible reputation for eventually yellowing and "orange peeling" and being extremely hard to remove. I have seen this on someone elses' boat first hand. Looks good at first but....
Going after a slightly dull boat with Finesse-ItII and then something like Rejex is a much much better solution.

Is it Mop N Glo for boats?

Is it Mop N Glo for boats?

I tried Mop n Glo in the early 90s....

Looked great going on but after a few months...it started to look like skin peeling off after a sunburn.

I would be cautious of any covering that became a solid.....if it acts like paint, it can fail like paint (at least to point I am guessing).

Then again....if the tech for all these acrylics have improved greatly...they could be fine.

I am more in the buff and polish camp....and that not meeting expectations...bity the bullet and re-gel or paint.

Ship Shape TV is still airing? I haven't been able to find it for years and miss it.

It seems to have a lot more UV inhibitors in it then MopNGlow but the trick seems to renew the surface well before it fails and yellows or peels. Or so I have been lead to believe.

It seems to have a lot more UV inhibitors in it then MopNGlow but the trick seems to renew the surface well before it fails and yellows or peels. Or so I have been lead to believe.

Yup...When I bought my boat it had a Polyglow finish that had been neglected. I had patches of dull and shiny Gel...It was a bear to remove. I understand it is just like an acrylic floor wax (at a much higher price). Once you decide to do this you'r pretty much committed. I won't be putting this on again.. As Flywright said, Matte is growing on me....:)

I have used Poly Glow for years and have just switched to Zeb floor polish to try. seems to do the same job, no yellowing and nothing sticks. These are on my small boats that are under cover while not being used. I am hesitant on using on my larger boat that sleeps outside in a wet slip year round.

George and Steve right! Those polymers are junk unless you reapply annually. I liken it to air fresheners. It just masks the problem.

Our new-to-us 42' Navigator is COVERED in this crap (ours is Poli-Glo's close cousin - Nu-Glass) and it has, in a matter of months (in NC climate) peeled, degraded, and has made the entire boat look like it has psoriasis. On top of that, the "professional" that the PO took advice from, did a HORRIBLE job applying it. The stuff is all over the stainless and it looks like they just flap-slapped it on with a 6" paintbrush.

We have bought the remover, but it is going to be a long and arduous process of removal. It doesn't want to come off easily. Spray on remover, scrub, scrub, scrub with a blue scotchbrite pad (like on the back of a kitchen sponge)... rinse... repeat. It takes two or three passes to get it completely off.

If your gelcoat is getting dull and chalky, do yourself a favor and restore it properly. Light wetsanding (800-2000 grit), a GOOD rubbing compound like Presta, followed by a good polish. That is our big summer project. Slowly chipping away at this nightmare.

**HOWEVER** Maybe for just a small-ish, dull painted strip, it might be okay, but I have such a bad taste about it, I can hardly recommend it to anyone for any application.

I will try to post some pics of it tomorrow.

Last edited:
So for my test this next year is only on the hull black stripe. If I don't like it, then I will remove. But is sure does make the stripe shine.....Mop n Glow huh.....I remember that stuff.

We have bought the remover, but it is going to be a long and arduous process of removal. It doesn't want to come off easily. Spray on remover, scrub, scrub, scrub with a blue scotchbrite pad (like on the back of a kitchen sponge)... rinse... repeat. It takes two or three passes to get it completely off.

I feel your pain....My exact experience..

PoliGlo if you do a search on several boating forums, has a terrible reputation for eventually yellowing and "orange peeling" and being extremely hard to remove..............

That's what I have read as well. It would be great for fixing up a boat you are selling but I don't think I would use it on my boat based on the reviews.

Here are the pics I promised. This is about six months.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 190
Having steel as a backing material to heat off polymers is one thing, I am NOT going to try that with gelcoat and fiberglass!

I removed something similar from a car engine bay using mineral turpentine(different name in USA?), and a lot of rubbing.

Here are the pics I promised. This is about six months.

Ammonia and 3M white pad will remove that coating .

What I see is the shiny bits is where the fiberglass was clean and the product adhered to the surface other is where the coating went over wax and has fallen off .

Same as any application of any product 70% is preparation ;)

Ammonia and 3M white pad will remove that coating.
Gaston has one of the shiniest glowing boats I`ve seen in a long while, so worth considering. Is the ammonia exposure ok?

Buff n' shine and Buff n' shine - or - Roll n' tip and Roll n' tip - or - Enjoy the patina!

But... Don't make more hard future-work for yourself by simply using a basically up graded Mop n' Glow "coating".

Some boaters use their boats for boating.... some use them for show n' tell. Some use em for both. Then again some barely use them!

We all make our own call!!! :thumb:

Happy Boat-Ownership Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom