Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matt, you are fearless! I can see the beauty emerging. That helm station is a work of art. See how you've been missed?

Matt, best way to fix, once decided if the transom door is going to open inwards, (like mine in the pic), or outwards, is just to cut the door so the closing face to the transom proper is angled accordingly, so it comes up hard, and the lock then just secures it from accidental opening. Mine does not even need a lock actually, because it opens inwards, so a fall against it will never push it outwards.

Sorry, I have not had time to go through all your pics, so apologies if you are ahead of the play and not able to do what I just suggested so easily. However, it might be a modification that could be still achieved, if so..?

Ok, sorry, now I have had time to look, I see what RTF meant, you just have a cap rail there, not a whole door. I agree with the need to create some kind of wedge effect there however. You can see in my pick there used to also be a cap rail there, but it was more of a nuisance than anything, and not needed, so the PO did away with it. However, you can still see that it actually hinged on the outboard end, (out of sight above the rod holder, but settled into a kind of bronze clasp, that prevented sideways movement at the inboard end above the dinghy, while the bevelled shape, like yours, held it horizontal.
I don't suppose it is still possible to make a whole door and mount it like the one in the pic...?
Cheers,

Thanks for the help mate. Unfortunately the door setup I'm running is the hinged cap rail then the outward swinging door. It's too late to change. I will have to look at securing the mitre joint end of the rail. Perhaps some sort of pin or wedge like you have suggested or a lock to secure it. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Good on ya Paul! Guys like you and Matt... make the battery firm's "Energizer Bunny" pale in comparison! :thumb:

Cum to think of it... with all due respect... Wasn't that the insignia Hugh Heffner had tattooed as a "tramp stamp" on the small of his 13th wife's back? :rofl: :thumb: :whistling: :facepalm: :D

Lol

So glad to see ya back Matt! We really did miss ya Bud! Thanks for the link on the project, when I get a bit more wifi than currently I'll read up on ya. Were cruising and heading North, so I suspect it will only get worse.
Hang in there, and keep up the great work, your an inspiration to us all.

Hey mate. Great to hear from you again too!

Go enjoy and post pics of your travels. I need inspiration :)

Matt, you are fearless! I can see the beauty emerging. That helm station is a work of art. See how you've been missed?

Yeah you like it? I think it came up good. Still some tweaking to do on it and adding the CD player and VHF but that's pretty much how it's going to look.

Man I'm glad you're back .:D:

Matt's Back!
That's great and you're going to need a very big bucket for all the photo's you post and that's very very good. Love the pics but mostly you. You're the best "doer" I've ever spent time with. A friend in Alaska has a favorite saying "get-er-done" ... but you knew all about that when he was a young man ... and he's not now.
Glad you're back and glad you have time for TF. Speaking of pics .. interesting avatar.

Matt's Back!
That's great and you're going to need a very big bucket for all the photo's you post and that's very very good. Love the pics but mostly you. You're the best "doer" I've ever spent time with. A friend in Alaska has a favorite saying "get-er-done" ... but you knew all about that when he was a young man ... and he's not now.
Glad you're back and glad you have time for TF. Speaking of pics .. interesting avatar.

Naww thanks mate. Appreciate the vote of confidence and I'm glad to be speaking to you too :)

Yeh my avatar is a sexy Super Yacht atm while I decide on a more perm one.

RT,
Excellent question but too many variables to answer the question.
With our boat we bought her just before we decided to move to Alaska. She had an old engine and one bad fuel tank. The one good tank (50gal) would have been fine here in WA and so would the engine .. 4-107 Perkins. But in Alaska the new tanks and engine seemed a worthwile expendature. We repowered and retanked (and more) but now we're back in WA. So it turned out to be too much in the end but 4 years ago in Alaska it seemed very comfortable. So time and time's situations are a huge variable too. But a boat in WA, put a lot of money into it that's not too much and then move to Montana. Then it becomes too much.

Greeitngs,
Mr. mb. Ummmm...I think you've posted in the wrong thread. Maybe ask the mods to move your comment. I suspect you're looking for the "How much is too much thread" and NOT the "How to save a timber keel" thread...

Hey mate. Oh no that's not good news :-/ ... Any ideas on what the issues age is having?? Wow that's a nice looking marina mate. I'm jealous lol

Cheers Matt,

Re: the engine...42 year old Ford Lehman asking for some TLC and deferred maintenance, injectors tuned up, raw water pump upgraded, new motor mounts, etc. And it's the etc I'm worrying about right now...$$.

:blush:

MATT, Great to see you still plugging along. I have missed your updates here on TF. Progress is impressive. Your are so close you should be able to smell the salt! and taste the fresh fish! You already have the beer! CHEERS.
David

Matt,

One of your fellow countrymen from Perth was looking for you back on March 28. Look for the string, "TF members from Perth, Western Australia".

I told him to look for you on Facebook...he asked, "what's Facebook?". I didn't know what to say. His name is Brett. Sea ya'!

P.S. Glad you're back!

Ok Matt, you asked for living vicariously. First pic is looking south from the cockpit during breakfast, which I've just finished. I'm at Blakesleys, North Stradbroke Island. Nothing like being out when its below 10 kn of wind for a few days.

Second pic is from where the cat is in pic 1, but looking west. Also a few days of no wind, over Easter. It really is good to be on the water, so set a date and go for it!

Attachments

• Blakesleys_S sml.jpg
    Blakesleys_S sml.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Rainbow1 sml.jpg
    Rainbow1 sml.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
Cheers Matt,

Re: the engine...42 year old Ford Lehman asking for some TLC and deferred maintenance, injectors tuned up, raw water pump upgraded, new motor mounts, etc. And it's the etc I'm worrying about right now...$$.

:blush:

Ah ok. She's getting a birthday! Raw water pump upgrade? Are you going for a bigger one or changing to an electric one or just doing the impeller? Are you having cooling issues?

I remember rebuilding my engine fondly. I quite enjoyed it tho at the time when I was rebuilding the gearbox I was not quite so excited lol

Yeah I hate the "etc" parts too. Hopefully it works out for you mate.

MATT, Great to see you still plugging along. I have missed your updates here on TF. Progress is impressive. Your are so close you should be able to smell the salt! and taste the fresh fish! You already have the beer! CHEERS.
David

TB ...! Hello old mate. Yeah I'm still bashing away mate. I've missed the support and messages from everyone so it's nice to be welcomed back.

Yeah plenty of beer at the boat ATM however it's moving in to winter over here so I might have to swap the beers out for something more warming like rum or scotch :)

I've been out fishing and actually head off for a two week holiday shortly. One week of that will be a live aboard fishing trip at the Abrolhos Islands. Can't wait!!

Matt,

One of your fellow countrymen from Perth was looking for you back on March 28. Look for the string, "TF members from Perth, Western Australia".

I told him to look for you on Facebook...he asked, "what's Facebook?". I didn't know what to say. His name is Brett. Sea ya'!

P.S. Glad you're back!

Hey mate.
Lol thanks for the heads up. I had a quick search but can't see the thread so I'll wait till I'm on the Computer to do a search and see if it comes up.

Ok Matt, you asked for living vicariously. First pic is looking south from the cockpit during breakfast, which I've just finished. I'm at Blakesleys, North Stradbroke Island. Nothing like being out when its below 10 kn of wind for a few days.

Second pic is from where the cat is in pic 1, but looking west. Also a few days of no wind, over Easter. It really is good to be on the water, so set a date and go for it!

Oh nice mate! I remember taking my boat to South Stradbroke Island and drinking at tipplers. I loved straddy.

My old stomping ground was around the jumpinpin area and right down the Broadwater to southport etc.

You're up at the Moreton Bay way yeah?

Welcome back! Looking forward to updates.

Me too! Welcome back! Need some relief from the "hot or cold oil changes?" and the latest anchor stuff! I missed you, all is forgiven, write soon and send money!

Sure good to see you back here, Matt. I was sincerely missing the rest of the story!

Oh nice mate! I remember taking my boat to South Stradbroke Island and drinking at tipplers. I loved straddy.

My old stomping ground was around the jumpinpin area and right down the Broadwater to southport etc.

You're up at the Moreton Bay way yeah?

Ah, then you will know where I am now, and for the night - Tiger Mullet Channel!

Home is Dockside Marina, Kangaroo Point. So I don't get down this far south that much.

Ah, then you will know where I am now, and for the night - Tiger Mullet Channel!

Home is Dockside Marina, Kangaroo Point. So I don't get down this far south that much.

Nice mate! That would be a nice little steam down from brissy.

Will have to shoot you a PM when we go to Brisbane to visit my folks and Flic and I will pop in and say gday. Told her I'd take her on the kookaburra Queen river cruise for dinner when we go

Nice mate! That would be a nice little steam down from brissy.

Will have to shoot you a PM when we go to Brisbane to visit my folks and Flic and I will pop in and say gday. Told her I'd take her on the kookaburra Queen river cruise for dinner when we go

Yes, contact me when you come over.

I too, took a sabbatical from TF. I enjoyed following you on FB. Either way, keep up the photo feed.

Cheers,

Mike

:) thanks mate. Welcome back

:thumb:Howdy mate! Good to have you back. Last time I checked this thread you were still building. where are the pix you said were here somewhere I would like to see what she looks like. Going fishing for a couple of weeks, I'm jealous. will you be targeting any special species?
we had a boat the first of the week a commercial 62 footer cross the bar then enter the dead calm flat seas of Charleston Oregon turn over and sink in a heartbeat in 35 feet of water. The two crew members washed up on a beach above Reedsport Oregon and the divers trying to refloat the vessel found the captain still in the boat. That's number three this year so far for Coos bay and Charleston. Your lucky your waters are soo calm and safe:).....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom