Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
September 2012 - September 2015

Thank You!!!

Just started the 17th month on my refit project. I'm only about 10 months behind schedule. Thanks for the perspective and reality check. Back at it on Monday.

Ted

Now that's a major improvement! Thanks for posting!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hi all,
How is everyone :socool: Hope y'all well. So i was talking to a couple of mates and with their help decided to start posting here again. :thumb:

There's a bit to catch up on over the last 7 months so ive created an album for ya'll to see and will be open to any questions pertaining to the build.

Suffice to say progress didn't stop when my posting did.

There's been a couple of changes and i'll start with her name. She is now called "SOLSTICE"... long story but Flic and i sponsored an Orca called Solstice as part of a project protecting Orcas from being put into captivity. We figured we'd name the boat after him for a number of reasons :thumb:

So basically the hull below the rub rail has been faired from bow to stern and then a couple of barrier coats of epoxy resin has been applied to seal it all off.

Im in the process now of moving up a level and begining the same process from stern to bow from the rub rail to the roof frieze.

On the electrics front, the dash is now completed and i purchased a Lowrance 1Kw bronze thru-hull transducer (which im yet to fit)

by doing work on a mates charter boat i swapped my labour and picked up a cummins/onan GenSet that i may/may not rebuild and fit into SOLSTICE. Engine is fine but the charger bit needs to be rebaked(?) ... havent looked into it yet but it does run and charge so we'll see. I havent allowed for it so i will need to modify the floor to fit it etc etc etc but i'll do the math first. Might just clean it up and sell it yet.

As for the rest of the build its going good. Still don't have a timeline of when it will be finished but i'm getting there.

Ok well as usual it good to get feedback and if you see something that im doing wrong please let me know :thumb:

Here is a link to my library (241 pics) to get you all up to speed ... Matt Henderson's Library | Photobucket

Last edited:
Hey mate so glad you are back! You actually inspired the transformation of our boat! Please take a look.

Cheers,
Bob

Yo Bro!!!! Felt you'd return. :D

Second half of show should be kick ass!! :eek: :socool:

Get it on... Matt me Mate! :thumb:

Happy SOLSTICE Daze! - Your friend, Art :speed boat:

From this

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460087724.761997.jpg

To this

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460087810.650309.jpg

And eventually to this

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460087850.990475.jpg

We could never find the boat that suited us so we are building/modifying ours.

Solstice is a great name by the way! ????

Solstice is a great name by the way! ????

Thanks mate. I like it too. I was watching JAWS a little while ago and saw some similarities. They are on a timber boat, ours is a timber boat, their boat is named 'ORCA' mine is named after an orca ... Let's hope the similarities stop there and no big arse shark tries to eat our boat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Welcome back Matt. Hope you get to splash Solstice on schedule, whenever that is!

Matt, glad your back man. I've been working on the Rose full time the last 4 months. Like Bob said, your determination kinda kept me going when I didn't have a dime to pay a bill much less pay slip rent and work on a boat. Things are going good and I hope to be crusing this summer. Paul

Greetings,
Mr. H. There's only ONE thing I might suggest you alter. The hinged cap rail on the transom door is going to be potentially subjected to a lot of lateral torque when in the closed position. I expect you will have some sort of hasp or clasp to secure it when in the closed position BUT if you forget to secure the free end and one of your rotund mates leans/falls against it, it will surely rip out the hinges.

IF you could incorporate some sort of mortise/tenon joint on the free end that might eliminate that possibility. Some sort of puzzle joint. Kinda hard to explain...

2-puzzle-piece-tackboard.jpg

Thank you for coming back! I've been following up on your project on another site after you left and have really enjoyed your project and your determination. I think most of us wish we had the skill sets you've shown. Best of luck moving forward!

Welcome back and thanks for sharing. Our boat, The Promise is with a mechanic now having some engine issues sorted. In a few weeks we relocate her from Seattle to here:

http://porthadlockmarina.com

Hey mate. Oh no that's not good news :-/ ... Any ideas on what the issues age is having?? Wow that's a nice looking marina mate. I'm jealous lol

Matt, glad your back man. I've been working on the Rose full time the last 4 months. Like Bob said, your determination kinda kept me going when I didn't have a dime to pay a bill much less pay slip rent and work on a boat. Things are going good and I hope to be crusing this summer. Paul

Hey brother! Good to hear from you again mate :)

Great to hear ROSE is getting heaps of love.

Would love to see some pics mate.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that ROSE is "flowering" for summer mate, actually y'all better be on the water, I'm living vicariously through everyone on here that has a floating vessel..! :)

Greetings,
Mr. H. There's only ONE thing I might suggest you alter. The hinged cap rail on the transom door is going to be potentially subjected to a lot of lateral torque when in the closed position. I expect you will have some sort of hasp or clasp to secure it when in the closed position BUT if you forget to secure the free end and one of your rotund mates leans/falls against it, it will surely rip out the hinges.

IF you could incorporate some sort of mortise/tenon joint on the free end that might eliminate that possibility. Some sort of puzzle joint. Kinda hard to explain...

2-puzzle-piece-tackboard.jpg

Haha "rotund" Lol ... Yeh good spotting mate. Totally agree. I will look into something.

I was putting my faith in the hinge.

Thanks for bring it up bud.

Thanks mate. I like it too. I was watching JAWS a little while ago and saw some similarities. They are on a timber boat, ours is a timber boat, their boat is named 'ORCA' mine is named after an orca ... Let's hope the similarities stop there and no big arse shark tries to eat our boat lol

Welcome back Matt. And yes, hey careful re that Jaws thing. Don't go shark hunting in it. Remember they decided "they needed a bigger boat..!" I'm sure you don't want to start building another bigger one.

PS. Jaws ruined me for sea bathing... :D

Haha "rotund" Lol ... Yeh good spotting mate. Totally agree. I will look into something.

I was putting my faith in the hinge.

Thanks for bring it up bud.

Matt, best way to fix, once decided if the transom door is going to open inwards, (like mine in the pic), or outwards, is just to cut the door so the closing face to the transom proper is angled accordingly, so it comes up hard, and the lock then just secures it from accidental opening. Mine does not even need a lock actually, because it opens inwards, so a fall against it will never push it outwards.

Sorry, I have not had time to go through all your pics, so apologies if you are ahead of the play and not able to do what I just suggested so easily. However, it might be a modification that could be still achieved, if so..?

Ok, sorry, now I have had time to look, I see what RTF meant, you just have a cap rail there, not a whole door. I agree with the need to create some kind of wedge effect there however. You can see in my pick there used to also be a cap rail there, but it was more of a nuisance than anything, and not needed, so the PO did away with it. However, you can still see that it actually hinged on the outboard end, (out of sight above the rod holder, but settled into a kind of bronze clasp, that prevented sideways movement at the inboard end above the dinghy, while the bevelled shape, like yours, held it horizontal.
I don't suppose it is still possible to make a whole door and mount it like the one in the pic...?
Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Good on ya Paul! Guys like you and Matt... make the battery firm's "Energizer Bunny" pale in comparison! :thumb:

Cum to think of it... with all due respect... Wasn't that the insignia Hugh Heffner had tattooed as a "tramp stamp" on the small of his 13th wife's back? :rofl: :thumb: :whistling: :facepalm: :D

So glad to see ya back Matt! We really did miss ya Bud! Thanks for the link on the project, when I get a bit more wifi than currently I'll read up on ya. Were cruising and heading North, so I suspect it will only get worse.
Hang in there, and keep up the great work, your an inspiration to us all.

Back
Top Bottom