Old 04-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #10
Insequent
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
BTW, there is a permit that you can get that lets you stay in Washington for something like a full year after purchase of a boat. But then you have to get out of Dodge and not return for at least 2 years. I didn't do this myself so am sketchy on the exact details, so please research it yourself if interested. But several friends have done it.

snip.....
I did the one year thing. You only have the option of doing it at the time of purchase. If you want to do it, make sure your broker & settlement agent are aware, and they can complete the application at the same time as the money is handed over. Its not something you can do even one day after purchase. It is not extendable, and you do have to get out within the 1 year period and stay out for 2 years.

Other options exist for being in WA longer than 45 days, such as having repairs done. That permit is easily obtained in the local town and extends the 45 days by the repair duration, although you cannot apply for it if you have already taken the one year permit route at purchase. Alternatively go to Canada for a short period, theoretically one day will suffice, and then enter WA with the 3 month permit. Repairs can extend that one too.