Perkins-6.3544 Oil Sump Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WD40

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Otter
Vessel Make
1985 President Sundeck 41
Perkins-6.3544 Oil Sump Pump-Leaking

Well, the good news is I found the oil leak.
And, the bad news is I found the oil leak.

Is the oil sump pump rebuildable or replaceable?
The pic is of the starboard engine which is working just fine.
The port one is leaking rather badly, but only at certain times.
I clamped a hose onto it and plumbed it into an empty gallon jug, but I'd rather fix it properly.

We actually lost almost 4 quarts in a short period of time last week.
It ran for 2 days (3-4 hours each) with nothing leaking, but on the third day we saw a drop in oil pressure, and that's when I found my catch can full of oil.
I'm thinking it "spewed" when I took a sharp turn to the starboard without slowing down.
My guess is as the oil sloshed to the port side of the pan it evacuated out the pump.
A short time after the turn we saw the oil pressure drop to drastically low levels.
Had to shut er down promptly and pull into an anchorage area and put 4 more quarts back into the engine.
Never leaked a drop again after that.

At any rate, here's the pump.
Any suggestions?
Frankly, I'm thinking of pulling it out and putting a plug in it's place and not worrying about it anymore.

Attachments

• Sump-Pump.jpg
    Sump-Pump.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Where on the pump is it leaking from?
Pull it off and take a close look if necessary.

It's coming out the end of the tube where you'd drain the oil from, right where the plastic bag is.
I'm surprised, but the pump handle itself doesn't lock down or anything.:huh:

I cant see how any hard turn can push oil from deep in the sump up 90 degs in the drain suction tube this tube sits on the very bottom of the deepest part of the sump.

And you say your catch can is full ???:eek: Is this a turbo motor? if so the oil seals could be damaged and oil is been pushed to where its not meant to go.

The only way I can see oil coming from that goose neck while the engine is running would be if the sump is been pressurised (turbo oil seals ?) and oil is been forced up the pump . First easy check is that crankcase breather isn't blocked.

And you say your catch can is full ???:eek: Is this a turbo motor?
Naturally aspirated. And yes I'm shocked as well...that's a lot of oil in a short period of time.
First easy check is that crankcase breather isn't blocked.
Checked and appears to be operating properly.

We ran for another hour and a half after the first "purge" if you will, and the catch can was dry as a bone.

The ZipLoc bag in the picture has been on there (starboard engine) since day one and it's barely got a couple drops in it.

Last edited:
Does the T handle move at all while underway? Making it actually pump?
I'd tie it down and see if it stops.
Or remove the oil fill cap and see if it stops.

my on engine pump doesn't have any lock on it and typical of those pumps...oil is easily pushed up through them.

could crankcase pressure be doing it? kinda weird as on my Leman it would be coming out the dipstick and lower breather.

Does the T handle move at all while underway? Making it actually pump?
I'd tie it down and see if it stops.
Or remove the oil fill cap and see if it stops.
I clock the T handles in a N/S-12/6 position and I haven't noticed them being rotated from that after we get back.
Wouldn't removing the oil cap cause oil to splash out of the valve cover?
I see what you're getting at (crankcase pressure), but I'm tired of cleaning up the oil mess.
could crankcase pressure be doing it? kinda weird as on my Leman it would be coming out the dipstick and lower breather.
I don't see any other appreciable oil leaks/drips/seepage, only what's coming from the end of the port engine sump pump.

That's where I was going with my thoughts. Wondering if pressure pushes the pump UP to a certain point , then gravity makes it fall again, and a little oil comes thru.
Then the cycle repeats. Just a SWAG

Taking the oil fill cap off would relieve the internal pressure. Or you could rig a vent there somehow, I don't have that engine so I can't be specific.

I know when I had a Dodge Cummins truck that I hot-rodded, when I ran it heavy (it would boost over 30 psi) oil would come out thru the dipstick tube (which went to the top of the engine)...the vent was not enough to relieve the pressure.

Clamp a short length of rubber hose over the end and loop it back up and through the engine lift eye on the front of the engine. Stops the leak and when its time to change the oil, just drop the end down into a jug ready to pump.

^^^That's kind of what I did with the catch can/gallon container.
However, I sloped the hose down to the back of the engine where I had a convenient place to position the catch can in the under-engine tray.
I wonder if it created suction and basically siphoned the oil out once it started to leak?

I still can't figure out why it's fine for the most part, and then all of sudden spews all over the place.

Is there a problem with plugging the hose altogether until I can figure out why it's leaking out that sump?

If anyone's curious, we run between 60-80 psi (both engines) at cruising speed (1,700-2,000 rpm).

Plug it...no harm....then see if it spews anyplace else.

WD40;431005I wonder if it created suction and basically siphoned the oil out once it started to leak? ).[/QUOTE said:
Sounds like a possibility.
As suggested try plugging and see if it comes out the dipstick tube

Thanks so far for all the comments.

I did find this related thread, and he had the same issue.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/some-issues-came-up-6269.html
See #6.
However, I don't see any other explanation of a "fix" other than plugging the tube with a rag.

I've looked online at a couple Perkins parts places, but haven't found a part number for a rebuild kit, nor even a new part altogether.
Maybe I'm just worrying too much, and a plug will work just fine?

Last edited:
a simple hardware store rubber cork around 1/4 to 3/8" should work.

Back
Top Bottom