The start of a nice project (clipper 30ft)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Erik,
Lookin good.
Hope the engine room is completed for you soon enough.
Our cyclonic / moist conditions arn't good for being on the hard are they, everything seems to take twice as long.
Looks like good progress.
Hope to progress on mine soon.
Off to Tin Can tomorrow to have a look at boat after 7 weeks away.
Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 04:18:50 AM

Erik, your engine looks good. Mine is in the process of having new heat exchanger, and both oil coolers, and the exhaust injection knuckle replaced. The paint on the top parts is looking flaked and patchy - thought I might degrease her and re-spray. What did you use and from where - the paint that is? Is she in, or been thru Bruce Forsythe's paint shed yet?

Looks Shipshape shipshape,
Looks like I see PolyFlex engine mounts. We have same and like. Are you going to do the belt trick that Marin and others do?

Peter,She is in the shed now ..... just next to Bruce ... at mainstream .... Bruce is working in there ... we will be moving in Bruce's shed when we're ready to paint.

Should we change the heat exchanger? * It still seems to do the job .... we will be linking the hot water to it ..... is a heat exchanger expensive ? *and is it not easy to replace when in the water?I will talk to the mechanic today .....

Hi Carl and others,Talked to the mechanic .... and they have replaced the heat exchanger, oil cooler and gearbox cooler in 2008 ..... so this should all be good .....
The engine and gearbox also had a major rebuild in 2004 ... so this is still as new isn't it?
refitting the engine ... probably end of next week .... will be fun ... and I will happy when it's back in .... we are now building the supports for the tanks, batteries and fibreglassing it ....

Just wondering guys,is there a MK 1,34' aft cabin Clipper named 'Amadeus' on your marina. It is my old boat which I sold about 4 years ago and I believe it now resides up there.

Getting there ... another week I guess for the bilge ... then the outside .....

Attachments

• dsc01857.jpg
    dsc01857.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 163
  • dsc01948.jpg
    dsc01948.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 157
  • dsc01949.jpg
    dsc01949.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 144
  • dsc01950.jpg
    dsc01950.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 156
Erik,

What a night and day difference in the pictures. *Thanks for the continuing posts; helps to get me motivated to do a little cleaning down below myself.

Beautiful job thus far!

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

Erik,
Lookin good.
Nice work, hope mine comes up 1/2 as good before the Gardner goes in.
Benn

Erik,
I am envious! Wouldn't I love to remove everything and start back after all was painted like you are doing!
One trick I learned from a Paint and Body fellow that we use on reconditioned forklifts is to use aluminum foil to cover chains , hoses, etc. to avoid overspray. This might work for you in some areas.

Hi Carl,
Decided on FlowCoat ..... it's described by Peter earlier in the thread. It's applied with a small little roller ... and the corners with a brush. It's actually a light grey ..... very close to white.We decided on abbertanks ..... a local manufacturer of polypropylene tanks.
not sure if we make the right decisions .... but you know you have to make decisions somewhere along the road ... and if it's wrong ... then I learned the hard way ... and replace afterwards...*
biggrin.gif

The supports of the engine are in steel and showing a little bit of surface rust, should we replace them with stainless, or paint them maybe with epoxy paint?.
Yep the bilge will look great ... the sad thing is that when you close the hatches nobody will see it .... someone suggested to replace one timber floor hatch with a glass see thru one ... hey what a great idea*
evileye.gif

Erik,
With the engine supports , probably 2 ways to go.
1 Clean them up and a coat of rust preswerver (phosphoric acid based) and then prime and paint, may be epoxy but not really necessary
2 send them out and have them galvanised, quick and easy and last a long time.

Benn

shipshape wrote:"Yep the bilge will look great ... the sad thing is that when you close the hatches nobody will see it .... someone suggested to replace one timber floor hatch with a glass see thru one ... hey what a great idea"
evileye.gif
Erik, that last statement of yours was what I use to justify not going to all the trouble you have gone to and are going through with your bilge.* However, I must say if I had to have the ER totally gutted like you, I'd be tempted to do exactly what you are doing.* Hopefully it won't come to that, as I've spent enough on her for now, with another $4k coming up for heat exchanger and oil-cooler repacement.* Best of luck with all that.* I'd love to have a look over her when you feel she is ready, and vice versa with Lotus.* We are at the same marina, so shouldn't be too hard.

Ok. This is a real problem. We really need to BAN people from post pictures like this. These super clean engines and super clean engine rooms are simply NOT fair!

Seriously...I have engine room envy right now. I fear I will be doing the same thing to our boat in another winter or two. Last night I was down there scrubbing away at the bilge with degreaser trying to get her a little cleaner. It's an uphill battle though- so much stuff in the way everywhere I go!

Actually, part of that engine room really looks a lot like mine and really reminds me of my engine room. *Here are some arrows explaining what I mean.....I am not sure though if overall our engine rooms are similar enough for me to be able to accurately state that "my engine room looks just like that." *I think the % of area that is similar is disproportionate too much to allow me to make that claim.

Attachments

• dsc01950.jpg
    dsc01950.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 152
banned.gif
I'll be working on the arrows part today ..... so not to disappoint you anymore ....Sorry to have done this to all of you ..... but it all started with a small leak in the diesel tank ....
but if I can explain I have not much else todo ....
bored.gif

photo of what my wife is doing with the timber railings .....

-- Edited by shipshape on Monday 7th of February 2011 12:01:35 AM

Attachments

• dsc01892.jpg
    dsc01892.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 145
Peter,Re the paint of the engine,
its done in*Linear Poly-Urethane awlgrip

Erik,
I take it that the Awlgrip is high temp rated.
Wouldn't want to see it peel of when the engines are running.
Benn

Thanks Erik, and good luck with all that. I really like what your wife is doing with those rails, but please stop putting any more of those sort of teak rail/engine room type pics up....it's too cruel........

Just kidding.......

Getting there ... started sanding the aft deck ... , they filled up the cracks and black chalk with putty , then *painted it white first, then painted it brown ... if I ever meet the guy who decided to paint the nice teak deck ....
angered.gif

Attachments

• dsc01988.jpg
    dsc01988.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 135
Tony,
Don't worry. Boats are supposed to have oily bilges. The only boat I know of that has a chance it the 25' Albin. That boat has relatively sound proof engine compartment that is like a suitcase the size of the engine. There is a hole about the size of ones fist to let the air in for engine combustion and that hole leads through a rectangular FG tube along the hull bottom and up to a propper vent on the after deck. There are other small holes for hoses and control cables ect. The eng compartment's upper part (75%) is hinged and lifts up like a car hood for excellent access for engine maint. The seam has a grove on both halves w a rubber seal. The lower part of the engine compartment collects ALL things that drip off or fall off the engine. Every now and then one just wipes out the gel coated bottom of the engine compartment to keep things very tidy. That's the way they build Swedish boats***** .......at least the one I had.

Ok guys .... some more photos of the work in progress ..... cause you guys need motivation*
biggrin.gif
....Still in the bilge, the new skin fittings are in, the corner with the hoses in the process of being cleaned up, the electricity cables been cleaned up, the tanks are in place, the plumbing almost finished, the hot water system in, ready to connect, the exhaust goes in on Monday, cause we putting the engine back in on Tuesday ..... painted the steel brackets for the engine supports, now a final cleanup on Monday ....it will be a lot of praying that they don't damage anything with the crane .... and we decided to change the anchorwinch setup at the front as well ... don't know if it was a good idea ....

-- Edited by shipshape on Friday 18th of February 2011 03:51:58 AM

Attachments

• img_0169.jpg
    img_0169.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 152
  • img_0168.jpg
    img_0168.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 152
  • img_0163.jpg
    img_0163.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 167
  • img_0162.jpg
    img_0162.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 157
  • img_0160.jpg
    img_0160.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 160
  • img_0161.jpg
    img_0161.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 145
I, for one, find this engine room disgusting! *

bleh.gif
cry.gif

crying.gif

(ok, I am really jealous of your engine room!!)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 18th of February 2011 07:50:35 AM

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 18th of February 2011 08:11:32 AM

OK guys ... I can help you ... you pay my travel and all accomodation and expenses and I'll come and do yours ...

shipshape wrote:

OK guys ... I can help you ... you pay my travel and all accomodation and expenses and I'll come and do yours ...
Ok. *As I read your proposal, that means I pay for your airplane ticket here, food and lodging while here, and you'll redo my tanks and all engine room work and make her look all pretty like you did yours. *I'd almost go for that, ASSUMING you will live on plain oatmeal and white rice and water for the duration of your stay and if you are small enough to fit into a UPS shipping box! *:)

Tony, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Ok ... let's come to an agreement ... first of all I am a Belgian living in Australia .... so I love my Belgian Beer, and the french wines ... a good cab sav ... MMMMMmmm, food ??? lets replace the oatmeal by a good steak on the BBQ ....So airfare (Business) free accommodation (not fussy, just a double bed, because my right hand is coming with me , she does a fantastic job on the timber, food and drinks paid for the duration of the project ... and of course all tools and materials and extra labour if required paid for by the host ... the good news is that my right hand doesn't drink ... What do you think?????
handshake.gif

Engine install .....

Crane arriving
Slowly moving towards the boat
Getting aligned
Looks like it fits
It's in the boat
Closer ....
Lower it now
Last checks
Get out of there ... you're too big
IT"S IN ... I am out of here having a beer ......

Attachments

• dsc02021.jpg
    dsc02021.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 153
  • dsc02029.jpg
    dsc02029.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 156
  • dsc02033.jpg
    dsc02033.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 139
  • dsc02036.jpg
    dsc02036.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 135
  • dsc02038.jpg
    dsc02038.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 146
  • dsc02042.jpg
    dsc02042.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 143
  • dsc02045.jpg
    dsc02045.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 136
  • dsc02051.jpg
    dsc02051.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 148
  • dsc02052.jpg
    dsc02052.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 153
  • dsc02056.jpg
    dsc02056.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 157
Well done Eric, (and helpers). Having looked over Shipshape last weekend, when we had a mutual, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours", exercise, I can vouch for the fact he and wife Bridget (hope spelling ok), have done a huge amount to get 'Shipshape' shipshape. Sure, there's still a bit to do, but they'll be out there before too long, and it will all have been worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom