Oil analysis kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Who do yall use for oil analysis?

Is there a kit or something? Want to test oil from main and gen.

Blackstone +1

If there is a local big diesel repair or new construction equipment dealer place near your town (San Antonio or Houston surely has several) call them. I do it at my local CAT place (Gregory Poole) for about $10. They do it onsite. No buying kits... no mailing off... They turn it in a day.

Last edited:
If there is a local big diesel repair or new construction equipment dealer place near your town call them. I do it at my local CAT place (Gregory Poole) for about $10. No buying kits... no mailing off... They turn it in a day.

Hmmmm. I have no idea. We do have a CAT dealer here.

A one time deal wont really tell you much, unless its a big problem. trends over time are the fortey of oil analysis, they help prevent problems before they get to big or leave you stranded.

Where do western Canadians get theirs done?

A one time deal wont really tell you much, unless its a big problem. trends over time are the fortey of oil analysis, they help prevent problems before they get to big or leave you stranded.

Yeah. Trying to start a trend. Get a baseline.

If you plan on cruising...may consider a mail order place anyway....

Blackstone sells kits of 6 sample bottles and mailer packages..easy peezy...if too much money, they tell you on their site what to use and how to sample and mail anyway.

Best to stick with one lab for a trend analysis and even though the Post Office occasionally gives me a hard time....Blackstone gives you a letter saying the PO should take your sample, blah, blah...It has always worked.

On my 8th sample over 3 years and never a lost one yet (good insurance is to keep a separate sample in a squeaky clean jar for the week or two till your results are posted to your email.)

In some ways if your local postal guy gets it (mentally that your sample is OK to mail)...even easier than driving to the CAT place.

Last edited:
I get mine done at Finning, the local Caterpillar Euipment dealer. $25 CDN For best results tell them the brand and viscosity of the oil as well as operating hours.

Blackstone +3. :thumb::D

Been using them for years. Actually hate to think how many years. :whistling::)

I just checked to see if they are now charging for kits since I need to get some sample kits to replace the ones they sent me many years ago. Blackstone still does not charge for the sample kits. I have never paid for one and they have sent be a couple boxes with six or so kits each. Took years to use up those kits that I double ordered by mistake. :banghead:

They said,
Oil collecting kits are free
Sample cost is $28.00 per analysis.

Attention! While the kit is free, the oil analysis costs $28.00.
Many labs will charge you for the kit when you order it.
We let you keep your money until you send in your oil for analysis.
I do check their website to figure out how many stamps I need to mail the kit to them. I drop the sample off at the post office, either inside with the clerk or in the drop off box. Thankfully, I have never had a problem mailing the sample but I have heard others having a problem with the post office. As was posted here, Blackstone has a letter to give the post office if there is a problem mailing the sample.

I would pay extra and get the TBN tested as well as the basic tests.

Later,
Dan

100% Blackstone. I have used them for the past few years and I am very happy with their service. Check out their web link.

Thanks. Ordered the Blackstone kit. X2.

FYI. Package your samples in one of the USPS set rate boxes, then the person behind the postal counter won't freak out when you mail it. Perfectly legal to ship, but sometimes the person behind the counter doesn't know the rules. When asked if you have any forbidden stuff you simply say "no."

FYI. Package your samples in one of the USPS set rate boxes, then the person behind the postal counter won't freak out when you mail it. Perfectly legal to ship, but sometimes the person behind the counter doesn't know the rules. When asked if you have any forbidden stuff you simply say "no."

You say "no" because it is right on their poster that describes shipping oil....and what is OK.

The Blackstone Samples I bought have prepaid postage and I'm not going to spend another $5 shipping it because the Post Office doesn't know their own rules inside and out...the letter Blackstone provides has always worked...just for got it the last time. I just stayed at the window till one of the brighter employees looked it up on their poster and said it was OK.

But you have a point...in the future I may not buy the pre-paid bottles and use the Postal Service boxes. But it is all legal based on their regs to say "no hazardous" contents. The nice thing about the Blackstone sample bottles is they include an absorbent pad, zip lock bag, sample note with data blanks and leakproof container. Yes it's probably cheaper to assemble yourself...but I saw it as a bargain when discussing with the post office that millions of these get mailed every year...not my homemade pickle jar.... :D

Hell I didn't know they had pre-paid postage. Yeah it may cost a little more to send it in a box but it may mean less time wasted. I also sent in the results from when I bought the boat and made that the baseline for me. Just another preventive maintenance thing for me.

Thanks everybody, Didn,t start the thread but just ordered kit from Blackstone.

I just got a couple of kits from local John Deere dealer today. A$50 per kit including postage. You guys in the US get a much better deal.....

I just got a couple of kits from local John Deere dealer today. A$50 per kit including postage. You guys in the US get a much better deal.....

I wonder if you could still use them? Send them an email.....

I wonder if you could still use them? Send them an email.....

Still use the US labs you mean? I think postage would be the killer......

Now that I have the name and address of the local lab that JD use, which is only 30 minutes drive away, I might contact them directly for kits/bottles next time around.

Mailed out 2 Blackstone samples yesterday in just the black cube container kits for about $3 each. Each sample kit has a ziplock type bag and a oil absorbent pad in addition to the sample bottle itself and the shipping bottle. That's 3 leak barriers plus the absorbent pad. The mail clerk added a small piece of shipping tape to the lids. I was thinking about the Priority box but the smallest one to fit both was $14.

Murray,
I too get mine done by Finning Caterpillar. You should be able to get kits from any decent diesel or truck repair shop close to home. The .last few kits I purchased were from my local diesel repair shop and they were the Cat SOS.

Finning, for your info HAD a lab in Surrey, BC. It will be closed soon and all samples will go to the Edmonton, Alta. lab.

Shouldn't make any difference. FIll in your e-mail and the report will come quickly. I print a copy for the boat, for the house and save to my computer going back about 25 yrs for the engine and 6 yrs for the gear.

Here is an update for my above samples sent to the lab via USPS First Class mail with tracking:
My generator sample was mailed out from SW Florida April 8th and it arrived in Fort Wayne Indiana on April 21st. 13 calendar days.
My main engine sample was mailed out with the generator sample. It made a small detour to SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico!!! Today it has finally reached the Ft. Wayne, IN post office. Not delivered yet 19 days later. I'll be amazed if it survived without being crushed that long.
The lab turned the sample around within a day of arrival. Next time I ship it will be via UPS, or FedEx.

Last edited:
Were they packaged in a box? I always put my samples in a pre-paid Priority mail box and it takes 2 days. WOW talk about slow boat to China.....

I just drop mine in the mail in the container and have not had a problem...

However, my parents live in FLA and getting mail to/from them is problematic. Letters have taken weeks to get to them instead of a couple of days. This sometimes happens when we are sent something as well. Just no rhyme or reason. Sending priority mail has not helped either. Packages that were sent to us to be here overnight have taken 2-3 days. :nonono:

Packages now are sent FedEx or UPS.

Later,
Dan

I just drop mine in the mail in the container and have not had a problem...

However, my parents live in FLA and getting mail to/from them is problematic. Letters have taken weeks to get to them instead of a couple of days. This sometimes happens when we are sent something as well. Just no rhyme or reason. Sending priority mail has not helped either. Packages that were sent to us to be here overnight have taken 2-3 days. :nonono:

Packages now are sent FedEx or UPS.

Later,
Dan

Try 2-day priority mail next time. Cheaper than FedEx and UPS. Good luck.

X2 on Priority Mail flat rate boxes. I typically sent five samples at a time (2 main engine, 2 transmission, 1 generator). Got to Cleveland from eastern NC, GA, MA or FL in 2 days average, 3 at the most. We had all our mail forwarded via a batched big envelop/ boxed if needed Priority from Livingston, TX to various east coast spots, and again, 2 or 3 day delivery. Plus you can kind of track it.

Used to get zincs that way too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom