New anchor buying decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eric
You will then buy another boat and we can all go thru the same processes again but on a slightly larger scale.
One thing about it one learns a lot to either take in or disregard from all this chit chat.

I am a great beliver in the newer anchors as there has been considerable research gone into their development some good and
some not so good.
If one fins an old anchor doing the job then ok but sometimes the newer units do have more holding power and the anchor is the best insurance you can but for
your boat.

Benn

Benn,
Funny you should mention that as a guy called me today returning my call of a month ago about a larger boat. Now I'm think'in about it again.
Yes a lot of thought went into these new anchors Benn but a lot of thought went into the old anchors too. In our country one dosn't need a better product to land a lot of sales.
All that's necessary is that the product be largely new. I'm a big fan of the Danforth anchor because I have one that works very well. I have'nt tested it in a 50 knot gale and if it held there I'd say it's perfect ** ...perfect enough. I was a supporter of the claws to the extent I considered them a fairly good anchor but I've seen too many of them dragging on their sides w only one or 2 flukes in the sand. I've never been a fan of CQRs and only briefly for Forfjords. And thousands of boaters are cruising without mishap with these anchors. But I held firm at anchor w a spacey looking new style anchor in a 50 knot gale and the that anchor only weighed 13lbs. All I want is an easily handled by hand anchor that will be safe for my boat. It's not unobtainium*** ..the Fortress is such an anchor and I may very well wind up w one soon.

Eric, you're talking of going for a Fortress and you have an XYZ on order. Cancel it quick is my advice, because if you insist on hauling by hand, the Fortress sounds to be the goer....

Yes Peter. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and tell him if he can't seem to get the thing here he should just send the money back. One way or the other. Rex sent me a nice e-mail about what you guys call an anchor buddy and we call a Sentinel or Kellet. It's a weight (10 to 20lbs) that has it's own deployment and retrieval line. The weight slides
down and later up the anchor line to help keep the rode low at the anchor shank much like the catenary from a chain. By using the buddy I can hand deploy a lot heavier ground tackle as it's deployed in 2 installments*** ...not all together. That way I can use an anchor that has less low scope performance and have more of same. I have a Supreme that should be a fairly good rock anchor and the Fortress should take care of most anything else. Re:*** your post the XYZ weighs only 18lbs.

Actually I nearly suggested an anchor buddy to you once before Eric, as it does seem to provide one answer to you specific situation, and I can't see why it would not work, but I couldn't remember the name. Of course there are those who maintain a kellet makes little difference, but to me the physics says it should.

Delfin, just curious as to why you have not considered the Forfjord as they are on a quite a few boats in Anacortes.* Last Sunday the wife and I drove up to Anacortes for brunch, did not*see your*boat but then again we did not get out of the car as it was cold. We were disappointed there was not a cozy restaurant down at the marina?* We loved the restaurant and marina before the remodel.

Peter,
I've had some thoughts about the Kellet. If one was in a 100 knot gale and one's rode was straight out and the anchor was holding firm (a SARCA no doubt) and we ran a Kellet down the rode 2'. Shouldn't make any difference. If we ran the Kellet half way down the rode the rode would basically be still straight and the RAA (rode anchor angle) would be the same. No mater where we put the Kellet the RAA would be the same. Interestingly the Kellet in the middle would cause more tension on the rode at both ends that could even cause the anchor to break out. So when we would need it most it would'nt work. In a gale of only 50 knots and mostly all line rode (that's what one would use w a Kellet) the situation would'nt be much different as the rode would be fairly straight. In a 10 knot gale the anchor line would droop (have catenary) considerably. Then a 6 lb Bruce would probably hold my Willy fine. In a 30 knot gale I know my old 14 lb Danforth Holds fine w only a few feet of chain. So when am I going to benefit from the Kellet?

Phil Fill,
You should have walked up town (just a few blocks) as there's quite a number of wonderful places to eat there. We miss all the wonderful eating out down south.
There's lot and lots of Forfjords on fish boats here Phil. Have you ever seen one like in this picture? It looks like the skipper welded on extra fluke area for mud anchoring.
Everyone thinks the Forfjord is great. My friend in the Craig area w a Willard much like my own has a 65lb Forfjord and the hydraulic reel winch most fishermen use. Unlike a Danforth the flukes on the Forfjord angle outward instead of inward like the Danforth types. A lot of boats like Carl's have the Forfjord.

Attachments

• sth71068.jpg
    sth71068.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 83
  • sth71064.jpg
    sth71064.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 62
  • sth71065.jpg
    sth71065.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 79
Those Forfjord anchors pictured are HUGE compared to the size of the boats.* My impression is although anchor's size should make an effective anchor system, it doesn't look efficient or practical for many/most recreational boats.* Where am I going wrong here?

markpierce wrote:

My impression is although anchor's size should make an effective anchor system, it doesn't look efficient or practical for many/most recreational boats.* Where am I going wrong here?
You aren't.

Mark,
They are fishermen and when it comes to anchors they think BIG and HEAVY. It's easy to criticize them but most all of them have done more anchoring than most all of us and they stay off the rocks and in a lot of bad weather too. Some fishermen use anchors that make the Forfjord look like "next generation" stuff. Ha Ha

Attachments

• sth71066.jpg
    sth71066.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 93
  • sth71067.jpg
    sth71067.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 91
nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
They are fishermen and when it comes to anchors they think BIG and HEAVY. It's easy to criticize them but most all of them have done more anchoring than most all of us and they stay off the rocks and in a lot of bad weather too. Some fishermen use anchors that make the Forfjord look like "next generation" stuff. Ha Ha
That first one looks like a Navy Babbit anchor.

OK GOOD

I needed a bit of humor today Cary.
These guys actually use these things. These old anchors are called (I'm told) a
Dreadnaught. I think their name is related to the old battleships called
Dreadnaughts (SP?). Notice in the 2nd picture the first run of chain is the super heavy studded style chain. Most of these fishermen have decending sizes of chain (2 or 3 sizes)
starting w super heavy (6'), then very heavy (8') then fairly heavy (50') and then heavy nylon line. About half are all chain. The boat end is sometimes wire rope. This is one of the reasons I believe rode weight is of more value close to the anchor. Can't think of any other reason these fishermen would do this. But wondering why fishermen do what they do is not unlike wondering why cats do what they do.

nomadwilly wrote:

Phil Fill,
You should have walked up town (just a few blocks) as there's quite a number of wonderful places to eat there. We miss all the wonderful eating out down south.
There's lot and lots of Forfjords on fish boats here Phil. Have you ever seen one like in this picture? It looks like the skipper welded on extra fluke area for mud anchoring.
Everyone thinks the Forfjord is great. My friend in the Craig area w a Willard much like my own has a 65lb Forfjord and the hydraulic reel winch most fishermen use. Unlike a Danforth the flukes on the Forfjord angle outward instead of inward like the Danforth types. A lot of boats like Carl's have the Forfjord.
We did eat at a restaurant down town, but not as cozy/quaint with no marina view.

Adding to the fluke is not a bad idea?* I think the forfjord anchor I have*is not big/heavy enough so adding to the fluke to make it wider and heavier might do it.**I was going to have the flukes sharpened as I notice how sharp/pointed most of the new anchors are, which would help to dig in.* Where as the flukes and point of the forfjord are dull.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 18th of February 2011 05:04:14 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 18th of February 2011 10:57:18 PM

The best anchor in the world is the one you can't lift.

SOMERS wrote:
The best anchor in the world is the one you can't lift.
********* Sounds like a one time use anchor,** I like the security of a permanent mooring when they are available.

JohnP

Let me try this again.

Many people have had one time use anchors.

Honey did you see where the anchor went?

The best anchor in the world could weigh up to 9 tons and no body can lift that thing.

I have come to the conclusion that having several styles and weights of anchors on board wound most likely do the job depending on the conditions , at least i have a choice, depending on local knowledge.

I am running with four anchors one of which i keep at the stern for an emergency and for quick deployment, the rode is flaked in an open ended tube bag.

The type and style of anchor is determined by where you do your cruising, the weather you may encounter and the bottom conditions , as far as a rode is concerned the heavier the better.
"
In days gone by, the 8 man walking capstan was used to haul the anchor, with the crew singing songs." Yo ho ho ! and a barrel of rum".

For our sandy bottom here the proven danforth takes allot of beating.

The best anchor in the world is no good, unless it is set properly and put under strain.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Friday 22nd of April 2011 03:08:38 PM

SOMERS wrote:

The best anchor in the world is no good, unless it is set properly under strain.
*Don, Do you ever dive on your anchor and set it by hand?

Curious JohnP

**Captain John P

*We do what Christopher Columbus *and Captain Black Beard did .

*Send the " Maison de Chef " over the side for a look see.

** Question *?

*John, do you have a Polly Parrot *with you *on your boat for musical entertainment and enrichment ?

SOMERS wrote:

** Question *?

*John, do you have a Polly Parrot *with you *on your boat for musical entertainment and enrichment ?
********** Polly caught a cold from our Spring weather and took a cruise to Bermuda!

********* Take care of her for us.** Capt JohnP

*Carl.

*We are not going any where fast, the wind blows up side down *and the paint will not dry.

*It has all been done before,

*nothing is new on this earth,with the exception of computers and anchors.

*Archimedes or Pythagorus did not need *a computer.

Every thing today is push button .

*Are we going around in an ever decreasing circle.*

*Down tools, *let's all go on strike.

The cost of living *goes up *even *for a barrel of rum .

We *take a pill for a cold , when a spoonfull of honey would do, without the rum additive cousin Carl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom