Removal of swimstep in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
Considering to (temporary) remove the swimstep for bureaucratic reasons.

Any problems removing with boat in water?

Well..... If your Cali is like mine half of the swimstep bracket bolt holes are under water. Your going to have to fill the holes or run your bilge pump often?:no: Are you going to do it in the water? I guess you could put the bolts back in, but not my first choice if this is long term.

You said temporarily, I see no problem with that.* How much water can a few 3/8" holes (or whatever size they are) leak before you can seal them.* I would buy flange head bolts and put rubber washers*under the heads and insert them into the holes head out.* Then use flat washers and nuts on the inside, snug them, and voila! No more leak.* Flange head bolts would be superior to standard hex bolts and flat washers since water couln't leak between the head and the washer and migrate down the bolt, but even that wouldn't be much of a leak.

If I were to do this, I'd have plenty of spare bolts, washers, and nuts* immediately on hand in the expectation of losing*some in the water or inaccessible areas of the bilge.

If you have someone in the boat who could tap in a bung each time a bolt is removed, then the flow into the boat would be minimized. After removing the step, inserting a bolt with nitrile and flat washers would displace the bung and seal the hole. How long is temporarily? Is the taxman coming around measuring boat lengths for a tax assessment?

Or if this is a really temporary removal, just have a couple of friends in the stern stick their fingers in the holes. **
evileye.gif

Let me guess, your marina is saying you are hanging out of your slip and you have to move or you have to pay a penalty for the overhang??

Install a folding swim step?

img_59522_0_aa15153b8ea2f131cc30e95e0001f330.jpg

not a bad idea MP!
yes it is for measuring LOA for slip assignment, turns out i am 2 ft and a few inches too long for a 35' slip.
i am considering to saw off some of my pulpit instead, would need also to redo the stainless rail over the pulpit.

Yikes, *that's drastic. *

They're forcing me into a 46' slip because my 37' Cali is 46' overall (with their tape measure). *I've been in a 40 slip for 30 years, but they have a bunch of empty 46' slips they want to fill.

they are not forcing me.. just the $100+ higher cost monthly for a 40' is something i can do without.

yeah i ended up shortening my pulpit instead.
had to cut it back all the way to the anchor roller.
now i need to get the stainless rails redone to fit over the shortened pulpit..
oh well, what we dont do to save a buck...

here is "stumpy" pulpit....

i got the roller and anchor back on (after they measured the LOA).
still have to get the stainless rail fixed.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom