2 volt industrial batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Does anyone use industrial 2 volt batteries as their house bank? The 1000 amp batteries price the same as traditional AGMs and are often used in off-grid applications.

Attachments

• wind-sun_2270_7324492.jpg
    wind-sun_2270_7324492.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 911
It's an option, but you need a bunch of jumpers to make 12v. Kind of a PITA.

Our Rolls Are 2v Individual Cells

As long as you can effectively connect the cells should be fine. Our Rolls "12 EHG 375P" are comprised or 6 individual 2v cells. Makes installation super easy as each cell only weighs 40 lbs or so. Unique design eliminates cables between cells as the bolt together.

It's an option, but you need a bunch of jumpers to make 12v. Kind of a PITA.
You'd need 6 batteries to make a bank at 12V and 1000Ah.
If you did the same with 8D you'd need 4 and with 4D you'd need 5. With golf cart batteries probably need 10. So not as much of a PITA as golf cart batteries.

I would think weight of each battery would be interesting.

Richard

You'd need 6 batteries to make a bank at 12V and 1000Ah.
If you did the same with 8D you'd need 4 and with 4D you'd need 5. With golf cart batteries probably need 10. So not as much of a PITA as golf cart batteries.

I would think weight of each battery would be interesting.

Richard
Actually, the number of jumpers is better than that - since they are in series you only need one jumper between each battery. That's 5 jumpers. With 4 8D batteries in parallel you need two jumpers between each battery - that's 6 jumpers. With 5 4D batteries there would be 8 jumpers.

For the golf cart batteries - a pair needs 1 jumper to make it 12V - so that 5 jumpers. Then the 5 pairs would require another 8 jumpers. Total 13 jumpers.

So in fact these 2V batteries would be the lowest PITA of all the above options :whistling:

Richard

Good points...

Interesting option.

It would appear that I am about to get some schooling on this topic. Subsequent to an accepted offer I leave Wednesday for survey and sea trial of a boat named Libra currently in the Netherlands. Specs refer to 12X2 volt house bank and I think that is pictured here on the lower two levels. This is just one of many peculiarities (such as a keel cooled/dry stack Mercedes NA main) of this boat that begs the question as I embark on this adventure.......

"what the hell was I thinking?"

In theory, if she passes on Friday in the Netherlands, she will load a few days later in Belgium onto a ship headed for BC to arrive in late May.

Again, the question.........

Attachments

• Libra battery banks.jpg
    Libra battery banks.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 140
It would appear that I am about to get some schooling on this topic. Subsequent to an accepted offer I leave Wednesday for survey and sea trial of a boat named Libra currently in the Netherlands. Specs refer to 12X2 volt house bank and I think that is pictured here on the lower two levels. This is just one of many peculiarities (such as a keel cooled/dry stack Mercedes NA main) of this boat that begs the question as I embark on this adventure.......

"what the hell was I thinking?"

In theory, if she passes on Friday in the Netherlands, she will load a few days later in Belgium onto a ship headed for BC to arrive in late May.

Again, the question.........
Does she have 24V systems? What does she have for AC?

Good luck!

Richard

One nice feature is that if one cell fail you can replace it BUT if it fails because of age you probably should replace them all.

We had a bank of 2V cells on our last SY, rated 1200Ah @ 24V. Dashew has been using them as well for many years in their boats, incl. the FPB range.
Better than any other lead acid battery we had before, charging, discharging and loss of performance after 3 years living aboard.
more details here:
HOPPECKE Batterien - OPzV

Does she have 24V systems? What does she have for AC?

Good luck!

Richard

She has 12+24+220+380. I think the Mastervolt may be able to handle incoming US shore power in which case I could use the current appliances as is, but if not, I will have to add a transformer. Then I will have to think about how to run appliances I add that do not like this voltage and frequency. Let me tell you, I have lots to learn about the suitability of all kinds of things about this boat and not a lot of time to learn it. To make matters worse, I am already pretty emotionally committed to making this work somehow so I am sure trouble lies ahead. C'este le vie. Once again, reason shall not apply here.

Let the fun begin!!!
Don't try to change things before you get her home, then think carefully.

I have 12dc +32dc +110dc +120ac +240ac and a minor 24dc tapped off the 110dc house bank.
Some changes no problem, some no way

Best wishes, it looks interesting.

Ted

Yikes I hope you are getting that boat for really really really cheap; they sure are pretty though. Go through all the AC electrical issues very thoroughly with someone who has experience with these Euro conversions. On the east coast, that's someone like Ward's Marine Electric in Ft. Lauderdale.

One nice feature is that if one cell fail you can replace it BUT if it fails because of age you probably should replace them all.
Just like life, really.

"One nice feature is that if one cell fail you can replace it BUT if it fails because of age you probably should replace them all."

That is IF you catch the failure very early , and the failed cell ddid not cause overcharging and failure of the remaining cells.

Many folks will limit each string of 6v deep cycles to just 2 pair , so fewer batts have to be purchased when a single one dies.

INdustrial 2v cells

Does anyone use industrial 2 volt batteries as their house bank? The 1000 amp batteries price the same as traditional AGMs and are often used in off-grid applications.

Makobuilders: Yes, we are using 2v industrial cells for our house batteries. We are using industry type 18-D85-29 cells. At times referred to as 'Forklift' batteries. Pluses include heaver plate construction, longer expected life, and no issues from paralleling multiple individual 12v batteries. One downside is they typically have a higher antimony content which increases battery life, but somewhat reduced recharging efficiency.

Overall we are happy with them. We spend 8+mo of the year away from any shore power, living fully on our batteries. This year we will begin our 9th year on these cells, and they show little degradation with our usage.

Doing it over again I would consider them, but to be honest might look harder at a smaller battery bank made up of L16 sized cells. Or more likely LiFeP04 technology (today). Part of the consideration is our usage pattern: Consumption, Solar, movement + DC Generator. All combined the bank we have is a bit larger then needed. But then again, it is nice to be able to sit at anchor for a week or more and not need to run the Generator.

-al-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom