I've Kinda Figured Out What I Want! So What Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
I don't see winches and so forth, for sail handling, in the Shucker pictures. Not obvious what it takes -- and where you have to be -- to raise and lower any sails...

Perhaps I can't see it because I'm only a novice at actual sailing...

Anyway, it looks significantly different from the Nauticat motorsailers we shopped on, long ago....

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. f. Good grief! 1200 rpm on one engine? Severely underloaded. It's gonna self destruct! Or worse... :eek:

This would be my choice in that price range, but maybe the cockpit isn't big enough for you.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1984-fisher-mark-ii-pilothouse-ketch-5451086/#.VwD_rzZ97x4

Or if that doesn't have enough space, the Gulfstars are good value. They are a bargain because they have a reputation of being rolly. The motorsailers solve that problem, but still are in the same price range as the non-sail version.

1975 Gulfstar 44 MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That Gulfstar seems to have a good sized engine room !

Or if that doesn't have enough space, the Gulfstars are good value. They are a bargain because they have a reputation of being rolly. The motorsailers solve that problem, but still are in the same price range as the non-sail version.

1975 Gulfstar 44 MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Looked at that boat back in January. The broker I contacted wasn't the listing broker and off and on spent the last 2 months pulling teeth trying to get a couple questions answered. Just decided to put in a low offer a couple days ago, and found the "sale pending" notice on YW :facepalm:

Oh well, just adds to my dislike of brokers. . .I visited the boat though, 4 hour personal inspection. . .I will say, it was almost too big. Also has a laundry list of big ticket items to be fixed. I hope whoever buys it gets a good survey :whistling:

I like the MKI interior layout better, it's more reflects the trawler layout. This one had the mast coming right down into the middle of the salon and it bothered the crap out of me.

Much research and many more things to ponder on. Some of the Schuckers have been "trawlerized", so I assume they either didn't have the winches or they were removed.

About buying and selling short term, I think the Bayliner could be bought and sold a couple years later for about what it was purchased for?

If that Schucker was for sale here in Australia - even considering the exchange rate - I would snap it up !!

I love how all of you are saying you'd snap it up, none having seen it or checked it out. Typically when something sounds too good to be true, it is.

Consider the sails a get home engine.

Consider the sails stabilizers!!!! And surprisingly, many M/S have twin engines!!! I have seen a Fisher with twin baby Lehmans!

Nauticats are awesome boats.....but boy are the pricey!!! Cheoy Lee made some nice M/S as well. If I were going to cruise the world, it would be in a motorsailer.

I love how all of you are saying you'd snap it up, none having seen it or checked it out. Typically when something sounds too good to be true, it is.

Just going on what data we have and assuming it is good data. That is all. Oh yeah...and spending someone else's money!!! Which is always fun!!!

This is an Outer Reef 36 with sail assist . It's the same hull and builder as our 32 but stretched out with split cabin and sails added. This boat came through our marina several years ago before we bought William . We meet the couple and spent a few days with them talking boats and hanging out . They were in their way back to Texas from the Bahamas and Turks/ Caicos on this boat . He said the sail only really helped with the roll .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 202
This is an Outer Reef 36 with sail assist . It's the same hull and builder as our 32 but stretched out with split cabin and sails added. This boat came through our marina several years ago before we bought William . We meet the couple and spent a few days with them talking boats and hanging out . They were in their way back to Texas from the Bahamas and Turks/ Caicos on this boat . He said the sail only really helped with the roll .

On many boats that's their primary use. Fancy stabilizers.

The Coot's hull is pure motorboat (a motorsailer's hull will be sailboat-like) My sail-assist rig is helpful when wind is from abeam (but most of my boating is up- and down-wind.) With a ten knot wind from abeam and both sails up, the boat's speed is increased by about a half-knot if operating at less than hull-speed.

Last edited:
Im a big MS fan. I just couldnt find one I liked enough to purchase. Most of the Fishers I looked at were worn out. And the engine rooms were.. well, not engine rooms. More like engine closets. But I do like motor sailors and when I can afford a Shannon HPS 53, I think I will buy one.
NewBoatsShannon531.gif

No fly(ing) bridge, bligh?

And while we are dreaming....I LOVE the Nordhavn 56MS!!!!

Im a big MS fan. I just couldnt find one I liked enough to purchase. Most of the Fishers I looked at were worn out. And the engine rooms were.. well, not engine rooms. More like engine closets. But I do like motor sailors and when I can afford a Shannon HPS 53, I think I will buy one.
NewBoatsShannon531.gif
Didn't Shannon start building one of these for Bob Bitchen from the Lattitudes and Attitudes magazine ? I don't think they ever finished the build and the boat is for sale now.

Didn't Shannon start building one of these for Bob Bitchen from the Lattitudes and Attitudes magazine ? I don't think they ever finished the build and the boat is for sale now.

I think that is a correct statement. I asked him personally and I think I remember him saying it was a money deal related to the hostile takeover of the magazine.

With a ten knot wind from abeam and both sails up, the boat's speed is increased by about a half-knot if operating at less than hull-speed.

What is the speed at these conditions with no motor running?

Schucker 440 Motorsailer Tidak Apa

Bruce Van Sant is the author.

Look up and read the above if you have ANY interest in the Schucker. I read about these boats quite a few years ago. Several members had one a few years back. Maybe they could comment if they are still around.
It may not be your cup of tea but according to Mr Van Sant it was a GOOD vessel and he cruised it for many years including the Caribbean.

Schucker 440 Motorsailer Tidak Apa

Bruce Van Sant is the author.

Look up and read the above if you have ANY interest in the Schucker. I read about these boats quite a few years ago. Several members had one a few years back. Maybe they could comment if they are still around.
It may not be your cup of tea but according to Mr Van Sant it was a GOOD vessel and he cruised it for many years including the Caribbean.

Great article. Entertaining & informative. Thank you.

Anyone buying a trawler would gather from very useful information this, especially ex-sailboat owners.

If those pix really represent the current condition of the Shucker what are you wasting time here for. Go for it.

Just add a steering wheel and she's ready to go.

Great link C letric. Nice boat with good layout .

That very boat used to live on my dock in Texas. I drooled over it daily. What ever happened to the people that owned it?
Also are the other 36's like it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom