View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #18
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A nice independent study link would be interesting.

The only experience I have professionally with galvanic protection and measuring the effectiveness of zinc is to measure the difference in protection once zinc is attached to see if the metal is properly protected. Using the silver-silver chloride probe and a multimeter.

Corrosion Reference Electrode Product Specifications

The rate at which a zinc dissipates may have little to do with it's quality...and the perceived quality over protection...it's all about protection in the long run.
Do you have and do you use one or these? If so... do you use it relatively often and do you feel it has merit?

Regarding anode performance and life span: I've always run under the premise that as long as good zincs are used and well affixed to pre cleaned surfaces that rate and decline of zinc size is relative to and dependent upon electrical activity in water where docked as well possible stray DC current in boat.

Do you feel Corrosion Reference Electrode and User's Guide
by ABYC-Certified Corrosion Experts could/would improve my boat's zinc use qualifications? Or, is this Corrosion Reference Electrode simply to let you know if zincs are well attached to boat parts and if surrounding water is "hot" with AC as well as if boat may be "hot" with stray DC?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote