I Will Pay The $$. Which Anchor Is Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My vote for the best single anchor on the bow intended to do everything very well with the probable exception short scope performance. The four represent (IMO) the best for you relative to your needs stated. Once you pick an anchor size can be considered.
1. SARCA
2. Spade
3. Supreme
4. Rocna

But Eric, what anchor is on your bow? I've always associated you with a claw.

My twin axial, versa-articulating mega-mod Fortress Ultra ZX has never let me down. Seriously though, regardless of scoop I might use on the pulpit, a standard backup is a Fort FX 37 for bow and 23 for stern.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 101
Second the Mantus or similar anchor. 45 lb Mantus barely fits on my roller but I was so pleased with it on my previous boat I put a Delta 45 on it and kept the Mantus.

Tom

Larry, your anchor needs a Flux Gate Regulator.

I have had great performance from my SARCA EXCEL

Kevin, how about a close up picture of it on your anchor roller when you have a chance?

Kevin, how about a close up picture of it on your anchor roller when you have a chance?

I traded my Genuine Bruce for a Sarca Excel, have not had as much anchor time as Kevin but really like it the few times we used it last year. This year it should get a good workout, here are some photos on our PT38 of the Bruce and Excel.

Attachments

• Bruce:Excel.jpg
    Bruce:Excel.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Bruce.jpg
    Bruce.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Excel.jpg
    Excel.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 200
ok

This is an 80 lb model. I have 550' of 5/16 HT chain.

The boat is 53' OAL, approx 40,000 lbs, medium windage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
And remember, an anchor is something that you might eventually lose. You don't want to leave a $1000 anchor on the bottom.

Precisely the reason why I felt it was so important that Steve, in his 'anchor setting videos', was able to reassure folk that the rock slot on the Super Sarca was safe to use. (Which he has done, and rather well, page 17, post 323). Because if you are not using it for fear of it tripping at a bad time, Murphy's law dictates that would be when it fouled, and, as you say, good anchors are not cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. Kevin, I think your anchor pulpit design has a slot. That is similar to the boat that I am likely buying. Here is a photo, not the same boat but the same design. My boat also has about a 45 lbs CQR copy on it now like this boat does.

That excel seems like it would fit.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 614
Thanks for the photos. Kevin, I think your anchor pulpit design has a slot. That is similar to the boat that I am likely buying. Here is a photo, not the same boat but the same design. My boat also has about a 45 lbs CQR copy on it now like this boat does.

That excel seems like it would fit.

Yep...if that was my boat, getting an Excel in place of that CQR would be my first priority...but I'm biased...I had a CQR...once... :whistling:

Yeah, I have a real CQR on my current boat. Never have dragged an anchor once it set, but at times it can be a pain to get to set. I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.

The CQR was the cruising standard for years. My observation is that it has been replaced by the new generation of anchors.

Walking the boat yards in St. Lucia and Martinique one sees hundreds of boats which anchor out almost all the time. The CQRs have disappeared and have been replaced by Rocnas, Deltas, Supremes and a couple other new anchors.

As far as size goes,when people laugh at the size (as in too big not too small)of your anchor it's getting close.
Modern spared types seem to rule the roost these days.I have had good times with the Manson Supreme however most the others are good.
I reckon something like this will stop you blowing away.

Attachments

• 1_lg.jpg
    1_lg.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 130
Yeah, I have a real CQR on my current boat. Never have dragged an anchor once it set, but at times it can be a pain to get to set. I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.

Dave, the time that decided me it had to go would have been hilarious - to any onlookers, that is - not to me. We had cruised into an anchorage on North Stradbroke Island here in Moreton Bay, called Myora, and it was about half tide, with light breeze and only a moderate tidal current. I dropped the CQR, backed up, it appeared to have set, so I put on a brew. We were sitting there enjoying, when I suddenly noticed that we were no longer opposite the same vessel we were when we first 'set' the anchor. Bugger, I said, mildly, we've dragged. Ok, no sweat, the anchorage is known to have a bit of weed on the bottom here and there, so I started the engine, up-anchored, motored slowly to the right place to drop to be clear of other boats once bedded in, but at a slightly different spot to try and avoid the weed. We had had the boat nearly 2 years at the time, and like you, by bitter experience, sort of expected to have to do the odd re-set.:blush:

Same thing happened..! :nonono:My bugger became, well, a bit stronger...especially as about 6 attempts later we had still not managed a set that stuck. That was it. We up-anchored, went elsewhere, not as nice, but a sticky mud bottom where anything sticks, just by its own weight really, and I decided we didn't need a bigger boat, but we sure as hell needed a better anchor.:mad:

A few weeks later happened to be the Sanctuary Cove Boat show. I saw Rex demonstrating the Sarca, aided by a really interesting video, decided that's the anchor for me, and the rest, as they say, was history,. That was 12 years ago.:whistling::D

Last edited:
Cruisers can not change bottom conditions or predict the weather , so a LARGE sized (no watchfob ) will usually give the most secure O' nite anchoring.

A true storm anchor (usually stowed below ) is also required for when the weather guesser gives a warning.

We use a trip line that is secured to the crown , threaded thru the bail on a float ball, and ended with a sounding lead. Most times it will self adjust to be directly over the anchor , letting the next arrivals understand your anchor set.

But FF when I had to buck up to a 50 knot gale I used my primary anchor (on that 1000 mile trip) that was a modified 18lb XYZ Extreme. Held fine w no perceivable dragging. To adhere to your storm anchor switch and swap I should probably have a 10lb XYZ as primary.

FWIW, I sent the individual in Victoria that Sean referenced as a possible future Anchor Right distributor an email yesterday. I will let y'all know what I hear back. I also just sent a message directly to Anchor Right inquiring about getting a Sarca Excel to the states.

It would be nice to see Canada Metals give Steve a Vulcan to test. The price of the Vulcan looks pretty good compared to the Spade.

WE replaced a CQR with a Rocna and never looked back. As with others, fit the biggest anchor your windlass will handle and plenty of chain. With a 40Kg Rocna on chain our 65K lb trawler never once dragged in even big blows. It set easily and almost immediately in most situations. One notable exception was when we attempted to anchor just off the USCG Station at Cape May. Turned out we had managed to impale a full size concrete building block on the pointed end of the Rocna!!

You might as well have asked which religion is best? Take a walk around marinas near your area of operation and see what the majority of boats have hanging off the bow. Here in Alaska, I have had great success with a 90lb Delta Fast Set, but it may be useless in your area. As FF said, get the biggest one your windlass will haul but don't forget to add the weight of the chain hanging down. The only anchor that's too heavy is one you can't lift.

AT,
Fortunetly there are plenty of anchors and too many religions.

In search of the Holy Ground Tackle (which people originally thought was a "grail")...I found it in Isle Of Hope marina near Savannah, Ga.

I doubt the guy will part with it...but the murmers all around the campfire...."it IS the best"....;)

Attachments

• 20160325_192636_resized_1.jpg
    20160325_192636_resized_1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20160325_192645_resized_1.jpg
    20160325_192645_resized_1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 124

That excel seems like it would fit.[/

A little different angle on my Sarca Ex Cel.

img_429639_0_af68a7e035d3e15490cb507b69eb3c5e.jpg

Typical anchors here. It's hard to find current generation anchors at our marina. Maybe because they don't leave the marina. Perhaps they rarely anchor. Perhaps the anchors work fine.

Last edited:
I had two 45 CQRS on my Island Packet 38 with 3/8 BBB and it never dragged but then went to 5/16 High test for new windlasses' that I got and it started to drag. Got a 55LB Manson and it's never dragged yet. Just my two cents.

... I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.

The claw has been reliable to set quickly (and stay fixed every six-hour, 360-degree change in tidal durrent), for me, at a small fraction of the cost of a Rocna.

Last edited:
I'm just a gal, but ...you said only have room for one anchor on bow. that would be my first concern. I have one forward on my windlass, it's a Manson Supreme. It's the bomb and I rarely worry. BUT, have two others aboard, aside from the stern anchor and I'm way smaller than you.

It is the best! Love them manson's and have one. Stop in a second and I sleep well!

Back
Top Bottom