Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #27
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Some boats don't have gensets. Some of the gensets are broken.

I much prefer to cook with gas. So does my wife. So much so that when we moved to a new (to us) home, we took out a working electric range and installed a gas range. We had to have the gas line extended to it.
You said you didn't understand how anyone would choose electric. I simply stated while we did, not why you or anyone else should. We have gensets. Our gensets are not broken. We also get excellent results even with electric grills.

As to cooktops, we use induction. I know how many women want gas because they feel it reaches higher temperatures but in cooking, reaching a maximum temperature is rarely very important unless you're going for the temperatures of commercial ovens, which reach over 1000 degrees. Conventional ovens set at 450 degrees are going to be 450 degrees regardless of electric or gas. Gas may get there quicker.

To me there's a huge difference between having gas in my home and having propane on the boat. We have a commercial kitchen at home and it's gas. But we also have had very careful piping, know where all the disconnects are, and how to turn the gas supply off before it reaches the house. That's not like a propane tank, where storage for extras on a boat becomes an issue. Plus as often as we grill on a boat, we'd be constantly needing new tanks.

So, I have no fault with those who prefer propane. I just don't.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote